Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel consumption unimportant?

Views : 3679

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 15:45   #41
Grimble
Grimble

Add people driving 'economically' on the inside lane of motorways, causing trucks to occupy the middle lane overtaking them and causing tailbacks, to my list of pet hates.
Unlike middle lane hoggers, there's not much you can do but sit and fume.

Now that the M6 from J11 to 13 is four lanes, you now even get double middle lane hogging. Its surprising how often the inside lane is completely empty, and yet you need to use lane 4 to get past.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 22:30   #42
gjd
Premier Member

Hello
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I applaud your Tea dedication.... After working for Kenco for 7yrs, if I never see another cup of coffee it won't be too soon. Coffee is only consumed when either no tea or rubbish tea is available. Yorkshire tea is nice but I'm partial to Cardamom tea too.... Nice
Special Tippy Assam for me - brew properly in a pot, and add a splash of milk. For coffee, I use an Aeropress and use Sainsbury's Double Dark, but for special occasions I go to a coffee roaster in the City and get a quarter of their special espresso roast, ground specifically for the Aeropress.

Quote:
Re MPG, my 50 isn't great on fuel to be honest but if I keep it to 65 I can maintain 51mpg. If I refit my EGR blanking plate I can get 56mpg, wished I knew where I'd put it though. My 50 gives 43mpg overall which is respectable for the cars age, I've no issue with it
Drove back from the North East today, in no particular hurry. I kept the van at 60, making pace with the trucks in the inside lane. Filled up again as I arrived back home, and used Fuelly to see how I'd done. The van averages around 34mpg, but this trip averages out at 47! A motorway journey at 70 would top out at around 39 (again, according to fuelly), so dropping to 60 appears to have saved me aroudn £15
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 22:58   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd View Post
Hello Special Tippy Assam for me - brew properly in a pot, and add a splash of milk. For coffee, I use an Aeropress and use Sainsbury's Double Dark, but for special occasions I go to a coffee roaster in the City and get a quarter of their special espresso roast, ground specifically for the Aeropress.

Drove back from the North East today, in no particular hurry. I kept the van at 60, making pace with the trucks in the inside lane. Filled up again as I arrived back home, and used Fuelly to see how I'd done. The van averages around 34mpg, but this trip averages out at 47! A motorway journey at 70 would top out at around 39 (again, according to fuelly), so dropping to 60 appears to have saved me aroudn £15
yep thats how it works , wind resistance quadruples with a doubling of speed and starts becoming a real problem at 60 mph .. our engines have so much torque that you do not notice any difference in ease of running between 50 or 80 mph , it feels just as economical .
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 23:10   #44
NigelDay
Premier Member

As an aside to this discussion, I read the brief report on the Autocar fleet LR Disco Sport (AWD automatic) this week. Reads well except for the fuel consumption and range. They reckon around 32 mpg and a tank range of 350 miles. With a rather pathetic 54 litre tank capacity this is not surprising.
I would find this VERY tedious as I rarely fill up mine before 700 miles.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Aug 26th, 2016 at 23:13.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 14:14   #45
StatusRed
Premier Member

I try to drive smoothly with as little braking as I can get away with, mainly by driving to judge traffic slowly down and simply taking my foot off the accelerator to slow down rather than brake. I do this for the fuel consumption reasons and also because it feels kinder on the car!

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 20:53   #46
apersson850
Premier Member

Exactly what I mean. It's not much slower on average, but it's nicer to ride with such a driver.
But I saw very few such drivers during the trip, hence the question.

I find it not too surprising that a thread, in a UK forum, about driving habits would take a detour to the morning tea discussion. ;-)
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 11:07   #47
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Some interesting views in this piece alongside some stereotyping.

Overall it really comes down to how hard you push that throttle down as every time you do it is burning more money, letting it off early and progressively slowing seems to be something that has died out. Many people accelerate heavily unnecessarily or speed up very slowly and just then ignore the speed limit. Both sets seem to also have the trait of not slowing progressively and just do it heavily.

In relation to MPG my 640D over a tank is around 36 MPG (not bad for a car that uses A roads most of the journey to work with 313 bhp and little under 2000 kg) and thanks to lowering speed limits makes it more difficult to have a "constant" rate of speed that motorway would. Motorway work taking it easy it will settle at 47 MPG. Last run in decent conditions the BMW made it up to Chester on £26, the MX5 was nearer £40, ahh gearing for you.

In regards to middle lane hogging that is a thread alone by itself.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 11:15   #48
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Some interesting views in this piece alongside some stereotyping.

Overall it really comes down to how hard you push that throttle down as every time you do it is burning more money, letting it off early and progressively slowing seems to be something that has died out. Many people accelerate heavily unnecessarily or speed up very slowly and just then ignore the speed limit. Both sets seem to also have the trait of not slowing progressively and just do it heavily.

In relation to MPG my 640D over a tank is around 36 MPG (not bad for a car that uses A roads most of the journey to work with 313 bhp and little under 2000 kg) and thanks to lowering speed limits makes it more difficult to have a "constant" rate of speed that motorway would. Motorway work taking it easy it will settle at 47 MPG. Last run in decent conditions the BMW made it up to Chester on £26, the MX5 was nearer £40, ahh gearing for you.

In regards to middle lane hogging that is a thread alone by itself.
Burns fuel and also brakes , that is why i have seen front pads AND discs worn to the metal on a few V60/XC60's recently in 25000 miles .
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 11:40   #49
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

My pads on the BMW will only do about 15-18,000 but I doubt discs will be needed that soon!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2016, 13:23   #50
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Exactly what I mean. It's not much slower on average, but it's nicer to ride with such a driver.

Quite. With the added bonus of improved fuel consumption, which is where you came in!

But I saw very few such drivers during the trip, hence the question.

Probably on account of the much more congested roads, a sense of urgency prevails in the UK, that we have not seen in Sweden outside perhaps Stockholm and Gothenburg, and which greatly influences the driving style over here.

I find it not too surprising that a thread, in a UK forum, about driving habits would take a detour to the morning tea discussion. ;-)

Ah, the quintessential English! On the other hand, I really love your coffee - served strong and black - just as it should be!
You live in a beautiful country. It is a pleasure to drive on your roads. Sometimes, in the remoter parts, I have not seen another car for 1 - 2 hours - Bliss! Our fuel consumption is usually 25 - 33% better when in Sweden than at home, with no conscious effort or altered driving style - it is so easy to maintain smooth progress and good average speeds.

I think that is the main reason for the difference between us. In Sweden, when asked how far from 'A' to 'B', you often answer in terms of time, and not distance, and you are right! Due to the not infrequent accidents, hold-ups, congestion and poor state of many of our roads, that is just not feasible over here.

Kind regards och manga vanliga halsningar,

John.