Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG to 740

Views : 5369

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 13:58   #41
Brynogwy

Complete silence, looks like my initial thoughts of July 3rd are coming true,

"It also leaves me with the feeling that what I have been sold is not as it should be, we’ll see."

Is this what anyone calls customer service?
Brynogwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 16:25   #42
Brynogwy

Ok, found this earlier on the web

http://www.emmegas.net/downloads/eng...CM-233_ENG.pdf

Following the Emergency section instructions the switch now has output from the blue wire and it runs on gas.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:48   #43
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynogwy View Post

"It also leaves me with the feeling that what I have been sold is not as it should be, we’ll see."

Dai's last post to you was just before going to work on Wednesday. He was on lates that day and on ordinary days on Thursday so would not have been on line. Both Dai and myself have providied a great deal of support and you seem to have really been struggling with something that I know many other people have had no difficulties doing. You must appreciate that Dai has a life outside this forum which involve as with many poeple a job and family which have to come first.

I feel you owe him an apology for your comments. Whilst I was recovering from my broken foot I spent quite a bit of time supplying you with a lot of advice and a copy of installation instructions to try to help. I know i failed to follow through with (vehicle specific) wiring instructions but this was due to the fact that I was just too exhausted to spend the time going out to my hearse and pulling out the fuse board to check for sure what went where. I know Dai provided this information to you and you seemed to struggle even with that.

I am glad you are now running on gas ok.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 11:03   #44
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Thumbs up Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
Dai's last post to you was just before going to work on Wednesday.

I am glad you are now running on gas ok.

Mike
Both Dai and your self gives an enormas help to the forum , and some times dont get the thanks you deserve , but one thank you from me ,
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 13:31   #45
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:

I realy do not understand what you are getting at. You can not expect an instant reply to your every question. With only a little bit of work on your own part you were able to find instructions for the switch. If you were being charged for the support you have had on this installation of a second hand system the support would have cost more than what you paid for the system.

I'm 100% happy that all the parts you were supplied were in perfect working order when they were sent to you. I used the car myself for a few weeks and the syetem was fine. The car was also used by two other forum mumbers before the head gasget finaly went and then I stipped the car for spares.

Can I now asume you have got the switch working? Had you been adjusting the trimmer on the back?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 21:23   #46
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Complete silence,

?.......................
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 18:00   #47
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default customer service

Just read through the thread.

remark 1== buying second hand parts (especially electrical)
has always an element uncertainty in it, even though
""gguaranteed/warranted"".

remark 2 = you buy 2nd hand and install yourself to save money - which is ok
The aftermarket service you are asking would be hard to get
even for a new installation.

remark 3==Anyhow classics swede deserves credit for his advises and willingnes
The whole of this LPG section would hardly be usable without
swedes contributions.

remark 4 == since things seems be sorted out give swede some credit
for ( free )assistance

regards, brodgar
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 21:46   #48
redboy
Master Member

Just have to add my support to Dai and Mike Brace-
they've been so helpful with my LPG conversion- (and other general volvo advice) and resolved the settling in troubles and put up with my noobie nonsense. As Brodgar said buying a used system is way cheaper- especially when you do it yourself. I knew that I didn't have the knowlege to do this, so I had Dai do the whole install and paid for his time and labour. Yes, I could have just bought the system from him and asked a million questions, but would that have been fair? There is no such thing as a 'complete lpg system with instructions'-- all of the parts come from different manufacturers, and knowing what goes where and how is the result of experience.

If you'd have gone to a 'mainstream' LPG installer, you'd have paid £1500+ for your install and probably have ended up with substandard components and even more hassle, as they haven't a clue about what works with an old volvo. ...and the one by me charges £70 an hour for diagnosis- without any gurantee of resolution.

But the bottom line is slamming people on forums is so not cool at best, and bordering on libelous at worst. You could have posted the same questions without the tone and recieved the same help.

The Volvo community is not large, and such an attitude towards some of our most respected members is not helpful- others may be less inclined to offer our support to you in the future for fear of being on the recieving end- I know I'm in that camp.

-Brian
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redboy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 17:28   #49
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Thanks for the support Brain,

the car the kit came off was the white 740 you loaned while we did your 245. The water useage quickly got worse blowing steam out the exhaust where the head gasget had totaly failed. It had not long been done before I got the car but some idiot put a 2.3 gasget on a 2ltr causing problems. With all the other bits that needed to be done to the car the sensible thing was to scrap it but at least I knew the kit was good.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:44   #50
Brynogwy

It seems many have opinions on this matter even though they are not aware of all the facts. This shows a lack of intelligence.

My initial contact was on the 26th March 2010 enquiring about fitting lpg to my 940, after many emails I decided that it would be more beneficial to obtain a 2.3 pre-cat 740 which had better towing capabilities. The price for a diy system on this model was given to me on the 23rd May.

On the 11th June I was contacted with an offer of a second hand kit, and on the 16th June I asked the following,

“Can you supply fitting instructions and any help needed?”

his reply

“I more than happy to give you advice on the fitting etc as you go with it and provide any help where needed”

At 4pm on the 21st June the payment was in his account, kit arrived on the 24th and a promise to send instructions was made on the 25th. These instructions never arrived and he failed to respond to any emails.
I emailed his father who was good enough to step in and send some details on the 5th of July.

These details which are supposedly supplied with diy kits are far from “good” and make it obvious that they do not want you to carry out the work yourself, any questions raised later are not fully explained in detail.
After many poor responses to my questions I again decided that the only way to try and get the information required was to post on this forum (see Sept 2). It is only then that classicswede again becomes involved and the quality of information supplied is plain to see.

I have received many excuses over the months about being busy yet he responds to and tries to secure more business on line as a self appointed lpg Guru who frequently derides the work of others.

I have no need to kiss any ones backside, I just want what any consumer requires.

Exactly what they were promised.

This is my last post on this thread and in my opinion any potential customers for lpg kits should choose their supplier wisely.

Last edited by Brynogwy; Oct 22nd, 2010 at 13:37.