Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 v70 rear brake pad replacement

Views : 20396

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2013, 10:47   #41
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It does say words to that effect on the leaflet inside the pad box doesnt it?
Hi Clan, Do you ever get the feeling that no-one is listening to you!! Please don't stop giving advice and helping others on this Forum, I am listening to you and have "Bookmarked" several of your helpful tips. I was going to buy one of those electronic gadgets for winding back the rear callipers some time ago but why bother when, as you said, "Just buy some volvo rear pads and the leaflet inside should explain how to change them!"

Cheers, Grant
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 10:55   #42
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Hi Clan, Do you ever get the feeling that no-one is listening to you!! Please don't stop giving advice and helping others on this Forum, I am listening to you and have "Bookmarked" several of your helpful tips. I was going to buy one of those electronic gadgets for winding back the rear callipers some time ago but why bother when, as you said, "Just buy some volvo rear pads and the leaflet inside should explain how to change them!"

Cheers, Grant
Hello Grant ,
Yes i do feel that no one listens or takes much notice , but the one or two that do , sometimes benefit so it is all worthwhile !
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 13:13   #43
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post

Cheers, Grant
Quote:
Hello Grant ,
Yes i do feel that no one listens or takes much notice , but the one or two that do , sometimes benefit so it is all worthwhile !
It does seem that for some there is just no hope! You only need to look at the amount of post about previous models we get in this section, to see some clearly don't read the info properly.

For the rest of us, Clan we appreciate your wisdom and extensive knowledge.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 20:27   #44
foxytwofour

I have bought an autel maxiest 201 an wondered if you could let me have the v 108 update so I can use it on my volvo v70 2009
paul fox
foxytwofour at hotmail.com
foxytwofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 17:58   #45
gaita17
GAITA17

Default change pads without epb or volvo equipment

Hi all, here is a copy from the genuine Volvo v70 rear pads instructions that explains how to do the job without the epb tool neither connecting it to Volvo equipment. I did it myself and straight forward job

v70 brakes rear.jpg
gaita17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaita17 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 12:57   #46
Royth
Roy

gaita17
Thanks for posting the jpg, unfortunatly the scan is quite pixelated and difficult to read the text, any chance you can rescan it at a better quality?

Thank you

Roy
Royth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 16:28   #47
ian.stone

Default You don't need a tool

If you buy genuine Volvo discs the instructions in the box tell you to use a torx driver to wind the motors back to home.
ian.stone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian.stone For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 07:32   #48
Liliflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by malillma View Post
Hi all! I just bought a MaxiEST EST201 with it does not have software to communicate with my Volvo V70 2009 :-(. Seller can not, or is unwilling to, provide the files needed to update the device. Is there anyone here who can help me?
MaxiEST EST201 is quite a old stuff on newer Volvo models. Autel has upgraded it MaxiService EBS301, covers newer models I think. but the price updated too, 100 euro or so. There is smaller plug-and-play QUICKLYNKS EP31 EPB tool, fits new Volvo S80, (2007 and onwards), V70( 2008 and onwards), XC70 (2008 and onwards),XC60( 2010 and onwards),S60 (2011 and onwards), and 50 euro well packed

Last edited by Liliflower; Jul 14th, 2015 at 08:06.
Liliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2015, 21:28   #49
Weemac

Hi. I did this myself earlier this year. I ended up buying an Autel EBS301 for the job.
Would have been cheaper letting Dealer change them. It took about an hour to do both rear pads. That's from parking up to driving off. The tool is easy to use but the engine needs to be off, but at prime stage. I had problems with other tools as I also have the keyless drive & couldn't get the system to work. persistence paid off.
I'm willing to loan my tool to anyone near by but that's in sw Scotland.
We were advised for 2 years in a row by dealer to change the pads but when I came to change them they still had at least 4mm left. I could have waited another year.
There are methods of manually winding the epb back but I would advise against it as there are potential other parts that could get damaged in the process & the EPB tool does it so easily along with removing the fault code when all is complete.
Weemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 20:57   #50
quevatre
Andre in Guernsey

Default V70 rear brakes

Quote:
The motors have to be retracted by connecting to the volvo workshop computer , only then can the pistons be squeezed back in .. Then the motors have to be re set and an installation check done .
Hi. I have just replaced the rear discs and pads on my 2008 V70 and it was simple. Once the calipers are off, remove the electric motors and use a torque drive to wind the calliper in by turning the screw clockwise until it stops.

Push the piston back as normal and replace everything as normal. Once the car is off the ramp/jack, start the motor and pump the pedal a few times to bed the pads against the disc as normal. Then, press the park brake on then off three times.

No computer. No warning lights. No hassle.

Hope this helps.
quevatre is offline   Reply With Quote