Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Top Gear On Caravanning

Views : 7844

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 15:37   #41
George Holmer

Clarkson takes the **** out of everyone and everything, including himself. That is why he is a must to watch. I am neutral on the subject of caravans. I am not usually in a hurry on the roads although I sure know how to drive fast but if I get stuck, so what.

Oh, and if your stomach is too weak for Clarkson, switch of the telly. There are loads of PC self-righteous people on the box to watch if you're into that.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 23:40   #42
Andys101

Default caravaning

Well don't some of you lot have "issues"
I'm 33 have been caravaning for 3 years, went on my honeymoon in one.
i dont create traffic as i keep to the speed limits (i drive a s70) i have just come back from 2 weeks in Devon in the van.
my van has a fitted double bed and a flushing toilet with a shower, a 4 ring gas hob a full gas oven, thermostat controlled blown air heating plus lots of other creature comforts.
Whilst on holiday i watched clarkson and it made my sides hurt i laughed so much.
on the way back i was stuck in traffic jams on the m3 m25 m26 and m20 caused by accidents none of which involved caravans. All probably by someone speeding.
i worked as a recovery operator for 5 years and never attended an accident involving a caravan.
If you see red when driving for any reason pull off the road take a deep breath and a little walk and calm down before you continue your journey because you are not fit to drive because you cannot make proper judgment calls.
and finally ..... lighten up everyone.
Andys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:48   #43
J..M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys101
Well don't some of you lot have "issues"
Ain't that the trooth .........

Anyways, I troll quite a few mobile chipshops around ......... Same kinda thing, other than the stink of chip fat you can't get out of yas pores .

Best thing bouts caravanning & travel genrally is the getting there (& back if poss) the rest of it is quite dull
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:29   #44
dodgyken
Master Member

Every Dutchman and his family was on the road yesterday with his caravan in tow.

We drove back from a nice weekend in Antwerp (back to Zurich) - 700km of motorway driving. We were quick to realise that the Dutch were making a bid to invade southern Europe. Throughout Belguim the bloody things were jamming the motorways. I have no problem with them really, just the inconsiderate ones who travel below lorry speed - IE forcing lorries to overtake!!

I have no problems with caravanners - especially those who know what they are doing - but as with every type of person - it only takes a couple of idiots to give the whole lot a bad name
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:06   #45
LankyTim
Missing the point

Default Important announcement

Id just like to announce for the benfit of other road users that I will be taking my caravan from Stoke-onTrent down to Devon (or Wales) on next friday, and returning on tuesday, so any caravan hating busy-body Damon Hill wannabees have chance to stay indoors to avoid any frustration.

Ill be the one in the centre lane of the M5 doing 50 mph (40 on hills)

Thankyou.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:50   #46
perussell

[i worked as a recovery operator for 5 years and never attended an accident involving a caravan.

Where on earth were you 'recovering' from? I would never accuse caravanners of being any more susceptible to accidents than anybody else but in my weekly jaunts up and down the M-ways in recent years I have lost count of the number of overturned caravans (& cars and trucks) I have seen clogging up the M-ways. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a crane recovering a caravan "shell' i.e. what was left of it from down a verge between J16 and 17 of the M4 though I guess this one wasn't clogging up the road since he/she had the foresight to "park" it off the carriageway!
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:08   #47
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim
Ill be the one in the centre lane of the M5 doing 50 mph (40 on hills)

And I'll be the one in the DAF XF-530 overtaking you on the inside shouting and swearing........
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:16   #48
Grizlyadams
RWD FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Man
And I'll be the one in the DAF XF-530 overtaking you on the inside shouting and swearing........
Till the daf blows up...i mean...a daf truck...seriously...
Get a volvo truck rupert!
Griz
Grizlyadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:22   #49
ChrisGrant

Almost as funny as watching Top Gear!!!!!

Thanks GUYS

How do you load a Caravan so you can tow it 'safely' at 70mph??

Balance the weight of the cavavan so you can hold it at the hitch maybe?????
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:33   #50
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Man
How will I know its you though, out of all the other truckers shouting and swearing? LOL
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote