Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fake T5?

Views : 7540

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:35   #41
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
£850 was very steep even for a T5 saloon at that milage with no history IMO, looks tidy enough though. I still can't see it selling. Maybe at half the price....

Cheers,
John
While the 'Buy it now' price is GB 850, there is also provision made to 'Make an offer'.

So, if he can't get the 'Buy it now' price - someone might end up getting it for a far lesser figure through the 'Make an offer' facility, as he explained his mate doesn't want this Volvo because he is anticipating taking delivery of a new vehicle soon.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:53   #42
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
yes you should be able to tell a turbo compared to non turbo
Would you believe there are many Volvo owners who cannot? If you don't believe me, take a look through the various Volvo forums on the internet and you will see it interlaced with queries from owners who are very uncertain about this particular aspect.

Quote:
i would have thought esp if you have owned the car
Please read the advert thoroughly and comprehend what is being said.

The eBayer clearly explained his mate apparently got this Volvo as part payment for his old vehicle and has had it for about a week (and my guess is he hasn't driven it much either - if at all). He is plainly not interested in keeping this Volvo and is selling it to simply turn it into a cash amount he initially anticipated receiving for his old vehicle.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:19   #43
cam
Premier Member

well he found out it wasent a t5 by looking in the log book , perhaps this would have been a good way to list the item in the first place, and yes he has
changed his listing thank's to the questions people have sent him which is just as well or somebody who has scrimped and saved for a t5 would be out
of pocket,genuine or not you have to get the listing right or dont list it.
i have recently bought a mobile phone off ebay 2nd hand and if the seller had listed it as
being locked i would not have bought it as now i have to get it unlocked (extra cash)
just as well it was only a tenner, anymore and it would have been neg feedback and bad feeling's all through a simple listing mistake,as it is the guy has been decent enough to offer to
pay for the unlock,no payment received yet though after 4 day's

just my opinion,and no bad feeling toward's the guy,all best,cam.

Last edited by cam; Mar 4th, 2009 at 07:34.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:56   #44
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
Hi mine says Volvo 850 T-5 Auto on logbook and Mot as well
So are we saying that a real T5 will have the above on the log book as scr8pdo does , and not GLT ,etc? as im going to be looking for one soon and i don't wish to be stung

Also was looking at an old parkers guide and that lists GLT`s turbos and CD`s turbos etc but also list the T-5 as a different model ?

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:51   #45
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
So are we saying that a real T5 will have the above on the log book as scr8pdo does , and not GLT ,etc?
Not necessarily.

I wouldn't rely on the log book for accurate description of the model - I've seen numerous mistakes.

The capacity is normally right, check the engine code from the engine bay, and look for the turbo pipework and ancilliaries.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:04   #46
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuleichan View Post
Not necessarily.

I wouldn't rely on the log book for accurate description of the model - I've seen numerous mistakes.

The capacity is normally right, check the engine code from the engine bay, and look for the turbo pipework and ancilliaries.
But the guide and this old brochure does list a GLT turbo and a CD turbo but it also lists a "T-5" Turbo, as a separate model so I'm guessing as all are turbos all will have the relevant turbo pipework and ancillaries? all my old cars have stated on the V5 what they are , i had an old E34 M5 one of the early ones and on the V5 it stated M5 as Model , my current Volvo states CD as model so surly a T-5 would state T-5 as model ?

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:59   #47
sublimecantona

hi guys

this is an interesting thread but it has got me worried.

I have a C70 T5(as it has the badge) but having looked at John C's picutre that he posted of his engine, it has got a slight diff to mine. On his air box it says Turbo and across the spark plug cover it says 20V whereas mine doesnt. Now i think that is from an 850 and not a C70 so does that mean mine is not a T5? I think my car is car quite fast esp wen i floor it but having never driven a T5 before, i cant compare it with it anything.

If i ring volvo and give my reg no, will they be able to clarify this??
Thanks
sublimecantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:02   #48
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimecantona View Post
hi guys

this is an interesting thread but it has got me worried.

I have a C70 T5(as it has the badge) but having looked at John C's picutre that he posted of his engine, it has got a slight diff to mine. On his air box it says Turbo and across the spark plug cover it says 20V whereas mine doesnt. Now i think that is from an 850 and not a C70 so does that mean mine is not a T5? I think my car is car quite fast esp wen i floor it but having never driven a T5 before, i cant compare it with it anything.

If i ring volvo and give my reg no, will they be able to clarify this??
Thanks
Just out of curiosity what does it state on the V5?

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:05   #49
Blue 8
Premier Member

What is this?

As its listed as a GLT turbo,

Last edited by Blue 8; Mar 4th, 2009 at 10:25. Reason: Waffled to much .
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:16   #50
sublimecantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Just out of curiosity what does it state on the V5?
I cant remember of the top of my head, i will need to check and post a reply.
sublimecantona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sublimecantona For This Useful Post: