Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

95 RON fuel for a ‘chipped’ S70 T5?

Views : 4049

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 14:46   #41
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
I have, thought you had missed the point
What point is that?
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 14:48   #42
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
What point is that?
The one I stated that its safe to run 95 on his chipped car, you were saying it wasnt in earlier posts
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 14:57   #43
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
The one I stated that its safe to run 95 on his chipped car, you were saying it wasnt in earlier posts
If you had the simplest of understanding on how these ECU's protected the engine then you would not be saying it is OK to run on 95Ron fuel.

Due to me getting bored of you now I will give you a little help.

Running lower grade fuel will tend to make the engine run lean.When the ECU picks up on this problem it will pull the ignition timing thus retarding the engine.It will also dump more fuel into the engine in an attempt to prevent engine damage.

Now can you see the little problem with running on the lower grade fuel?
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 19:59   #44
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
If you had the simplest of understanding on how these ECU's protected the engine then you would not be saying it is OK to run on 95Ron fuel.

Due to me getting bored of you now I will give you a little help.

Running lower grade fuel will tend to make the engine run lean.When the ECU picks up on this problem it will pull the ignition timing thus retarding the engine.It will also dump more fuel into the engine in an attempt to prevent engine damage.

Now can you see the little problem with running on the lower grade fuel?
Thats what i said 3 posts back mate therefore increasing mpg on lower grade fuel, you just keep repeating what ive already stated, basic engine management they teach you first year in college
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 20:31   #45
volvo145
Premier Member

Have we all agreed to disagree now?.
Any comments welcome!!.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 21:18   #46
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Thats what i said 3 posts back mate therefore increasing mpg on lower grade fuel, you just keep repeating what ive already stated, basic engine management they teach you first year in college

Think you need to revisit first year teach mate
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 15:20   #47
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
I will explain just for you, lower grade fuel (lower octane) will cause the engine to run leaner, when the oxygen sensor detects this it alters the timing and increases the amount of fuel as you said yourself hence using more fuel in the process, with higher octane stuff this doesnt happen as much hence less fuel used, anyway never mind first year college this is like being at junior school bikering its getting BORING!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 15:25   #48
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Soory, typing error i did mean decreasing mpg, but i think you knew that
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 16:02   #49
bembo449

Quote:
No offence taken chap

I am now on my 5th turbo charged car and have also had a hand full of n/a cars chipped all of which I run on V-power.Tell me are Volvo scare mongering when they state only to use 97Ron fuel on the T5/R models?

It just goes to show your general knowledge regarding tuning cars when you are trying to compare n/a engines to turbo charged ones.

What are the benefits of running the higher Ron fuel compared to the lower grade on a turbo charged car?
now at no point did i say what sort of cars i've had ! but for the record i've had chipped cars in every form bar LPG !! i've read further on in this thread and see you made a mistake with your claim about the must of 97 ron fuel ! i think we have an understanding now ! for optimum BHP/ ECONOMY high grade fuel is the way to go ! but otherwise 95 ron in a chipped car is just fine ! the choice is down to the owner !!
bembo449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 18:55   #50
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
no offence chap but how many chipped cars have you had !??? i'm into double figures now and currently run a chipped 02 745 BMW ! as i've already said in previous posts , experience counts here ! i think if any of my cars would dislike 95 ron the 7 series would be it ! but no ! its fine and runs fantastic and gets more to the gallon ! you shouldn't go round scare mongering like this ! a perfectly fit engine will have no trouble being chipped and run on 95 ron ! YES there are benefits from running on high octane fuel but i can't justify the cost for what i use my cars for ! and i'm in no doubt that some have had bad experiences with chipped cars ! though i've never heard of anyone and certainly the circle of friends i have with modded cars have never had any trouble !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
now at no point did i say what sort of cars i've had ! but for the record i've had chipped cars in every form bar LPG !! i've read further on in this thread and see you made a mistake with your claim about the must of 97 ron fuel ! i think we have an understanding now ! for optimum BHP/ ECONOMY high grade fuel is the way to go ! but otherwise 95 ron in a chipped car is just fine ! the choice is down to the owner !!
Are you sure about that?