Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help - MOT failure on CO - oxygen sensor? Which one?

Views : 3523

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2016, 10:12   #41
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Is this still going on?

Facts:
I needed a new oxygen sensor.
I have a 1997 Volvo 940 B230FT which didn't have a EGR fitted, nor has had one removed in the past. I have checked this - the previous owner who had the new exhaust fitted did not have the EGR removed, only difference with new exhaust is where the oxygen sensor is mounted. PLUS all 940's after 1995/6 do not have a EGR fitted anyway, and mine is one of the latest ones so certainly falls into the NON EGR camp.
I asked which oxygen sensor I needed on here, the NTK E58 one was recommended
I did my own checks, including going through the technical advice/lists on the NTK website to make sure the one I was recommended was correct.
I ordered it from JustLambda, copying in the info I had found so it would be easy for them to check I was ordering the right one.
I got GREAT service from JustLambda
When I found out it wouldn't fit I emailed JustLambda and told them. I hadn't opened the bag containing the sensor as it had printed on it "no returns if opened" on it. I said it had not been removed from the bag. I did not say what I wanted from JustLambda, I was expecting them to refund me plus my shipping costs once I sent it back to them. I wasn't expecting to keep it once I knew it wasn't quite the right part so I kept it in the sealed bag with all the packaging so it could be resold at a later date. I worked in retail for 16 years so I did my best to keep the packet in 100% condition as I know you can't sell stuff if the packaging is mangled.
JustLambda went beyond what they needed to do and unexpectedly gave me a full refund and said I could keep the part. i did not mention on here that they had done this as I didn't want people reading it and trying it on with JustLambda at a later date. The refund was between JustLambda and me until JL mentioned it on here. Again, I was VERY happy with their service.

I won't post in this thread again, as far as I am concerned no-one made an error as such, it is NTK not listing their products compatibility 100% correctly which has caused the issue. Thankfully I bought the sensor from a great company who went further than they needed to to make their customer happy, and as a result I will recommend them to others and use them again if I ever need to.

Thanks all for your input.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 09:36   #42
derek vivian

Default oxygen sensors

Hi all, Does anyone know the correct part number/s or even description/s for the two oxygen sensors that my V90 1997 requires? My local garage has fitted a new complete exhaust system I got from 'buycarparts' but was sent the wrong sensors from a different supplier they use. My car does not have turbo and is OBD11. I just need the part numbers to see if I can locate the sensors for the garage to save time (I am retired so it gives me something to do!). Derek Vivian

Last edited by derek vivian; Sep 6th, 2017 at 09:51.
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 11:24   #43
derek vivian

Default oxygen sensors for V90

OK stand down! I have my car back now with both sensors replaced and they cost me over £100 each. EEk!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2024, 22:23   #44
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
NTK (NGK) OZA446-E58 OZA446E58 (0483)
Do you know the current status of this part? I was looking on the NGK website and it says it was discontinued, replaced with OZA828-EE12. I wonder if the connector is good for our cars.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 01:55   #45
Forrest
VOC Member

There were two different connectors depending on the age of the car. I cannot at this remove remember what way around they were. You would do best to order from someone who guarantees fitment if you provide the VIN or registration number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosch LSH24-LSH6.JPG (42.6 KB, 10 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 07:52   #46
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
There were two different connectors depending on the age of the car. I cannot at this remove remember what way around they were. You would do best to order from someone who guarantees fitment if you provide the VIN or registration number.
I saw a comment of yours saying this. I was aware. But the NTK parts with the number you mention is the currect fitting right? Or it sould also have the incorrect one?
I'm looking at the bosch part. BY the pics the connector looks to be the brown/currect one.

I had missed a few pages of this thread. Reading them just increased my confusion. The seller was saying the brown fitting is for cars with EGR. That cannot possibly be true. Mine has the brown fitting and certainly idoesn't have an EGR valve.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jun 12th, 2024 at 08:31.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 10:03   #47
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Bosch sensor

You need a sensor with a brown, three pin connector. I used Bosch as I understood that other aftermarket sensors do not always work well with certain LPG systems. Like yours, mine is an LPT, albeit mine is a 98 one.

I used:
Bosch p/n.: 0 258 003 376
EAN: 3165142609836
Suitable for Turbo engines B200FT, B230FK en B230FT from 94 to 98, with and without EGR.

Don't expect miracles though, I replaced mine after 600K km on LPG and I did not notice much difference.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 10:29   #48
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
You need a sensor with a brown, three pin connector. I used Bosch as I understood that other aftermarket sensors do not always work well with certain LPG systems. Like yours, mine is an LPT, albeit mine is a 98 one.

I used:
Bosch p/n.: 0 258 003 376
EAN: 3165142609836
Suitable for Turbo engines B200FT, B230FK en B230FT from 94 to 98, with and without EGR.

Don't expect miracles though, I replaced mine after 600K km on LPG and I did not notice much difference.
I'm not changing it for LPG reasons. It failed MOT. See my other recent post for details if you are interested. But basically the sensor read high (1.35) at the mot. Hoping just replacing the part will solve the issue.
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 11:05   #49
Forrest
VOC Member

One of mine was for a 1994 B200FT and the other was for a 1997 B230FK. Neither has EGR. I ordered the NTK parts thinking they were identical, but on each occasion I got one with the right connector. I can’t remember whether I entered the car details or whether I just struck lucky.

At the time when I changed them it made a big difference to the 1994 car which had dropped to about 17mpg. The new sensor restored reasonable economy. The change wasn’t really noticeable on the later car.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 12:16   #50
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
One of mine was for a 1994 B200FT and the other was for a 1997 B230FK. Neither has EGR. I ordered the NTK parts thinking they were identical, but on each occasion I got one with the right connector. I can’t remember whether I entered the car details or whether I just struck lucky.

At the time when I changed them it made a big difference to the 1994 car which had dropped to about 17mpg. The new sensor restored reasonable economy. The change wasn’t really noticeable on the later car.
I ordered one from the local local shop. The bosch unit. 89€