Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who has ordered a new XC90?

Views : 37942

Replies : 320

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:27   #41
Dutchbird

Default Delay in XC90 orders

Ordered our XC90 D5 inscription in October with an accepted build date week of 1520 and with a delivery date on My Volvo of the first week of June. However on Tuesday morning we checked with My Volvo ( weekly check ) and to our horror and disappointment we found out that there is now a delay of about 6 weeks in delivery. Contacted our dealer who only found out that morning that there were production problems but he had no further information on what the precise problems were.
We are not the only ones as all his other orders have also been delayed. We then contacted Volvo UK but they were there usual unhelpful self and revered us back to the dealer , who knows as much as we do. Volvo is trying to compete with the real premium brands but unfortunately fails in their customer service,all they had to do when they realised mid May that there was a production problem was to contact the customers and to inform them of the upcoming delay, that would have been enough for us. We made the gross error of booking our holiday based on the delivery date , including the cattery for our cat but they are now unfortunately fully booked from July until September.

Our dealer could not have done enough for us yesterday and we had afternoon test driving the demo D5 momentum ,all we can say ," it does what it says on the tin! " . Very impressed by the drive and the quality of the car. Just a pity that we have to wait an other 6 weeks.
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 20:18   #42
mickv

Cool

Similar story here. We ordered our First Edition back in September I think. Quoted delivery April/may. Our dealer has kept us informed and was expecting delivery to him on 23 May. Two days ago he was told of a production delay which meant our car was still at plant waiting resolution of some part supply problem. However he very kindly switched us into another car he has stood at the docks in Sweden. I'm guessing it was the dealer's own car but don't know for sure. That's customer service for you: Guess we were lucky as FEs don't exactly grow on trees. Only 50 odd coming to the uk.

Having said that we still don't have an ETA....
mickv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 18:39   #43
yeoman
Master Member

My thoughts are, First the car is HUGE! I currently drive an BMW x5 and was pretty amazed at how large the volvo looked.

That said, it does not feel you are driving such a large car,The steering is small and the car generally felt quite nimble.It is a massive improvement on the handling of the old model( chalk and cheese like).

Like all diesels' there is still a flat spot but it is not like the old model that was quite frankly scary.The turbo/supercharger do give the car surprising oomph.The sound of the engine is rather pitiful and gruff at low revs, but honestly I could live with that.
The one I drove did not have the air suspension( for me that will be a must)

The boot is ginormous,Holidays with 3 kids and the wife will be so easy.

I intend test driving the T6 petrol and the twin engine before I make my mind up, but overall the D5 is an amazing engine is more impressive than I thought it would be. The dealer tells me that yesterday they were getting 50mpg on the combined cycle, If that is true the diesel may come back into my reckoning have dismissed it initially as I want the T8 twin engine for the combination of power and efficiency.

Anyone in the market for a kidney?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo XC90 1aaa.jpg (174.2 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by yeoman; May 31st, 2015 at 18:45.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 19:48   #44
A lex
Premier Member

The new diesels do seem really good. 50mpg+ is astonishing compared to the 26mpg I currently achieve in my D5.

People in the UK should be cautious about changes in tax rules with the diesel engines. 'Diesel' is quite quickly going to become a dirty word in the UK, much like it is in other parts of the EU.

VED where I am for my D5 is €2,500+ per year.

For the new model (as comparison).

D5 VED: €2,328 PA
T6 VED: €1,304 PA
T8 VED: € free!

Dont be surprised if the UK goes the same way
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 14:30   #45
TWPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
My thoughts are, First the car is HUGE! I currently drive an BMW x5 and was pretty amazed at how large the volvo looked.

That said, it does not feel you are driving such a large car,The steering is small and the car generally felt quite nimble.It is a massive improvement on the handling of the old model( chalk and cheese like).

Like all diesels' there is still a flat spot but it is not like the old model that was quite frankly scary.The turbo/supercharger do give the car surprising oomph.The sound of the engine is rather pitiful and gruff at low revs, but honestly I could live with that.
The one I drove did not have the air suspension( for me that will be a must)

The boot is ginormous,Holidays with 3 kids and the wife will be so easy.

I intend test driving the T6 petrol and the twin engine before I make my mind up, but overall the D5 is an amazing engine is more impressive than I thought it would be. The dealer tells me that yesterday they were getting 50mpg on the combined cycle, If that is true the diesel may come back into my reckoning have dismissed it initially as I want the T8 twin engine for the combination of power and efficiency.

Anyone in the market for a kidney?
Thanks for that, yeoman, very interesting. Though I fear what I can afford to pay for one of your kidneys wouldn't contribute much to your 'new XC90 fund'... (I'm just going to play the lottery more, or if the new XC really is as big as it appears will try to convince the wife that actually we could trade down into a house with one less bedroom... Guests can stay on the car overnight.)

For what it's worth, Auto Express got 33mpg in the D5 during their road test. I presume car mags drive them quite 'keenly' and also that the test MPG includes performance testing so 4-5 mpg better than we manage on the daily grind is indeed a big improvement.
I doubt anyone will be seeing 50 mpg though: it's still a 2.1 tonne SUV...
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 15:23   #46
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWPC View Post
Thanks for that, yeoman, very interesting. Though I fear what I can afford to pay for one of your kidneys wouldn't contribute much to your 'new XC90 fund'... (I'm just going to play the lottery more, or if the new XC really is as big as it appears will try to convince the wife that actually we could trade down into a house with one less bedroom... Guests can stay on the car overnight.)

For what it's worth, Auto Express got 33mpg in the D5 during their road test. I presume car mags drive them quite 'keenly' and also that the test MPG includes performance testing so 4-5 mpg better than we manage on the daily grind is indeed a big improvement.
I doubt anyone will be seeing 50 mpg though: it's still a 2.1 tonne SUV...
120 kg lighter than the old XC90 and you would be surprised what mpg it can do at 55 mph ...with the worlds newest high tech diesel ..
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 17:03   #47
Dutchbird

Default Letter from Volvo UK

Received a letter from Volvo UK today informing us that there is a production problem with some of the XC90 models. They hope to resolve this as soon as possible but do not give a timescale when the cars will be made. The initial level of demand has significantly surpassed their expectations particularly for the higher spec and certain individual options. This has caused issues with their suppliers, requiring Volvo to reschedule the production process. As a consequence there are going to be production delays for certain models. Our car should have been delivered this week but it looks like a further delay of about 7 weeks but even then there is no guarantee of a delivery then.
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 17:18   #48
kiteski

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb5 View Post
I have kept a track on the V60 and after 15 months I have saved £1800 on fuel. This accounts for the cost of electric and is based upon what I was getting from a standard D5 as an average. So the cost will take around 3-4 years to recoup.
How does the hybrid work in real life? I have an XC90 and an all electric Leaf and am loving electric driving so am very tempted by the D8 XC90.

What no dealer appears to be able to answer is what happens on a long journey, do the batteries recharge such that if/when you hit a jam on the motorway you crawl along on electric power?

We also drive into and across Europe for holiday and want to know if you'd have to keep plugging in overnight to get the benefits of the electric motor each day or not.

Cheers,

Greg
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 17:44   #49
London Volvo Pete

Default XC90's for sale!

Hi All,

I understand a lot of you will want to spec vehicles to your own preferences - but just so you know I have a number of vehicles ordered and coming through over the coming days and months - and of course I am happy to help you spec your new one!

Having been driving the vehicle for a few days now I can honestly say you will not be disappointed!!!

Heres the inscription I am currently driving!

Feel free to contact me for any spec questions, availability and of course if you'd like to order your new car!!
London Volvo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 17:46   #50
London Volvo Pete

Here she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.jpg (198.9 KB, 78 views)
London Volvo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to London Volvo Pete For This Useful Post: