Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 8438

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2023, 16:21   #41
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
I can't remember if ours requires a single press of the button or if I have to keep my finger down for 2-3 seconds (I'm sure it's the latter)
I got the car back today (fuel issue not resolved but I needed the car so it's back in at some point next week!), but I tried the fuel flap release, and on ours it is indeed a single momentary press and then two seconds later it's unlocked.

Interestingly, if the flap is open and you lock the car, even after the second main deadbolt lock (about 10 seconds), if you then close the fuel flap, it doesn't get locked. If the flap is open, you lock the car, then close the flap before the second deadbolt, it does get locked.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 17:35   #42
piorunz

Today my car was in service to check this issue. Unfortunately, they found nothing. They filled the tank at the petrol station, no spillage. My car is not so badly affected as yours it seems, because it does it only 25% of the time, from my experience since I bought it in February. I will continue to monitor this, maybe I will manage to record it or something.
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 20:07   #43
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Today my car was in service to check this issue. Unfortunately, they found nothing. They filled the tank at the petrol station, no spillage. My car is not so badly affected as yours it seems, because it does it only 25% of the time, from my experience since I bought it in February. I will continue to monitor this, maybe I will manage to record it or something.
Ah man, sods law in all it's glory!

Well I'll keep you posted as to what they find on mine given it's clearly not the filler neck valve. As to whether it's the filler neck on yours is another question.

If I were you, given you say it does it 25% or the time (or even if it does it 20% of the time), get them to fill it, syphon it out by say 5L, then fill it again and repeat until it does it if you're saying any pump can do it. Quick and easy way to prove it, and they can definitely syphon the fuel as that's what they did with mine, so don't accept the excuse of 'sorry sir, we can't do that'

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 10:56   #44
piorunz

Quote:
Ah man, sods law in all it's glory!

Well I'll keep you posted as to what they find on mine given it's clearly not the filler neck valve. As to whether it's the filler neck on yours is another question.

If I were you, given you say it does it 25% or the time (or even if it does it 20% of the time), get them to fill it, syphon it out by say 5L, then fill it again and repeat until it does it if you're saying any pump can do it. Quick and easy way to prove it, and they can definitely syphon the fuel as that's what they did with mine, so don't accept the excuse of 'sorry sir, we can't do that'

Collected the car today. I know now why they could not reproduce the problem at the fuel station. Spoke with technician who refuelled the car. Turns out, he put £20 in the tank and declared that the car is fine. Did not attempt to fill the tank to the moment where pump should stop. Sigh.

Last edited by piorunz; Oct 10th, 2023 at 11:12.
piorunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 17:35   #45
Yelper85

Quote:
Collected the car today. I know now why they could not reproduce the problem at the fuel station. Spoke with technician who refuelled the car. Turns out, he put £20 in the tank and declared that the car is fine. Did not attempt to fill the tank to the moment where pump should stop. Sigh.
I shouldn't laugh, but . . . .

Next you will say the technician was their 'master' tech as well

I know we're all only human, but come on. Not so funny when the issue is they forget to tighten the wheel nuts or fit the brake pads properly!

Mine is back in on 17th October as Volvo Sweden want full diagnostics and car details to compare with other European vehicles with similar issues.

Last edited by Yelper85; Oct 10th, 2023 at 17:38.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yelper85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 18:18   #46
Dolphin10

Quote:
Unbelievable....this level of expertise is what we pay top labour rates for....thank goodness its a warranty issue.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 19:11   #47
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin10 View Post
Unbelievable....this level of expertise is what we pay top labour rates for....thank goodness its a warranty issue.
I've always wished at least one car brand would have excellent technical and repair capabilities throughout the country, and I thought I'd found that in Volvo, however I've come to the realisation that all main dealers are the same and it's pure luck as to who you get working on the car.

I guess when we think main dealer, you take that as it's actually Volvo fixing the car, but it's just a franchise with the badge slapped on the building and the people working there may well not (I've met many who don't) like Volvo or even care, it's just a car repair shop to them. Shame, as if you like/love something you always go the extra mile and enjoy doing it.

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 22:44   #48
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
I've always wished at least one car brand would have excellent technical and repair capabilities throughout the country, and I thought I'd found that in Volvo, however I've come to the realisation that all main dealers are the same and it's pure luck as to who you get working on the car.

I guess when we think main dealer, you take that as it's actually Volvo fixing the car, but it's just a franchise with the badge slapped on the building and the people working there may well not (I've met many who don't) like Volvo or even care, it's just a car repair shop to them. Shame, as if you like/love something you always go the extra mile and enjoy doing it.
I guess I am lucky. My main dealer is excellent hence I have stayed with Volvos for the last 23 years. One of their master techs was so good he went to Volvo themselves, many of the others have been there years and treat our cars as their own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 08:05   #49
techwatcher
Master Member

Judging by the stories on this forum, I think main dealers vary; there seem to be the good and not-so-good.

My understanding is that being 'just a franchise with the badge slapped on the building' actually costs the franchise owner a considerable amount and Volvo undertake regular checks to ensure service is up to standard. Obviously this doesn't prevent day-to-day issues which may be where some of the problems lie.

I am fortunate; my main dealer is excellent and the main reason I have had Volvos for the past 26 years. The Service Manager is the same as the day I first walked through their door in 1997.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 15:14   #50
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I guess I am lucky. My main dealer is excellent hence I have stayed with Volvos for the last 23 years. One of their master techs was so good he went to Volvo themselves, many of the others have been there years and treat our cars as their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Judging by the stories on this forum, I think main dealers vary; there seem to be the good and not-so-good.

My understanding is that being 'just a franchise with the badge slapped on the building' actually costs the franchise owner a considerable amount and Volvo undertake regular checks to ensure service is up to standard. Obviously this doesn't prevent day-to-day issues which may be where some of the problems lie.

I am fortunate; my main dealer is excellent and the main reason I have had Volvos for the past 26 years. The Service Manager is the same as the day I first walked through their door in 1997.
Don't get me wrong, some are good, very good, and others are shocking, the problem is I've had more shocking than good. Having the same people working there all the time says a lot, same as for most companies, and those places should be treasured just as you guys have and you are very lucky. Some of the other car manufacturers I've had in the past it was a different team every week and you just felt like a number rather than a valued customer.

Our current dealer is very good (I won't name names as that's probably unfair), but again it's the little things that could be improved, however this has made me wonder about the Volvo inspections you mentioned techwatcher. Do you know if the inspections are just for the garage side or does it encompass the whole dealership, so service, sales and parts etc? I wonder if they obtain customer feedback as part of the review?