Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Car UK Policy on ETM Replacement

Views : 42747

Replies : 212

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 11:47   #41
savanaman

Default Wardair???

Just wondering how you might be getting on Wardair?

Have you had any success at all?

Thanks
savanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 22:04   #42
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Default Seem ther eis a recall in the US!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=recall
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:05   #43
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Just an update on my dilemma, well i went to Hampshire over the weekend and on the way back on one occasion i was lightly touching the throttle and nothing was happening then i backed off and reapplied my foot and the car went on its merry way, since then the car is starting to hunt very badly now, revs dropping 800 at a time, I am just thankful that i knew the symptoms when it was playing up thanks to this forum, and the problem is being addressed tomorrow at 10am,

GARY.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:40   #44
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Does anyone know if the etm is failing would the car show signs of black rich smoke coming out of the exhausts? since i came back over the weekend i have now noticed this soot in the exhausts luckily for me it is going into Volvo today,

Gary.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:36   #45
lovebuthatem

Default Volvo Recent ETM experience £0.00 cost

V70 2.4T 2000 119K probs since 112K, unknown history before

Misdiagnosed by dealers and independents.
Finally read forum, thanks guys.

Called Volvo cust service (VCUK), had interesting conversation but I did mention USA and Sweden situation. Told that up to dealer to diagnose replacement needed. So booked into dealer, dealer asked for File Ref No. (if VCUK going to pay) told me to call back to VCUK. VCUK quite snotty with me ,said dealer should do this not customer, told them I wanted this fixed. Said they call dealer direct.

Car went in specifically for ETM issue. Dealer calls back after 1.5hrs, "Sorry sir your engine no. does not come into the Service notice issued by Volvo, but we can do job (clean and download) for £150+VAT". Told them not to bother.

Steaming, called VCUK to straighten out the curly bit on their fone. Handled v professionally, calmed me down, they said- The dealer should know they can call us if your engine number is not in range.??? Uh they hadn't?? VCUK said they would call dealer back and get the repair sorted.

I called dealer back 2Hrs later to check what happening and told that VCUK had authorised.

So job done, no cost to me. Hows it running? better but its still not a smooth at t/o as should be, but 110% better, think it may fail soon. Should I join the AA???

Tips for others,
1.don't beleive your local dealer,(either their communication with VCUK is not hot, or conspiracy to keep costs down, or dealers get better labour rates from punters than VCUK).
2. Call customer services directly 08457564636
3. Be assertive but not abusive, use USA and Sweden references. (they get replacement ETM)
4. Ask for ETM replacement, (bet you dont get) but will get clean and U/G free.
5. Take name of bod you speak to in VCUK cust services
6. Tell dealer any issues-call your VCUK contact
7. May be idea to have this job done separately (ie not when you have service etc, allows dealer no margin to hide costs etc- I'm sure they wouldnt!! Then again, pigs fly don't they????)

Wardair thanks for this topic, see that there's press in the States and Aus now, I have some access to press in UK, slim chance of getting local/national story, if you are interested PM me and we could discuss storyline etc.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 13:22   #46
Wardair

Savanaman,

Thank you for asking after me. I have been busy with my day job hence the lack of postings.

I am very grateful for all the info being posted, please keep them coming as I may need this data very soon as it looks like my efforts to raise the public awareness of the issue is about to bear fruit.

I hope to have some news for everyone later today.

Watch this space....................

Wardair
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 14:22   #47
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Red face Etm

I have a 1999MY v70 T5 117,000 on clock and Idle is erratic. Having read others 'less than satifactory results' from main stealers I am more of the opinion to get my usual mechanic to look at it for a few quid and if it looks dodgy BBA reman is 10min up the road from me so will get them to rework for £250 with 2yr warranty. I don't have much faith in Main stealers as if you go to get code's read they suggest £100's of pounds of unnessary work. e.g. ABS light on "£200+" quote from my local dealer. local mechanic £35 abs has worked fine for past 18mths (Cleaned connections) obviously replaceing sensors etc would do same job.

nuff said

ben
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 14:19   #48
Wardair

Cookie,

Fully agree with your observations on 'Main Stealers'.

I emailed BBA reman but got no answer. Whilst they have a picture of the ETM on their website I could not find any other place where there are details of repair. have you confirmed that they are still refurbishing the ETM? I also believe you will need to wait for your own device to be repaired due to avoid the need for remapping of the module with ECU.

Wardair
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 14:22   #49
Track_Rod

I asked them via Email a few months ago when researching a used Volvo purchase.

They advised that they were not able to offer a refurbishment service at all on the Volvo ETM.

I bought a D5 !!
Track_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 14:50   #50
mark2jag

AS ABOVE!!!!!

Regards, Mark