Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manifold Leak Suggestions Please

Views : 2091

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 21:07   #41
Steve 940
Premier Member

Blimey, I see what you mean about prices.

Oh you're a bad influence, tap and die set is on my 'need to get one of those' lists, always just borrowed my brother in laws, but it's a 30 min round trip, so I might as well get my own......

Can't believe £15 for a 40 piece set would much good, have you any prior experience of these??

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 21:07   #42
griston64
Premier Member

940 with Girling front brakes are M10 X 1.0 X 30mm

Just double checked garage

Last edited by griston64; Dec 9th, 2021 at 21:15.
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 22:19   #43
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Blimey, I see what you mean about prices.

Oh you're a bad influence, tap and die set is on my 'need to get one of those' lists, always just borrowed my brother in laws, but it's a 30 min round trip, so I might as well get my own......

Can't believe £15 for a 40 piece set would much good, have you any prior experience of these??

Cheers
Steve
Errr, yeah.....but no...............but yeah...........but kinda

To explain - i have what appears to be an identical set but mine came in a metal Draper-branded box about 20 years ago as a "free issue" from work. The idea was and also how i've always viewed it, it's a get-you-started-kit. As such it will do the basics adequately well and as you progress, you will find there are sizes you use more. They will obviously wear out and/or break before the others but you can pick them up cheaply as single taps or a set of three (1st and 2nd cuts and plug tap) from https://ukdrills.co.uk/

Their site is currently under maintenance so nothing is showing but they sell drills of all descriptions (no real surprise given their name! ) and taps and dies. They also sell other bits and pieces, can't think of an example just now but you'll be able to browse their site when they've finished the maintenance.

In the fullness of time, you might want to add a ratchet tap wrench or renew the common sizes you use, i recently renewed my M6 taps and the new ones are much sharper and easier to use but i've had many years of use out of the basic ones supplied in the kit. Many sizes i haven't touched or only used once or twice in that time.

This is in line with my general philosphy on tools, if it's something i'm likely to use a lot, is the only tool for the job or i'd be seriously snookered without it, i'll happily pay for a higher quality item. If it's something i might only use once in a month of Sundays i'll get cheap but still passable. If it's somewhere in between i get middle of the range stuff but i tend to go for Silverline for spanners, sockets etc as their hand tools come with a lifetime guarantee if you register them online. That said i've not registered mine but i haven't managed to break any either, even being brutal with some of them.

Having another look, i've also found this which is identical to my Draper set except it has a blue Silverline branded metal case :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115132730921

You can see the thread pitch gauges on the right hand side between the tap wrench and die stock, just inboard of the right hand column of dies. It's a fiver more than the other one if spending a bit more makes you feel more comfortable! I'd say that was for the metal case really.

You could go and buy a top quality tap and die set cost £xxx and then find you only use perhaps 3 or 4 common sizes. That means you've spent much more on a set to have some built in redundancy. Doing it the way i suggest where you get a basic set you save £xxx- £20 (for the Silverline one above) so have that amount to spend on the sizes you use when you come to buy better quality ones. Alternatively, a few taps that you use commonly and a cheap digital vernier and still a few quid left.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 23:22   #44
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for such detailed information on a topic I know very little about.

I had the misfortune of stumbling across the Myford website, just the name took me back to the school woodwork room..... don't think any of what we got up to with encouragement from Sir would be even be contemplated possible nowadays.

Anyway, I had been thinking of getting these on an as and when basis slowly building up on sizes a small I go.

With your suggestions and thinking about it a bit, probably all I will do most, is just running taps and dies on existing threads to clean them up, so the idea of a cheap but comprehensive set becomes more appealing.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 00:05   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for such detailed information on a topic I know very little about.

I had the misfortune of stumbling across the Myford website, just the name took me back to the school woodwork room..... don't think any of what we got up to with encouragement from Sir would be even be contemplated possible nowadays.

Anyway, I had been thinking of getting these on an as and when basis slowly building up on sizes a small I go.

With your suggestions and thinking about it a bit, probably all I will do most, is just running taps and dies on existing threads to clean them up, so the idea of a cheap but comprehensive set becomes more appealing.

Cheers
Steve
You're welcome Steve, glad to help!

I'm semi-familiar with the Myford website, i try to avoid it to be honest as my credit card is inclined to take a hammering if i go on there!

I have a Myford 1 in my shed, only made for about 6 months in 1943 which had seen a couple of modifications before i bought it and will likely see a couple more unless i go mad and buy one of the new "mini lathes" for a few hundred quid. The Myford 1 isn't really listed as such because it was only when the next model came out that it became the Myford 2. Mine has a few age/wear related faults, some can be overcome with new, modified parts but i tend to take the view they are a safety measure that prevents me overloading the rest of it so if i start getting bad results i know i'm over working it. Hence my thoughts of one of those new-fangled mini-lathes!

Talking of doing "unconventional" things on lathes, when i was doing my apprenticeship the first year was broad-based training at an engineering training school. The basic set-up was many companies paid for this training (to a nationally recognised standard) which enabled this school to run, had some companies pulled out it would have become more expensive for the others or unviable completely.
Anyhow, i digress. A prospective new company rep was being shown round by the Safety Officer in the machine shop and while he was boasting how proud he was of the safety record there, some numpty started a lathe with the chuck key still in. The chuck key took off in a perfect arc across the machine shop, narrowly missing the heads of the Safety Officer and the company rep (Training Officer?) that was being shown round.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 03:51   #46
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Test today only indicated leaks both sides of turbo, so I'm hoping to not need to actually pull manifold, as I use it daily, I didn't want to have it off road waiting for parts, so just ordered manifold/head studs and nuts, plus new gaskets.
Let's hope so as the bracket that the manifold sits on underneath is apparently a pain in the ass to remove from the block. Mine previously had the exhaust gaskets changed in 2008 and they slotted the hole where the downward facing stud on the manifold goes, so it was easier when I changed them again in 2016.

Quote:
Hopefully manifold won't be cracked, and they can stay on shelf in garage for future if needed.
I did the same at beginning of 2020. Turns out the frontmost gasket had slipped down and the top nut just needed tightening up to stop the putt putt noise. (the bottom stud at the front snapped off in 2016 but the weight of the mani+turbo has kept it gas tight all that time).

But I bought new gaskets and these copper nuts in preparation. Not sure which version was best so got both. Got the ones at the bottom without collar for the turbo to downpipe as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_o...25+mm&_sacat=0

Also bought Permatex nickel anti seize, as apparently it's the best stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERMATEX-...53.m2749.l2649

And according to one of my old posts, I bought some of these overkill titanium studs. 53mm 16-7-30 ones are the closest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-...53.m2749.l2649

Tbh, if the studs on yours are fine then I would leave well alone and torque to spec. Although that one on mine just gave way like a twig when I did that!

Quote:
I did post on general motoring on home page, as the turbo has quite a few banjo fittings each needing 2 crush washers, obviously buying separately is not cheapest option, was thinking of getting a box of assorted sizes of copper crush washers, although a bit wary as they're bound to be cheapo Chinese product, and sizing/quality may not be consistent.

Just thought the amount of supposed single use crush washers on the car, would be way more cost effective.
I think a copper washer is a copper washer, as long as it's a half decent seller!

The ones I ordered in 2016 from the dealer didn't fit my 13c, so had to reuse the old ones. I didn't anneal them or anything. Been fine, no leaks touch wood.

Oh yeah, the 2mm thick washers are only needed if you put the 3 heat shields back on (and you need 6 not 8). They were a pain to remove so didn't refit. The concave 4mm washers are pretty expensive.

Old Dec 10th, 2021, 07:57   #47
Steve 940
Premier Member

Cheers Dave,

Sounds like you've got a great setup with the old Myford lathe, and I suppose it is to be expected to have a bit of wear and tear after almost 80 years, bit like us.

Ha ha, a wonderful sight I'm sure of the chuck key performing a perfect arc!!

Never really got involved in much engineering, mainly woodwork, but if I had the choice for new / old machinery, I would go for a good 'old' machine. Trouble is being at home, single phase limits somewhat what's available unless you go down converting or getting 3 phase, = expensive.. As with cars, more power is always welcome😀

I've found with woodworking machinery, the 'cheaper' diy type of machines are just that, they do a job, but not necessarily an accurate one.

With just a workshop around single garage size, i have one of those awful combination sawbench/planet/thicknesses and spindle moulders, along with a relatively modern Record lathe. Used for a full house refurbishment some 20 years ago, but absolutely nothing was 'square' even out of the box. They works, but always seem to end up spending so much time doing test cuts to compensate for things being not square. Suppose you just get used to compensating for the shortcomings.

Oh well, the perfect workshop will remain a pipe dream 😀

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:03   #48
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Baggy798

Many many thanks for that information, most helpful.

Yes, fingers crossed, I will be able to just get away with not having to touch the manifold to head gaskets.

Seems you have some sort of spreadsheet record of parts bought previously, compliments on that and puts my old paper filing system to shame😀

Assorted copper washers ordered and awaited.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:33   #49
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I used these for the thick washers when I did my 940 MHUK used them on his 940 too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-5-16-E...-127635-2958-0
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 10:29   #50
Steve 940
Premier Member

Cheers for that link Luke,

Looks like I'll be building up a small hardware shop as nothing worse than getting halfway through something and not having the correct bits.

Cheers
Steve