Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 935297

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2021, 20:40   #431
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'm going to reserve comment no both of those for now Alan as one is Swedish and the other is American (Stockholm and Miami) - i'm happy to be proved wrong if i find an English resource that confirms what you're saying and will obviously apologise.

Can't do much about the cricket or rugby, especially as i have no idea what's happened!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 09:22   #432
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Sorry, but...

Othen's correct about both points.

There is a verb form of "effect" but in this context "affect" is correct. Affect can mean "like to", as in "he affected [like to wear] a bow-tie". It could be argued that the use of "effect" in this advertisement is to advise that the warranty does not apply to the car, but that would be very sloppy English and misleading.

(Simon Heffer's Strictly English covers this on p150 stating that affect's usual meaning is "to have an effect on someone or something" while "to effect something is to make it happen, bring it about or accomplish it." Mr. Heffer is a Daily Telegraph columnist and was responsible for that newspaper's writing style guide. That, in my opinion, is close enough to an English resource for me.)

Likewise the presence of an apostrophe after Volvo in the phrase "Volvo's warranty" shows that the warranty(a noun) is a possession of Volvo. It could be re-cast as "Volvo offers a new car warranty" which eliminates the possessive apostrophe but adds verbiage.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 13:08   #433
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

The accepted authority in my day was, and probably still is, Fowler Modern English Usage. If only I could find my copy. Anyway.

Volvos' would indeed be wrong. That is a common mistake. The s' is used for ownership by or attribute &c. of more than one entity.

Effect is best remembered as give effect to.
Make it work init ....

P.P.S. Affect is a many splendered word. Deep joy. I like words. I don't know many words but I like words.

But I don't care a lot. When I edited a publication, such matters were the preserve of my sub editor proof reader. I do prefer that the writer takes the bovver to make themself understood. I have mentioned to some contributors to that publicationthat that they seemed to want to avoid being understood.

And then there are people who need rules and have been taught "rules" ...

Rules are for the guidance of wise people and the obedience of fools.

P.S. The Royal Czar is RIGHT !!!

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Mar 21st, 2021 at 13:47.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 05:56   #434
Othen
Premier Member

Default An old friend...

I think we have seen this rusty old friend previously in this thread:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw~LlgV5Hr

... I'm guessing it didn't sell last time, but I still don't think it is worth anything near 2 grand :-)
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 09:36   #435
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think we have seen this rusty old friend previously in this thread:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...gAAOSw~LlgV5Hr

... I'm guessing it didn't sell last time, but I still don't think it is worth anything near 2 grand :-)
Looks vaguely familiar Alan, i don't recall the babboon style back end though. Someone has really got to want a 245 and be prepared to do a fair bit of restoration and potentially a full respray to make that as nice as it should be. Knock the 1 out of the start price and it's a lot more realistic.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 11:29   #436
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Looks vaguely familiar Alan, i don't recall the babboon style back end though. Someone has really got to want a 245 and be prepared to do a fair bit of restoration and potentially a full respray to make that as nice as it should be. Knock the 1 out of the start price and it's a lot more realistic.
Exactly Dave. I recall seeing this one a month or two ago with the same story. I've forgotten what the asking price was then. To his credit, the seller has started on some work and also has been candid about the motor car's faults. I suspect he has realised a full restoration is either beyond him or will cost more than it ever be worth.

This car (like so many we see) is at that difficult age - just a 30 year old car, too old to be any use as a commuter but too young to be historic. I'd be very surprised if this one doesn't turn out to need new sills as well as wheel arches... and then of course a full body respray. Realistically, if the owner can't do that himself it is a grand or so worth of steel and welding, as well as maybe £3,000 worth of body and paint. At the end of all that it would still be a 30 year old car and not worth anywhere near the 6 grand it would have cost.

I think this owner has probably fallen foul of not having his/her aims clear at the start - which is a pity. At £500-£800 the car might well have been worth someone (someone like us from this forum) keeping the car going as a runner.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:30. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 11:49   #437
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That was more or less the figures i had in mind for restorative and body work Alan, makes it as you say, a £6k car in terms of cost but realistically only about a £4k car at a push on the open market. Fine if you want to keep it for 10+ years and amortise that at £12/wk (£600 a year) to own what would be a car that looked near new.

However, if they've been careless with the body, what have they been like with the oily stuff?
Strangely the sill(s) weren't picked up even as advisories in August 2020 :

G147XVC VOLVO 240

Check another vehicle
Colour Silver
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 9 August 1989
MOT valid until 2 September 2021

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate
Date tested 3 September 2020
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 146,562 miles
MOT test number 6823 1602 7186
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 2 September 2021
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Rear Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened all (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated both (1.1.12 (b) (ii))
Nearside Front Steering linkage ball joint has slight play tie rod (2.1.3 (b) (i))

What are advisories?
Date tested 26 August 2020
Fail
View test certificate
Mileage 146,562 miles
MOT test number 1771 8159 6397
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):

Front Brakes imbalanced across an axle (1.2.1 (b) (i))
Windscreen washer not working (3.5 (a))
Front Windscreen wiper not working both (3.4 (a))
Service brake efficiency below requirements (1.2.2 (a) (i))
Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened all (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Steering linkage ball joint has slight play tie rod (2.1.3 (b) (i))

That means that sill has rotted badly in 6 months and looking back further over the MoT history, it seems many advisories have been ignored until they've become failures or mysteriously disappeared.

Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 12:28   #438
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That was more or less the figures i had in mind for restorative and body work Alan, makes it as you say, a £6k car in terms of cost but realistically only about a £4k car at a push on the open market. Fine if you want to keep it for 10+ years and amortise that at £12/wk (£600 a year) to own what would be a car that looked near new.

However, if they've been careless with the body, what have they been like with the oily stuff?
Strangely the sill(s) weren't picked up even as advisories in August 2020 :

G147XVC VOLVO 240

Check another vehicle
Colour Silver
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 9 August 1989
MOT valid until 2 September 2021

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate
Date tested 3 September 2020
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 146,562 miles
MOT test number 6823 1602 7186
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 2 September 2021

What are advisories?
Date tested 26 August 2020
Fail
View test certificate
Mileage 146,562 miles
MOT test number 1771 8159 6397
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):

Front Brakes imbalanced across an axle (1.2.1 (b) (i))
Windscreen washer not working (3.5 (a))
Front Windscreen wiper not working both (3.4 (a))
Service brake efficiency below requirements (1.2.2 (a) (i))
Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

That means that sill has rotted badly in 6 months and looking back further over the MoT history, it seems many advisories have been ignored until they've become failures or mysteriously disappeared.
That car looks to be in rather a poorer state that I'd thought Dave - well done for thinking of checking the MoT history. It would certainly appear that much has been neglected over the years, so on top of the sills, wheel arches, body and paint there might well be some oily bits that need improvement as well. The restoration budget might easily reach £5-6,000 plus the price of the car, and at the end of the day it is just an old car that will not become an attractive historic vehicle for another decade (assuming the rules remain as they are now).

The car still has an MoT, so perhaps someone could keep it on the road without doing all the cosmetic bits - but I'm thinking that once the rusty wing and wheel arch is pulled off it will end up needing a fair amount of the restorative. It could so easily end up being a project like Juular's:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...8&postcount=34

... but then Juular is a very skilled, patient and resolute chap.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 12:33. Reason: Addition.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 13:14   #439
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The car still has an MoT, so perhaps someone could keep it on the road without doing all the cosmetic bits - but I'm thinking that once the rusty wing and wheel arch is pulled off it will end up needing a fair amount of the restorative. It could so easily end up being a project like Juular's:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...8&postcount=34

... but then Juular is a very skilled, patient and resolute chap.
The other option would be for someone to do it as a rolling restoration over the course of a efw years, routine servicing and a few repairs each year until the body and oily bits were right and then consider a respray. It might even be at the point where it would qualify for Historic tax so a better financial point to do it, rather than do it all in one go.

From what i've seen of Juulars thread, his was in a seriously bad state to start with so he took the decision to do a full resto now rather than wait. I don't know if he has spraying abilities but if they match his welding then i'm sure that (excluding his time) for about £2k he'll have restored the car to near perfect, possibly better than factory and if you include his time etc, that would be nearer the £10-12k mark.

On the Rover 800 forum, we have a member called Marc in the Netherlands who, besides a Mk1 827 Vitesse auto has an SD1 3500 - can't think off the top of my head if it's an SE or VDP but either way, an early Series 2 car and he's always tidying/repairing/restoring some little point on the car. I think now he's gone past the point of restoration and has improved on how it left the factory.

I'm fairly sure someone could do the same with that Volvo but also sure it would take longer.

Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 17:12   #440
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The other option would be for someone to do it as a rolling restoration over the course of a efw years, routine servicing and a few repairs each year until the body and oily bits were right and then consider a respray. It might even be at the point where it would qualify for Historic tax so a better financial point to do it, rather than do it all in one go.

From what i've seen of Juulars thread, his was in a seriously bad state to start with so he took the decision to do a full resto now rather than wait. I don't know if he has spraying abilities but if they match his welding then i'm sure that (excluding his time) for about £2k he'll have restored the car to near perfect, possibly better than factory and if you include his time etc, that would be nearer the £10-12k mark.

On the Rover 800 forum, we have a member called Marc in the Netherlands who, besides a Mk1 827 Vitesse auto has an SD1 3500 - can't think off the top of my head if it's an SE or VDP but either way, an early Series 2 car and he's always tidying/repairing/restoring some little point on the car. I think now he's gone past the point of restoration and has improved on how it left the factory.

I'm fairly sure someone could do the same with that Volvo but also sure it would take longer.
Yes, the rolling restoration s another possibility Dave.

I think with this car the devil will be in the detail: there is clearly rust at the front of the nearside sill and wing, which has been bodged with a lump of filler previously. In my experience, once rust starts appearing on the outside the inside will have mostly dissolved. If a rolling restorer pulls out that lump of filler I suspect there will be no choice but to fit new sills (and probably inner wheel arches). At that point it probably stops being a rolling restoration and requires a bit of quite serious TLC (or ends its days at the banger derby on a Thursday eve).

:-(