Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2047486

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 07:31   #4011
Othen
Premier Member

Default Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisty View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'd be honoured to take over the thread for the RB. I think it's an incredible document and nice to keep it going. I'm open to starting a new thread though if people prefer.

I've just figured out today how to subscribe to threads so it lets me know if someone posts so apologies for my slow replies. I've been waiting for the diaphragm to arrive. I treated myself to a magnetic tray too. Hopefully I will get a chance to clean the carb today and put the new diaphragm on.

Best wishes to all but especially Alan.
Hi Kelton,

This index for the RB/Barge thread comes free in the box:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...02#post2901702

Early(ish) in the life of the RB thread someone complained that they didn't like the format and that I should have started a separate thread for each new issue that came up. The consensus at the time was that folk preferred the information all in one thread (like a journal) so the answer was the index. I have updated it from time to time - whenever I thought there was enough new stuff to report.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 21st, 2023 at 08:49. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 20:16   #4012
wisty

Thanks Alan. I turned up the idle ain your pic and it sounds so much better! I set it at 1100 in p. When I moved it to d it dropped to about 700 revs (stationary). I picked up some Wynn's today and I am shortly off to top up the tank then put it in. I'm going to keep a screwdriver in the boot so I can tweak the timing a bit more if required. Will look to fine tune in a fortnight as you suggested. Since cleaning the carb it starts a lot better. Cheers Kelton

Last edited by wisty; Jun 21st, 2023 at 20:18.
wisty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wisty For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 20:54   #4013
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan. I turned up the idle ain your pic and it sounds so much better! I set it at 1100 in p. When I moved it to d it dropped to about 700 revs (stationary). I picked up some Wynn's today and I am shortly off to top up the tank then put it in. I'm going to keep a screwdriver in the boot so I can tweak the timing a bit more if required. Will look to fine tune in a fortnight as you suggested. Since cleaning the carb it starts a lot better. Cheers Kelton
Hi Kelton,
You will probably find the 700RPM in D becomes 900RPM once the gearbox has warmed up and the ATF thinned a bit. That would be a perfectly reasonable solution (but I'd still run some additive through and then adjust the CO level as per the green book).
Alan
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 22:03   #4014
wisty

Adjusted timing a bit more and it was fine at the lights, going in reverse etc. Set it 900 in drive (warm) and was driving fine. Just parked the RB up very easily.

Kelton
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wisty For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 15:05   #4015
Othen
Premier Member

Default Electric fan

Hi Kelton,

Make sure the motor has sufficient coolant (50:50 ethylene glycol and water). This is a link to the electric fan conversion:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=285

... and this is the control circuit:

... it should be pretty easy to diagnose any issues. Make sure the two electrical connectors are pushed into the thermo switch, it looks like this at the top of the radiator on the driver's side:

You could test it easily by jumping across the two connectors with a little piece of wire - the fan should start.

Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 18:09   #4016
wisty

Thanks for the pics etc. I topped up with water. I tried holding the two wires on the thermoswitch together with the engine running and the fan didn't come on. I had tried a bit of wire first.

Kelton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230623_175712390_HDR.jpg (217.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by wisty; Jun 23rd, 2023 at 18:17. Reason: Extra info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wisty For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 18:49   #4017
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the pics etc. I topped up with water. I tried holding the two wires on the thermoswitch together with the engine running and the fan didn't come on. I had tried a bit of wire first.

Kelton
Okay Kelton,

In that case you will need that multi-meter you ordered today to find the fault. It should be pretty straightforward. Afternote: check the inline fuse leading to the relay first. When you get the meter check:
a. Impedance of the fan (from memory I think there are two bullet connectors that emerge from the fan shroud. It should be fairly low Ohms. I think is was about 120w, so 10A and therefore just over an Ohm. Afternote - I found a photo, the yellow and red leads here:

b. Potential to earth at the thermoswitch (one side should be 12v - the other side should have a path to earth).

c. Potential to earth at the fan motor (use the supply side of the connections in (a) - one side should be 12v.

d. If all that checks out trace the voltage back to the relay. It is one of these two:

... the other one will be for the foglamps. I'm pretty sure I put some inline fuses from the busbar for both - so check those before you do any of the above.

Just be methodical.

How much water did the system take to refill?

Last edited by Othen; Jun 23rd, 2023 at 19:11. Reason: Grammar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 19:39   #4018
wisty

Thanks again. Perhaps a pint of water.

I don't know what inline fuses are or where they would be?
The Following User Says Thank You to wisty For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 21:03   #4019
Othen
Premier Member

Okay, inline fuses: you can just see one in the bottom left of this photo. The plastic box has a blade type fuse in it.

… just swap it for a new one, or check it out with your new meter.

Addendum: this is a quite likely source of the problem, the fan draws about 10A and the initial surge might be a bit higher.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 23rd, 2023 at 21:14.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 08:39   #4020
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Okay, inline fuses: you can just see one in the bottom left of this photo. The plastic box has a blade type fuse in it.

… just swap it for a new one, or check it out with your new meter.

Addendum: this is a quite likely source of the problem, the fan draws about 10A and the initial surge might be a bit higher.
A better photo is att.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F1B65296-1A13-44C4-8141-81050856E107.jpeg (132.0 KB, 5 views)