Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 113238

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2006, 02:12   #391
Zota

Further to my earlier posts to Oli & THMS;
I have had a reply from Toyota where they said it was on a ceramic base, but would not admit that it was a carbon pot. Being on ceramic it almost certain it is carbon.
Honda has not been able to give an answer and
Mazda said they are Hall Effect tranducers on both throttle and pedal.
So THMS your suggestion of Hall effect types is spot on.

Volvo Australia is still in denial. If anyone here is in Australia please reply and we might take it up with the NRMA or RACV.

In Australia they do not have new replacements only "Reconditioned" ones.
I don't believe that they can redeposit carbon on the tracks so I believe that they must be raiding the wrecker yards.
The implication of this is that there is an ever smaller number of ETMs going the rounds and sooner or later they will run out.

Not much choice but to get rid of it and buy a Mazda !

Barry
Zota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 16:16   #392
Darcy

Update following my last entry of the 16th October. Since cleaning the clutch position sensor I have had no ETS warning lamps. ETS = Electronic Throttle System I think. Because depressing the clutch will disengage the cruise control, isn't it sensible that the clutch sensor is a component of the ETS?
Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 22:55   #393
Gregor

Im putting my v70 in to Strathmore volvo in perth tomorrow to get my free software uprade, unfortunately not before i had to spend 600 quid replacing the etm in the summer! I had an engine management warning light come on the other week and as i happened to be in perth i nipped in to strathmore and they ran a diagnostic test and only thing that came up was a faulty temp sensor for the aircon, mechanic reckoned i musta kangarood at a junction and the light came on, aparantly quite common, but the best thing was they didn't charge me for the diagnostic, so top marks for strathmore.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:36   #394
nest

hello all

I've just read this thread as I have recently purchased an S80 and have just saw the BBC Watchdog program.

So far as I understand things the ETM failure is caused by failure of positional information from the throttle caused by the potentiometer wiper contact friction wearing through the resistive material of the sender unit giving rise to false or garbled throttle position information.

Volvo say they are carrying out remedial action by upgrading software ???????????????

Can someone explain how a software upgrade can solve a hardware failure ?

Last edited by nest; Dec 5th, 2006 at 22:42.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:55   #395
Muscas
Master Member

It can't !

It's a fraud.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are stuck with a poorly designed component that has the potential to cause a fatal accident in the event of it's failure.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nest View Post
hello all

I've just read this thread as I have recently purchased an S80 and have just saw the BBC Watchdog program.

So far as I understand things the ETM failure is caused by failure of positional information from the throttle caused by the potentiometer wiper contact friction wearing through the resistive material of the sender unit giving rise to false or garbled throttle position information.

Volvo say they are carrying out remedial action by upgrading software ???????????????

1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:55   #396
Andy_eclipse

Default Etm

Nest it can't. If I understand it correctly the software upgrade reduces the tendancy for the wiper inside the throttle to jitter about and therefore will increase the life of the part, it may also desensitise the assembly thereby making it less likely to go into a fault condition, but does not fix the problem if it already exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nest View Post
hello all

Andy_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 23:03   #397
nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscas View Post
It can't !

It's a fraud.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are stuck with a poorly designed component that has the potential to cause a fatal accident in the event of it's failure.

Patrick
you are not disappointing me Patrick

I'm already of the opinion this fault is not possible to be corrected by a software upgrade and if Volvo say it can I'd love to hear how.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 23:06   #398
Andy_eclipse

Default Etm

Nest

If you have to have the ETM replaced and you have to pay take the dealer to court who sold you the car. I have just done the same and recovered the whole cost.
There is a risk involved but the part is not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 23:17   #399
nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_eclipse View Post
Nest

If you have to have the ETM replaced and you have to pay take the dealer to court who sold you the car. I have just done the same and recovered the whole cost.
There is a risk involved but the part is not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act.

thanks for that Andy but it was a private sale so that option looks slim

the only way for me is to tackle Volvo themselves

ps my car is displaying signs of this defect (ie idle stalls)
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 23:21   #400
Andy_eclipse

Default Etm

Nest

Sorry, that is a problem!

I am going to try to publicize my situation as much as possible in the hope that Volvo may just give in and start to replace the ETM free.