Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash Cam

Views : 15165

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 12:48   #31
StuAgain

Default Rant! Why cigarette lighter sockets?

Very pleased with my new 2016 V70, (especially the discount through VOC), but why, oh why, do all manufacturers insist on putting a 12v supply socket (labelling it cigarette lighter) in the centre console). Very few people use it as a cigar lighter but as an auxiliary 12V power supply point, with the result of trailing cables for Sat Nav, GPS Locator, Phone, Journey Camera etc.

Is it not beyound the wit of car interior designers to install discreet 12V or USB sockets close to the windscreen or elsewhere on the dashboard so that we don't have to have trailing cables from the centre console to the ancillary equipment?

Until then should it not be an industry standard to produce small flat topped side entry plugs to fit the existing mis-named cigarette lighter socket, rather than the 50 to 70 mm high plug for this socket that never ever fits securely in the socket? Maybe that was OK originally for a cigarette lighter stuck unto a hole in the dash, but not for the modern locations.

The USB socket in my nice new Volvo is in the cubby hole in the centre console under a lid and facing backwards so that to fit anything I have to stop and get out of the car to access the USB socket and Auxiliary socket. Plus it is not possible for the cables to exit the cubby hole with the lid shut.

Come on designers, be brave. End of rant! Thanks for your patience if you've read this far.

By the way can anyone tell me if I can use one of the spare fuse ways in the fuse box under the Glove Box for a 12V supply, for my camera and phone, if so which one?
StuAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StuAgain For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 12:54   #32
960kg
Premier Member

Did you not realise that people worldwide still smoke cigarettes?

Your motor is not only sold in the UK.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 07:24   #33
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

BMW will fit one below the glovebox in specific models as an option at small cost of about £30.

However mine does not have it lucky for me the connections are all together a bit further down the tunnel with the USB connection.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 10:40   #34
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
It'll do me until someone releases a decent quality budget dashcam option but at the moment the tech isn't good value enough for my liking.
If it's any help to anyone, after much research I recently bought a BlackSys CF-100 as a first foray into dashcams, and installed it in the C70. I'd guess it's being discontinued, it's been going for £60 where it was £160 or more last year. For what you get for that money I don't think there's any better out there, you really can't lose. Footage by day is easily as good, and without the vibration through the mount of that phone setup, and better by night. Plus you get a rear camera, which is what I wanted to evaluate the usefulness of when you don't have a rear window always there to hang it in.

In the longer term, while the CF-100 is perfectly sufficient for everyday purposes, I've decided that higher image quality would also make it worthwhile keeping footage of scenic journeys. Now that I know a rear cam is still worth having, I plan to wait for Street Guardian to release a 2-channel system hopefully later this year, upgrade to that as the definitive solution, and put the CF-100 in SWMBO's Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuAgain View Post
Until then should it not be an industry standard to produce small flat topped side entry plugs to fit the existing mis-named cigarette lighter socket, rather than the 50 to 70 mm high plug for this socket that never ever fits securely in the socket?
One of the things I like about the CF-100 is that the power adapter is small and the cable exits flat. It barely sticks out an inch from the 12v socket, and doesn't get in the way when using the gear-lever or handbrake, even though the socket is right next to both. I can leave the camera permanently plugged in, and the cable is routed nicely down the side of the centre console.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 21:36   #35
StuAgain

Found a side entry 12V plug in my box of bits. Rigged the wire with a joint to a box with 3 x 12v sockets and 2 x USB's fixed with sticky patches behind the centre console. Only problem is the from the wire hanging loose as I haven't got the courage to drill a holes from by the original 12V socket to get the wire hidden under the centre console and I'm also reluctant to start dismantling the console as the MY2016 is still only 4 week old! This side entry plug allows the sliding hatch cover of the console box to close with the plug inserted.

Now to rig the dash cam and GSP locator. I assume that the rubber door seal and A-pillar trim will unclip and clip back on to hide the cables up to the top LH of the windscreen after going under (over/behind?) the glovebox as I've done on my previous 2000 V70 (still going on French plates) and 2009 C30.

The Garmin Nuvi Sat-Nav has been installed, bottom right of wind screen as this gives better audible warnings of exceeding the speed limit, visual Speed Limit data, ETA details, elevations and mapping than the Sensus, from what I have seen so far plus the "Notice of Dangerous Road Segments" for French driving, in lieu of Camera Location Warnings (illegal in France). Cable secreted under the steering wheel cowling.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 20:46   #36
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Red face dash cam

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5vr66IMAcPA

What's the Russian for "think bike ?"

Regards, Richard.
93240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 16:23   #37
StuAgain

"Подумайте велосипед" - According to the Google Translator.

What a load of plonkers! These are the ones that walked away from the mistakes. No wonder so many Russian cars have dash cams. I've had a dash cam in my cars for the last few years, an unnecessary expense or so I thought until a pedestrian stepped out in front of me (no damage, merely his pride was dented) and who then threatened to rearrange my face until I pointed out the dash cam in my car. He then apologised and walked away. Ever since I've made sure that it is charged and plugged in!

It is a pity that insurers don't allow more discount, if any, for a dash cam.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 00:11   #38
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Swiftcover for example, offer up to 12.5% discount which means a dashcam could pay for itself pretty quickly.

http://www.swiftcover.com/carinsurance/dashcams/
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 05:59   #39
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuAgain View Post
Very pleased with my new 2016 V70, (especially the discount through VOC), but why, oh why, do all manufacturers insist on putting a 12v supply socket (labelling it cigarette lighter) in the centre console). Very few people use it as a cigar lighter but as an auxiliary 12V power supply point, with the result of trailing cables for Sat Nav, GPS Locator, Phone, Journey Camera etc.

Is it not beyound the wit of car interior designers to install discreet 12V or USB sockets close to the windscreen or elsewhere on the dashboard so that we don't have to have trailing cables from the centre console to the ancillary equipment?
The 12v socket is the only standard which has not changed.

USB A and micro USB B are already out of date, contactless too as manufacturers move to USB C. How long before USB D ? Then apple will probably put their own twist on one in the future.

LG brought out the Nexus 5 phone at the end of 2013 with contactless charging. The LG Nexus 5X at the end of 2015 has dropped contactless for USB C which can see the phone fully charged from <10% in 90 minutes.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 31st, 2016 at 06:01.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 12:50   #40
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Valid points, but I don't think anyone would advocate having a fixed wire with a mini / micro USB / lightning connector on the end which would have very limited application. A decent USB power socket rated at about 2A would be a useful addition to allow the driver to plug in device(s) of his choosing. Even a wireless charging cradle needs to get its power from somewhere .
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote