Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 R Design Sport

Views : 5492

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2009, 17:53   #31
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Have to admit to the second thing I did with the XC when i got it was put in HID units so I could see at night. The C30 isnt such an issue as its got xenons fitted.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 00:30   #32
SteveC30R

Default Support

Thanks for all the comments on your vehicles - what is a common theme is that Volvo customer services are pathetic....the company are not interested in its customers...hence I would not touch another Volvo with a bargepole.

What is clear is that as long as people keep putting faults right themselves, then Volvo will deny knowing about them or just keep ignoring customers....there are in my view better cars on the market for the money Volvo charge, and customer service is better in my view.

You can get a Volvo serviced for around £100 at the local garage using genuine Volvo parts, and get the warrenty book stamped up etc....so vote with your feet...DON'T USE A VOLVO DEALER UNLESS ITS WARRENTY WORK.

We the customers will have the last laugh...cos Volvo will end up going down the chute...they are already on the decline around here...my view is:- Good Riddance.

Will keep this forum updated on the scenario of my motor....PS if anyone wants to buy a pristine C30R Design Sport 6 months old.....4 k on the clock give me an unreasonable offer and you might just get it...

Last edited by SteveC30R; May 23rd, 2009 at 00:33.
SteveC30R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveC30R For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:38   #33
4wheeldriver
Master Member

My Mums Y plate S40 1.8 sport serviced at local dealers, £515 with new front brake pads. They also tried to tell her that her year old REAR discs and pads were "nearly done" through the age of the vehicle and did She want them to change them too?

When she bought the car the dealer had fitted new discs and pads on the rear for just the above reason the year before.

My S60 D5 MY04 at small local garage using genuine Volvo parts and CAstrol oil. £186 and the oil was 90 quid for 2 gallons. Had to buy the oil at local factors as dealer would only sell 45 gallon drum to Gordon! Bit much for one car.
Old May 25th, 2009, 13:43   #34
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
the oil was 90 quid for 2 gallons.
Crikey! I buy Castrol GTX 10w40....5L....£14 at Morrisons.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 17:10   #35
4wheeldriver
Master Member

And I just chucked a gallon of GTX in the bin too....... Could have saved you £14 quid lol
Old May 27th, 2009, 18:48   #36
SteveC30R

Default Latest

Just had a telephone call from Volvo UK customer services...they reckon Volvo are not aware of any problems with alloy wheels sticking to hubs!!!!

They also informed me that "they"had spoken to the dealership and that the dealership were not aware of any problems with wheels sticking to hubs, even though it was the dealer that alerted me to the problem, raised a jobcard etc.

Then the fool advised me that I could take the vehicle into the dealership and have the problem looked at....I informed the fool that "the problem" had been looked at by the said dealer, and the wheels had been brayed off, greased and put back on again.....the fool informed me that there must have been a crossed wire somewhere....along with an engine download, a stereo download, a sticking wheel hub, a damaged door upon delivery, poor customer service, and no communication whatsoever...

Do not buy a Volvo people....vote with your wad......spend elsewhere.....don't give it to those that appear not to want it....
Old May 27th, 2009, 21:51   #37
Turbostream

Volvo HQ never heard of alloys sticking to hubs?

Every car I have had with alloys has always had sticky wheels!

They must be in a time warp!
Turbostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 22:43   #38
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Interesting points you raise here.

I can only empathise with your problems. I went to try a C30 \ V50 at my local [ish] dealer. My daily car is a Citroen C4 HDi, and PSA have a similar approach to customer service as Volvo if your / my experiences are anything to go by.

Anyway, you say the dealers don't know anything...........well, I went down in my Amazon and nobody knew what it was - the two technicians working away on what looked like seized rear alloys (oh the irony!) asked me if it was a Packard!

Seriously, with Ford going down the toilet and the car industry on its knees you'd think main stealer outlets would try harder to keep their customers. It seems to me that most franchised places serve as an FOH point of sale, after that you can go and swivel. Any warranty work is questioned and endlessly debated and then grudgingly completed with an 'advisory sheet' thrown in because they're all on the make.

Sorry your new car experience has been a bad one...I bought new for the first time with my Citroen and shan't be doing again. PSA have lost my business and while I liked the V50 I tried, I don't fancy my chances if I were to have a problem.............

..........TBH the NS handbrake and lack of a dead pedal, combined with the garish 'R Design' pack every C30 \ V50 seems to come with these days did put me off somewhat...............

.......I think my money might go on a 2 year Octavia estate instead.

The best thing I can recommend would be to find a decent indie garage that uses OEM parts and is VAT registered. Under the Brussels ruling your warranty is maintained if such a place does service work for you, and often at a much cheaper price than at a main agent. You're definitely right on that one.

Now if we can get them to end the price hegemony dealerships have on OEM parts, that would be the icing on the cake.........
Old May 27th, 2009, 22:56   #39
SteveC30R

Default & again....

I agree about using an Indie garage....when I questioned the fantastic price I was being quoted for serviceing I was told..."well if you use a non Volvo garage" they won't be able to re set the service light...then I was told, and we won't put your car on our forecourt....well suck my thumb

I have no intentionof buying another Volvo, let alone asking you to stick mine on your forecourt....

What I will be sticking on my car is a sign saying...Don't buy one of these

I have also just wrote to Watchdog.....about the sticking wheels that Volvo claim to know nothing about...also the engine download, stereo download, etc etc on a car that is a few months old...lets hope Watchdog get involved and give Volvo some much needed press coverage...they will kno about the wheels sticking then.
Old May 28th, 2009, 00:33   #40
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I don't really understand this alloy wheel business. I can't see what would make one car more susceptible to it than others, or what a manufacturer is supposed to do to avoid it. Every car with alloys I've ever owned has had them stick on when they've not been removed in a while (and not been greased prior to fitting...which is something which I've never seen a garage do).

As for the claims about only dealers being able to reset service lights...have a chat to an Autologic distributor. One I spoke to said they have Volvo dealers coming to them to get software problems fixed because Volvo in Sweden can't figure it out themselves.

I really, really don't see the advantage in the fairly recent shift to CANBus, etc. It just seems like they're using a load of expensive modules to do a job which pieces of wire used to do perfectly adequately. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but it just seems like a VERY expensive problem waiting to happen, to me. I think if I had a modern car and it started giving me electrical grief, I'd go at it with a pair of wire cutters, then install some proper electrics - http://www.painlessperformance.com/

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote