Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

700/900 series Diesel engines?

Views : 4876

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2011, 22:48   #31
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
The OM606 was a much more modern diesel though, it has multiple computers controlling it not like the D24, and it can be remapped.

Peter Milnes, 700/900 Register Keeper, has two 700/900 TDs, one is tuned up to 185 bhp, ours can be tuned up via the pump, mine was tuned up when I bought it

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 23:25   #32
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
Peter Milnes, 700/900 Register Keeper, has two 700/900 TDs, one is tuned up to 185 bhp, ours can be tuned up via the pump, mine was tuned up when I bought it
I much prefer the old school way of motoring, doing things hands on not via a bloody computer lol
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 23:28   #33
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
The 606 is the last of the non CDI engines, but as you say the pump is controlled by an ECU. The point is though that here is a car that has a lot more power and a lot more torque than the 940 and delivers significantly better fuel economy. I had an E320 CDI and it refused to drop below 39 to the gallon however hard I drove it.

No doubt there are issues with the Mercedes too, chief of which is rust. But they are ridiculously cheap nowadays. A friend of mine bought a very tidy E300TD estate for under a grand a few weeks back. Personally I'd be wary of an early CDI, but the 300TD makes a lot more sense.

There is a load of hog wash being talked. Look at the 7.5 tonne truck story; that diesel has less torque than the petrol turbo car. Not that it especially bothers me, people are perfectly entitled to like diesel engined 940s. However, the simple truth is this; if someone wants a diesel car that is economical and fairly painless to run there are more rational options than plumping for the Volvo VW concoction.
Yeah i knew the 606 the last of the T-IDI engines before they switched to common rail.

Its a marmite thing you either love it or hate i wreckon. Stock they are a bit shocking but they can take alot of boost. Having said that though there are people buying bigger mechanical pumps and holset hx40's for the e300td and putting down 500bhp lmao
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:44   #34
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Smile Aye aye

Quote:
The 606 is the last of the non CDI engines, but as you say the pump is controlled by an ECU. The point is though that here is a car that has a lot more power and a lot more torque than the 940 and delivers significantly better fuel economy. I had an E320 CDI and it refused to drop below 39 to the gallon however hard I drove it.

No doubt there are issues with the Mercedes too, chief of which is rust. But they are ridiculously cheap nowadays. A friend of mine bought a very tidy E300TD estate for under a grand a few weeks back. Personally I'd be wary of an early CDI, but the 300TD makes a lot more sense.

There is a load of hog wash being talked. Look at the 7.5 tonne truck story; that diesel has less torque than the petrol turbo car. Not that it especially bothers me, people are perfectly entitled to like diesel engined 940s. However, the simple truth is this; if someone wants a diesel car that is economical and fairly painless to run there are more rational options than plumping for the Volvo VW concoction.
If you would like to come to Edinburgh and be towed by me in my diesel you will find out how good it is, i think you are an armchair critic / expert.
The TDtic with the zf box will hold at 3000rpm through 10mph to 65mph giving almost seamless accelaration.
It is the best tow vehicle i have ever come across, i have driven hundreds of different models of car, so i do know.
Yes you can buy more economical diesels, but from this cars era, and this is the relevant point here i think, it had all the competition beat.
I just bought a 320 diesel merc at the sales, 1999 v reg, supposidly 190hp. Well thankfully it is to order for someone else, it would not replace what i have with something better.
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:56   #35
940_Turbo

Eh? "The TDtic with the zf box will hold at 3000rpm through 10mph to 65mph giving almost seamless accelaration".

That's amazing, an engine/gearbox combination that can accelerate a car from 10 to 65 mph whilst staying at a constant 3000rpm.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 23:53   #36
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Default Amazing

Quote:
Eh? "The TDtic with the zf box will hold at 3000rpm through 10mph to 65mph giving almost seamless accelaration".

That's amazing, an engine/gearbox combination that can accelerate a car from 10 to 65 mph whilst staying at a constant 3000rpm.
Yes hard to believe for an automatic !
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 11:10   #37
riverhead

Default 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentoffers View Post
Hi,I have run Volvo 760 Diesels since 1986,at the moment I have 5 my 1986
has 409,000 miles still a very good engine,they need using and servicing,and
they,will last.
regards Frank
Hi All.
Interesting I have a lovely 960 petrol that I dont or cant sell. I was going to convert ti to Diesel using the 6 cylinder vw engine.
Or would I be better off gettign the 850tdi estate?
Am finding it hard to get an engine and gearbox in Ireland. Whar else were they used in these engines?

Thanks

Riverhead Cork
riverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 18:59   #38
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default jpliddy 940tdi auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentoffers View Post
Hi,I have run Volvo 760 Diesels since 1986,at the moment I have 5 my 1986
has 409,000 miles still a very good engine,they need using and servicing,and
they,will last.
regards Frank
where are you based in bolton you will have had a lot of expereance withe the vw 6 cyldinder engine
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 22:33   #39
Paddy Wagon

I can vouch for, and, against, the D24TDic engine. Before getting my 940 (bought it just before xmas) I spent the previous few months looking at other 940's with this engine, IIRC I drove 14 of them with milage's ranging from 92k miles to 278k miles. Obviously I cant quote fuel consumption figure's (a bit hard when your just taking it for a test drive, most of the owners were claiming mid to high 30's) but from a performance point of view they ranged from barely mediocre to utterly useless. The one that I ended up buying is like a rocket in comparison, it really does fly, kick-down is like going into Warp Drive, it'll sit quite happily at 95/100 mph all day and tops out at 110 mph, the other ones I drove could barely make 100 mph flat out. Driving sensibly I'm getting 45/46 mpg. Every now and then you will find an engine that for no apparent reason is just so much better than the rest and I think I've been very lucky and got one. The biggest, and most pleasent surprise is it's a far smoother running engine than my 740 petrol. There are a lot of donkey D24TD's out there, but there are some really good ones as well, it's just a matter of finding one.
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddy Wagon For This Useful Post: