Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter DPF

Views : 35013

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 22:12   #31
KiwiRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITServe View Post
59 plate VW Golf 1.4 TSI

BMW 320d M Sport Edition
Turbo Charged
450Nm Torque
222 BHP
0-60 7.2s
154mph Top Speed
54 MPG

!!
Where did you get those numbers from they are completely incorrect.

BMW 320d M Sport (my wifes was a 2008 touring)
Turbo Diesel
350NM torque
177 BHP
0-60 7.9s
143mph top speed
58 mpg which I never got anywhere near, mid to high 40's and that was mostly motorway.
KiwiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 07:37   #32
ukzmisr

Default Dpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqig View Post
i have just been on a delphi diesel common rail cource to do with my work and it covered dpf, all you need to do when the light starts comming on is to take it for a "spirited" drive to clear the dpf out, but if it become completeley blocked you have to take it to a garage with suitible equipment to enable dpf regeneration which basicly enables a really late injection of diesel that put the exhaust temprature through the roof and in turn burns all the crap out your exhaust
Hi sqig
I have just joined the forum was wanted to send you a PM, however I cannot since I have not had enough posts. Could you PM, with your email please. I would like to ask you something. If you don't mind.
Thank you
ukzmisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 22:06   #33
wtr

Since some weeks I'm driving an '06 S60 2.4D 163HP 6-gear (detuned D5 185) with all the right options.. Very happy with the car so far but I think I've problems with the DPF too..

Got the car remapped almost right after I got it to 231HP and 546Nm.. At this moment I don't drive much long distances, mostly rather short ones.. (Yes I know why do I need a diesel then right) but I always make sure the engine is nicely warmed up.

Anyways I got this error sometimes (it's in french so don't know how to translate it literally) "gestion moteur - reparation demandé", translated that'd mean more or less "engine prob please fix".

When this error comes up I feel a temporary loss in acceleration (or for example when going full throttle through gears, when I go in 4th or 5th it'll stop accelerating perfectly), so I obviously stop accelerating then, when I give it some time to "recover" the car accelerates normal but that error remains..

After some time (i.e. relaxed drives at rather low speeds) the error goes away again but it can come back afterwards.

I must say I never rly have the chance to make the DPF regenerate (cruisecontrol @ 90km/h (60mph ) etc..

I'm thinking of a DPF removal, has anyone done it here before and what are the experiences ?

Last edited by wtr; Apr 18th, 2010 at 22:09.
wtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 20:02   #34
John_C
Allons-y!

You need to get the fault codes read and find out what is actually wrong with the car, it could just be a sensor glitch but don't assume it is the DPF.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 18:40   #35
wtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
You need to get the fault codes read and find out what is actually wrong with the car, it could just be a sensor glitch but don't assume it is the DPF.

Cheers,
John
Okay, this saturday I'm going to the place where I mapped the car and I will have a read-out of the car.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 19:20   #36
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

KiwiRob

The figures are for my car, and yes they are absolutely correct. It's a superb car. The power and torque are due to a superchips remap. Oh, and with just normal driving and 18k on the clock I am now getting over 64mpg. Driving in a spirited way drops this to mid 50s.

Itserve
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 16:05   #37
wtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr View Post
Okay, this saturday I'm going to the place where I mapped the car and I will have a read-out of the car.

Update from my side..

Been to the Volvo dealers, it had nothing to do with the DPF.

It seems that the "old" software for my engine often gives an error regarding "too high turbo pressure" in combination with a remap, 'n then the car goes in limp-mode for that time.

I've had my car now flashed with the newer OEM software (so back to 163HP again for now), 'n on that file my tuner has to remap the car again, 'n the error should not come back anymore!
Old May 29th, 2010, 14:23   #38
br1anuk

Just as an update to this post and the troubles we've had with fuel consumption and DPF regeneration.

I now know where all the diesel has been going...............yes it's all in the sump.

Just checked my oil level as per recall letter and it's 15mm above the maximin level.

The car was on lease through Motability and we have agreed to return as it's not fit for purpose.

God help anyone who buys one of these in the future as a secondhand car with no warranty.

Brian.
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 22:48   #39
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Default Diesel particulate filter and rising oli levels discussion

There are a number of threads scattered around the various boards for the models affected and it has been suggested to keep the discussion here as the issue is particular to the engines and not the cars.

All the other discussions are indexed in that thread and can be linked to from there to read the previous discussions. If you know of any other discussions let me know and I will add them to the list.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 21:20   #40
rickwales

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
I was talking to a Volkswagen salesman today about replacing our V70.

I was giving him the old "it will only do 25mpg around town" and the DPF warning lights coming on every 2 weeks bit when he told me that his new boss in the sales department used to work for Volvo......

Allegedly according to him, their sales people are to under no circumstances discuss the DPF with any prospective customers unless prompted as it is well known that the cars fitted with this device are not suitable for frequent short journeys.

He then whipped round and pulled a Volkswagen leaflet off the display telling people all about how the DPF works so that if they buy a VW with it fitted they can't moan about all the hassle it causes afterwards.

Something to think about if your about to order any new car with a DPF fitted.

Brian.
I own several Volvos and work for a large Rental company which runs a lot of Volkswagens, in london we have no end of problems and even have to service vehicles occasionally at 5,000 miles however here in cardiff where most of our customers dont sit in traffic all day we have no issue with the DPF, we also run a large no of V50 1.6 ecodrive diesels and they give as much trouble, my wifes own V50 has had a couple of minor problems, I have just sold my own S60 D5 with 275,000 miles and have to say it was a faultless car probably the best I ever had, only 1 clutch failure in that mileage
rickwales is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rickwales For This Useful Post: