Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Shocks and Springs and AC.

Views : 2358

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 09:09   #31
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
Tracking gone up its £40 now but still worth it mine was a lot out 6mm I think they said .my new michelin are all perfect now .before they were scrubbing on outside edge
It's gone up to £25 where I go for front wheel alignment and £50 for all four, they also can supply tyres way cheaper than anywhere else I've been.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:48   #32
Geozyg
Praying to God of Volvos

I have recently done springs and shocks on my V70. Not the same as the 940 but similar ish McPhearson setup.

Yes you reallly do need spring compressors!

After various issues and being sent wrong parts so I had to put things back together with old parts, I had getting the strut off down to 15mins. So its all about rust and releaseing old taper joints.

Spring rating is entirely personal, do you want it standard or harder, I don't know of any softer.

I am so bored with potholes I would not go harder, you are more likely to damage tyres and rims with stiffer suspension. I would rather softer suspension and tyres pumped to the higher specification to avoid damage. But I am an old fart...
The Following User Says Thank You to Geozyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 22:15   #33
volvo always
Premier Member

Like the setup standard/ soft.

Had notification my Ridex dampers have been shipped, so can get them fitted.

Hope my £20 spring compressors are up to the job, will find out.

Hope the knocking is down to the leaking strut insert. Your prices for wheel alignment are much cheaper. Will travel further and hope to find someone who spends the time and do a good job.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Sep 8th, 2023 at 22:17.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 07:36   #34
J liddy

Hi James to swop shock absorbers and springs you will not need spring compressors when shock absorbers are off you will need just extra jack to lower t
railing arm when fully lowered the the spring is not under any compression the top mount on the spring is a bit tricky needs plenty of easing oil .or WD 40 once nut is off the spring just pulls out remove the bottom rubber gasket and clean out all the years of rust and dirt .grinston 64 on here did a tutorial which is a great help
Keep us informed
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 10:06   #35
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
Hi James to swop shock absorbers and springs you will not need spring compressors when shock absorbers are off you will need just extra jack to lower t
railing arm when fully lowered the the spring is not under any compression the top mount on the spring is a bit tricky needs plenty of easing oil .or WD 40 once nut is off the spring just pulls out remove the bottom rubber gasket and clean out all the years of rust and dirt .grinston 64 on here did a tutorial which is a great help
Keep us informed
James is doing the fronts not the rears, good luck doing the fronts without a compressor 😂
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 18:41   #36
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You can get them off without but at a risk of the red stuff leaking out of your body or even the odd bone changing shape if it goes wrong

Putting them back together is a lot harder unless fitting lowering springs
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 19:33   #37
J liddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
James is doing the fronts not the rears, good luck doing the fronts without a compressor 😂
O dear I'm very sorry keep an eye on me I'm limited in my knowledge .I did my rear springs with out need of spring compressor
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 19:34   #38
J liddy

You will need spring compressor for the fronts change over for sure
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 22:02   #39
volvo always
Premier Member

As the weather was nice today and I had free time I decided to replace my leaking nearside front shock absorber.

Worst part was getting the big nut that holds the damper insert in place. Tried some penetrating oil. Problem was, needed a vice or like me asked my customer to stand on the disk/strut to prevent it from turning and using stilsons and a rothenberger blow torch the nut finally came undone. Probably took 40 minutes. The old absorber was Volvo branded, so possibly original? No idea if original or replaced with genuine.

Only minor issue is the bottom ball joint nut would not re tighten a second time from when I rebuilt the suspension. Have ordered another TRW ball joint and will just replace it. Can't use the car, until fixed. At least have 2. ABS sensor I unplugged from inner wing in engine bay. Caliper I just removed leaving mounting bracket.

Cleaned up the spring and disc with brake cleaner and painted the parts black so as to get rid of the staining/oil leak from the damper.

Have the drivers insert to do and replace the water pump. If weather in next 2 weeks is not great may leave drivers side insert after the MOT on the 2nd of November as not leaking and install the new SKF waterpump and do an oil and filter change, plus gearbox part drain and refill.

Spring compressors I used these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256194308...3ABFBM8ufwhdJi
Impact sockets.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363541778617
Spanner set.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295489546581 Only broke the 8mm, so far. to stop Ball joint from turning while tightening.
Breaker bar. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142925863400
Ratchet set. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221809599283
Socket extension bar. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322627883099

Altogether took me 5 hours, but pleased with how it went. Hope drivers side obliges.

Many thanks. James

Last edited by volvo always; Sep 13th, 2023 at 22:27.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote