Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought a Breaker...

Views : 10244

Replies : 125

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2011, 11:20   #31
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
Chris, the column cowl looks ok, but not 100% sure 'til I unscrew it...
Yeah that looks good! Basically the tops of the screw guides have broken on mine and so it just rattles around loose!! :-S

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the glove box... I'll take this one out and look, and remember for when I'm back in Chiang Mai for my wobbly hinges.

Those two pics of yours look different, and differ from mine - you pinched someone elses images? One looks like a V70(?) and both are LHD?
Yes mate, should have mentioned - they are just random images from GOOGLE, mine is a 'normal' RHD Volvo 850 and the box you have there looks 100% the same as mine (though a lot less broken!)

Quote:
Again I'll only be sure on the condition of Red's box when I unscrew it, but have this to be going on with... should be no probs if yours is a RHD 850:
Yep that's the one. When you do unscrew it be suuuuuper careful, they are brittle as eggshell. I think when I get a new one, even if it's in perfect condition I intend to glue some metal washers behind the screw-holes and give the whole of the back of it a brush down with fibreglass to reinforce it!

Come to think of it, I'll do that with the cowling too... Old plastic = snappy plastic!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 18:19   #32
martybelfastt5
Premier Member

Question

what condition is the spoiler brackets in??? off the bootlid
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 00:50   #33
KruJoe

Default The fun begins...

So, today the stripping began...
As you said Chris, the moulded hinge mounts for the glove box are starting to crumble. I'm sure that'll be the problem on Old Grey, too:

The glove box came out ok, with only very minor brittleness starting around some of the screws. There is just one crack near a bottom corner, but it's all in one piece and if you're gong to re-reinforce it, it won't show from the front.
How much do you want to pay for it?
I'll have to pack it up very carefully if I'm to post it, or... maybe TurboDave would drop it off with you on his way back to Fife with his doors if you ask him nicely...!

The cowling was less of a success, it looks fine from the outside as you saw, but inside:

You can have it if you want, it would go again if you want to have a play with your fiber-glass. I won't be charging you for that!

Marty...

Both brackets are in fine fettle, but if you only want those, I'd much rather keep them to sell together with the spoiler so it will easily upgrade a spoiler-less car. Or do you want the whole lot?
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 19:40   #34
rallysteve
Master Member

Hi there, any luck with the CD changer interface?

Thanks
Steve

1991 205 GTi Road Car
rallysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 22:43   #35
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
So, today the stripping began...
As you said Chris, the moulded hinge mounts for the glove box are starting to crumble. I'm sure that'll be the problem on Old Grey, too:

Yep that's how it starts! If you have a feel under the hinge seat once you take the hinge off, you'll feel the thin line of plastic up the middle that's supposed to support the whole thing. Bad design and it snaps eventually!

I'll chuck you a PM about the bits matey, many thanks!

Chris...
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 23:27   #36
KruJoe

Steve, I knew there was something else I did yesterday!
I did pull out the big head unit, and unplugged it. There didn't seem to be any kind of adapter between it and the cable to the CD changer. It was plugged directly in. Just what am I looking for?

Chris, thanks for the message, I don't know if I can reply to pm's yet, I will try. Anyway the price you said for those bits is fine, I'll pack 'em up nicely and weigh it for a P+P quote...
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 08:19   #37
rallysteve
Master Member

Hi there, the adaptor should be a little unit with a short length of wire on one end and the alpine cd changer plugged into the other. It is entirely possible that it is plugged in at the CD changer end I guess. The volvo changer/head unit uses a mue ch smaller plug than the alpine changer has, so might be worth following the lead a little way at either end.
This is what it probably looks like:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-VOL...-/320716043238

Thanks
Steve

1991 205 GTi Road Car
rallysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 18:16   #38
martybelfastt5
Premier Member

how much did you want for the spoiler as the brackets now cant be bought ,if reasonable il buy the whole item tho only want the brackets sending mate ,bin or freebie the spoiler
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 20:18   #39
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Fab, thanks muchly!!

Chris...
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 22:39   #40
KruJoe

Chris, I tried a pm, but it aint happening yet, still too much of a noob. Can you pm me a real email address? Anyway it's all packed up well, not pretty but should reach you safe...

Steve, that helps thanks. I looked again at both ends, found nothing, even after taking out the changer. (I tested it first with the head unit re-attached; all fine). But then I noticed the wire was a different colour at each end, so had a rummage behind the glove box and found this:

Result!
Before I forget to tell you, the red wire was soldered into the back of the biggest head unit plug, to the yellow(purple trace), and the yellow wire to the red(black trace):

£15 all in including delivery, is that ok? Please would you pm me an email address too?

OK Marty, £15 all in, including delivery, for the brackets? I'll take the loss on the value of the spoiler without them. If I'm feeling frisky I could even have a go at fabricating replacements. Please pm me your email address if you're interested...
The Following User Says Thank You to KruJoe For This Useful Post: