Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter tyres

Views : 11070

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 16:25   #31
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumomeister View Post
Anyone come across these -

235/60 R 18 Avon Ranger Ice 107H XL

Click on Tyres have them for £110 - £32 cheaper than the Wintrac 4 Xtreme

Other sites have them considerably more expensive, so is it a genuine bargain, or are they to be avoided?

Cheers.
Sumo- try A&A tyres on Wettle Road in Cardiff who will often match or better the price. They have General grabbers in stock which are superb and much cheaper than online sites at around £120 fitted a corner. Speak to Craig or Mal, top blokes.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 20:05   #32
sumomeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Sumo- try A&A tyres on Wettle Road in Cardiff who will often match or better the price. They have General grabbers in stock which are superb and much cheaper than online sites at around £120 fitted a corner. Speak to Craig or Mal, top blokes.
Thanks mate, I'll give them a ring.

You in Cardiff too?
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 21:27   #33
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:

You in Cardiff too?
Aye, let me know how you get on. BUT Watch the 4wheel alignment guy who is a mouthy git and one of the owners sons.... Nepotism at its worst i'm afraid! He took 7goes at mine and blamed the car and wouldnt give me a printout at the end of it all. Not the cheapest either at £108 with a non existent camber adjust.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 23:34   #34
kentishdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
They have General grabbers in stock which are superb and much cheaper than online sites at around £120 fitted a corner.
That seems expensive. The going rate in SE is about £100 or less a corner.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 07:58   #35
indiebands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteski View Post
thanks to the tip on here, now sitting in my Volvo with nice new 235/65R17 (108H) Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme XL fitted courtesy of http://www.clickontyres.com/ who has some 17 and 18" still left in stock!
Hi All,

Sorry for the cross post, but this is a great thread. Based on some great feedback here (thanks!), I am planning to order the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme XL 255/50 R19 V107 (which get great reviews from owners) for our recently ordered XC90 V8 Exec.

The next question is what to do about chains for driving in the mountains during ski season. Volvo does not sell Volvo OEM chains larger than 18". The owners manual states "Certain size tires may not allow the assembly of snow chains/traction devices."

I am looking at the K Summit XXL chains (K66 size) from Thule. The chains grip onto the tire tread itself and do not hook over the inner wall of the tire, which reduces the odds of some kind of rubbing/damage to the wheel well. Does anyone have experience with chains on 19" wheels? Any concerns or issues that you'd see with these chains? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the chains http://bit.ly/9dWlzA and to the video instructions http://bit.ly/cslGBg
indiebands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 12:16   #36
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentishdriver View Post
That seems expensive. The going rate in SE is about £100 or less a corner.
Fitted and balanced with new valves etc I thought was v competitive as most online retailers charge £130 plus for supply only without postage. Your deal in the SE is brilliant and I am jealous!
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 20:47   #37
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:

You in Cardiff too?
How did it go?
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 12:15   #38
inishfalle

Default Mixing all year and winter tyres

Just changed the front tyres for Vredestein winter tyres. Rears are conti normal all year tyres. As usal with the xc90 (mying 3.2 petrol) the fronts wear quickly as the car is 60/40 front/rear driven which varies in more extreme conditions. Having experienced some extreme snow events last winter in wales and in essex, the car only slipped a couple opf times decided to try out the winter tyres this season. As the rears have shown hardly any wear have not changed them and the tyre garage did not see any issue either.

Any thoughts? should I fit rear winters as well and just store the all year round tyres?

Thanks for all thoughts.
inishfalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 13:42   #39
REDSHEEPRIDD

I would always put all 4 winter tyres on.

Is the 3.2 different with a 60:40 drive?
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 01:04   #40
Pinstripe
Other side of the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by inishfalle View Post
Just changed the front tyres for Vredestein winter tyres. Rears are conti normal all year tyres. As usal with the xc90 (mying 3.2 petrol) the fronts wear quickly as the car is 60/40 front/rear driven which varies in more extreme conditions. Having experienced some extreme snow events last winter in wales and in essex, the car only slipped a couple opf times decided to try out the winter tyres this season. As the rears have shown hardly any wear have not changed them and the tyre garage did not see any issue either.

Any thoughts? should I fit rear winters as well and just store the all year round tyres?

Thanks for all thoughts.
Dangerous idea. You are setting yourself up for snap oversteer! You should NEVER put winter tires on the front only. Never. The difference in traction between all season and winter tires is quite large. The rear of the vehicle now risks loosing traction well before the front which will cause the rear end to step out/oversteer very quickly and chances are the stability control will not be able to recoup as the tires will simply not have any traction to them. Four winter tires should always be fitted. In any circumstance that 2 winter tires are fitted, they should always be placed at the rear - even on a FWD car.

Also, all MY2006+ XC90's have a 95/5 split for power. It's only 60/40 on initial take off. Otherwise, power is varied front and rear as needed.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinstripe For This Useful Post: