Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt change V90???

Views : 19141

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2021, 15:35   #31
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is no such thing as a select service .
I didn' t even mention a select service.....
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 15:44   #32
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Clan

Just follow this link to the volvo UK website service pricing section.....

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/workshop-booking/

And chose a SPA diesel car for the 5th service and see what it says.......

Then maybe chose a petrol SPA car for the 8th service and see what that says......

Pick any dealer you want - I chose Riverside Doncaster

Volvo UK website.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 15:51   #33
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
most of the above is wrong , are you looking on the UK volvo web site ? There is no such thing as a select service ... in UK

Cam belt
VEA 90,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first ( revised 3 years ago )

older 5 cylinder diesel 108,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first ...

There is also an " ESSENTIAL SERVICE" tailored to your individual low mileage circumstances .
The illustration screen shot posted above is for UK, from MY Volvo portal. From here you can book a service and pick your dealer, then you Select Service ie Age/Mileage, In the example above I picked Riverside Volvo and have selected 90,000m/5 years. Are you saying this is the wrong service information?
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 16:28   #34
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Clan

Just follow this link to the volvo UK website service pricing section.....

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/workshop-booking/

And chose a SPA diesel car for the 5th service and see what it says.......

Then maybe chose a petrol SPA car for the 8th service and see what that says......

Pick any dealer you want - I chose Riverside Doncaster

Volvo UK website.
As I previously posted (with further detail in the linked thread) that is NOT necessarily the list that the dealer follows, instead they follow a tick list supplied by Volvo which had a significant omission for my service before last. Volvo UK initially refused to stand by the info on their website (offering me a £100 goodwill payment, which I immediately declined on principle) but then the dealer took my side in the dispute and eventually secured an agreement to undertake the missing work at Volvo UK's expense.

I'm lucky I use a great dealer with whom I have a good relationship. It seems like less scrupulous dealers could simply hide behind the 'logical error' caused by the system dumbly assuming that every Volvo car does 18k miles a year and so replace a cambelt on a low mileage vehicle during service 5 in order to cheekily boost their profits? This must have happened!

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen reports of a VEA engine suffering a failed original cam belt? Never seen any on this forum! They were originally due replacement at 144k miles but this was reduced to 90k miles for some reason.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 19:17   #35
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
As I previously posted (with further detail in the linked thread) that is NOT necessarily the list that the dealer follows, instead they follow a tick list supplied by Volvo which had a significant omission for my service before last. Volvo UK initially refused to stand by the info on their website (offering me a £100 goodwill payment, which I immediately declined on principle) but then the dealer took my side in the dispute and eventually secured an agreement to undertake the missing work at Volvo UK's expense.

I'm lucky I use a great dealer with whom I have a good relationship. It seems like less scrupulous dealers could simply hide behind the 'logical error' caused by the system dumbly assuming that every Volvo car does 18k miles a year and so replace a cambelt on a low mileage vehicle during service 5 in order to cheekily boost their profits? This must have happened!

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen reports of a VEA engine suffering a failed original cam belt? Never seen any on this forum! They were originally due replacement at 144k miles but this was reduced to 90k miles for some reason.
But you are making a pretty big leap of assumption here Zebster. Essentially you are saying that because you have found a discrepancy between the service description on the website and the tick list of the dealer then:-

a. There must be more.
b. It must involve the cambelt service interval.

These are 2 very big leaps to make.

At the moment the only certain certifiable information we have is the Volvo UK website which states service 8 for Petrol and service 5 for diesel.

As to the reduction in the interval (for diesel only I note) no, I never heard of a failure, but we must assume there was some problem. If it was purely for revenue then this would have been done across the range and not just for diesel.

On another note the interval used to be 144k/8yr for diesel and petrol. It is now 90k/5yr diesel and continues as was for petrol. This is why I know all this talk of 100k and 10 years is patent bs. There is no way they are going to simultaneously reduce the mileage limit whilst increasing the time interval. And then this guff about 108k is just that guff.

All we know for certain is what Volvo UK say and that is, as I believe I may have mentioned once or twice before on this thread, service 5 for diesel and service 8 for petrol. When mine hits service 8 I will do the belt. I am not going to try and do it at 10 years, nor try and do it early at 90k miles. I will do it at service 8 which will be about 130k and about 6.5 years old.......

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Mar 5th, 2021 at 19:20.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 20:25   #36
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
But you are making a pretty big leap of assumption here Zebster. Essentially you are saying that because you have found a discrepancy between the service description on the website and the tick list of the dealer then:-

a. There must be more.
b. It must involve the cambelt service interval.

These are 2 very big leaps to make.

At the moment the only certain certifiable information we have is the Volvo UK website which states service 8 for Petrol and service 5 for diesel.

As to the reduction in the interval (for diesel only I note) no, I never heard of a failure, but we must assume there was some problem. If it was purely for revenue then this would have been done across the range and not just for diesel.

On another note the interval used to be 144k/8yr for diesel and petrol. It is now 90k/5yr diesel and continues as was for petrol. This is why I know all this talk of 100k and 10 years is patent bs. There is no way they are going to simultaneously reduce the mileage limit whilst increasing the time interval. And then this guff about 108k is just that guff.

All we know for certain is what Volvo UK say and that is, as I believe I may have mentioned once or twice before on this thread, service 5 for diesel and service 8 for petrol. When mine hits service 8 I will do the belt. I am not going to try and do it at 10 years, nor try and do it early at 90k miles. I will do it at service 8 which will be about 130k and about 6.5 years old.......
By the same logic that I've been trying to explain, it was originally 144k/8 years only because an assumption was being made about 18k being covered each year, the actual limit was still 10 years. I'm now going to give up arguing this point, but hopefully others reading this thread will understand it. It became clear to me after discussing it with a Volvo technician, so I will recommend that course of action rather than believing the misleading worst-case assumptions made on the Volvo UK website.

Info on the Volvo UK website is for guidance/example purposes only. As I discovered they will deny that it forms a contractual arrangement and instead insist that the dealers actually operate to the latest service recommendations.

Cambelt changes at 108k miles relate to 5-cylinder engines.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 21:51   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Clan we have had this before when you state things as fact without providing any back up.

What I am quoting is directly off the Volvo UK website. This is the official website of the manufacturer. Petrol 8th service. Diesel 5th service. Nowhere, anywhere have I seen any reference to 100k miles, or 10 years or 108k miles or anything for a SPA car.

If you want to say I am wrong then fine, but please provide your evidence as to why you are right and the Volvo UK website is wrong.
My back up is working with them daily for 47 years ... It's my profession ..

Volvos web sites, public AND Internal are and always have been pretty poor often showing you USA or other market info . you are welcome to send the link to what you read ...

The Diesel 4 cylinder 2.0 litre SPA cars are now 90,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .. previously since about 2018 they were 144000 miles or 10 years ..

The older cars with the 5 cylinder Diesel are 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .

you don't do the cambelt at the 5th or 6th service if the mileage hasn't reached 90,000 or 108,000 ...

VIDA is the only true source of the correct technical service information , it is updated on a daily basis since 2015 ..

Its pretty simple and straightforward , just a pity these web sites can't get it right IF they are Volvo UK .........
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 21:59   #38
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
By the same logic that I've been trying to explain, it was originally 144k/8 years only because an assumption was being made about 18k being covered each year, the actual limit was still 10 years. I'm now going to give up arguing this point, but hopefully others reading this thread will understand it. It became clear to me after discussing it with a Volvo technician, so I will recommend that course of action rather than believing the misleading worst-case assumptions made on the Volvo UK website.

Info on the Volvo UK website is for guidance/example purposes only. As I discovered they will deny that it forms a contractual arrangement and instead insist that the dealers actually operate to the latest service recommendations.

Cambelt changes at 108k miles relate to 5-cylinder engines.
I still don't follow your logic. Surely it was initially rated at 144k or 8 years because the manufacturer believed that the cam belt became more likely to fail after 8 years of age or after 144k miles of use? Then they decided that diesel cars belts were more likely to fail after 5 years of age or 90k of use.

So why would petrol cars belts age more slowly than diesel? Don't know, but maybe it is something to do with additional strain, or premature ageing due to heat, or oil fume contamination? I don't know. Low mileage cars also tend to do more stop start motoring and more cold starts than high milers. These all put a strain on components.

If they really wanted to do something different they would quote it separately and say something like "100k or 10 years whichever comes first". But they don't. The manufacturer recommends cam belt at service 5 for diesel or service 8 for petrol. Period.

If you chose to stretch the interval then this is entirely your choice and most likely you will not suffer adverse effects, but the consequence of failure will be expensive.

So the answer to the individual initially answering the question is simple. Volvo recommends service 5 for diesel and service 8 for petrol. You might want to ignore it and you will probably get away with it, but the consequences of failure are expensive.

What does annoy me (and this is not directed at you Zebster) is all the patent bull**** posted by many people on this thread which is simply not true.

Anyway I too am bored of this whole conversation so will also bow out now.

Need to get back to doing some more work to afford my cam belt service coming up in just over a year!
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 22:00   #39
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
My back up is working with them daily for 47 years ... It's my profession ..

Volvos web sites, public AND Internal are and always have been pretty poor often showing you USA or other market info . you are welcome to send the link to what you read ...

The Diesel 4 cylinder 2.0 litre SPA cars are now 90,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .. previously since about 2018 they were 144000 miles or 10 years ..

The older cars with the 5 cylinder Diesel are 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .

you don't do the cambelt at the 5th or 6th service if the mileage hasn't reached 90,000 or 108,000 ...

VIDA is the only true source of the correct technical service information , it is updated on a daily basis since 2015 ..

Its pretty simple and straightforward , just a pity these web sites can't get it right IF they are Volvo UK .........
I've posted the link. It is Volvo UK. Please follow it.

And with the greatest of respect Clan, you have been called out for being incorrect on more than one occasion before.

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Mar 5th, 2021 at 22:06.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 22:09   #40
volvo s60 2001

This is how it looks (see the picture) on all VEA diesel engines.
Did it two days ago with friend of mine on Volvo XC60 D4 exactly 6 years old and 83k miles on the clock ( the motor miles are definitely few thousands more), just for peace of mind. Genuine cam belt and auxiliary belt with all the tensioners and pulleys and some new bolts for £240.
The job took around 3 hours with no rush. Every old part was in perfect working condition.
Anyone with some knowledge can do it and there is no need for any special tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210303_090702074~2.jpg (312.5 KB, 45 views)
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo s60 2001 For This Useful Post: