Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC-60 & garmin 765T

Views : 64082

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 17:01   #31
polles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie-Sunshine View Post
The second which is currently being tested is this one:
http://cheledigital.en.alibaba.com/p...olvo_XC60.html
Have you tested this unit in your car? If you have, all comments (pros and cons) are appreciated.

Last edited by polles; Mar 11th, 2010 at 17:05.
polles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:26   #32
Bonnie-Sunshine

Quote:
Have you tested this unit in your car? If you have, all comments (pros and cons) are appreciated.
No, I went down the route of the Kenwood unit with the Garmin sat nav system. See my post and pics here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83648

Last edited by Bonnie-Sunshine; Mar 15th, 2010 at 04:33.
Bonnie-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 16:50   #33
thanosgr
Thanos

Default GPS frame opening

Does anybody know how big is the opening of the original frame for the NAVI?
I want the dimensions (WxH) of the hole because i have same ideas for after market NAVI.
But i need this data.
The GPS i found is not Chinese.
And it is cheaper to!
Can anybody who is install after market and change it κnow?
I give you more detail's later.
Thanks.
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 21:23   #34
jlw654

Default Some Answers?

Garmin have collaberated with Volvo so in my research I went to the Volvo dealer and they came up with a replacement dashboard top insert where the manufactures unit would fit. This replacement has NO Holes but has a built in Garmin connecter for the 760/765 sat nav. There are connecting leads on the back and a connected sat nav ariel. The part number is V030758257 and is simply called "Holder". The price is an astronomical £230 odd pounds for this unit. When pressed a "trade" discount was applied making it £181.89. Fitting was quoted at a more reasonable £80. The sat nav sits on the connector and to release it you simply press down on top of the Garmin and it releases. This works in the opposite way the Garmin original, supplied with my 765 works, on this you press upward on the projection from the bottom to release. I have looked at the original Garmin as supplied and feel that their bracket minus the ball and suction cup could quite easily be, semi or permanently fixed to the "blank" facia as supplied in the car. This can then be drilled through to take the wires behind and into the wiring loom or back of cigarette lighter as has been previously suggested. So now the cost of my Garmin was £145 for the 765T with TMC receiver and I could get an auto electrician to remove the facia and wire it in without any wires showing for £50. Total cost is now £195 !! If you need to make it back to as new a replacement fitting for the car is available for approx £48. Very dear for a piece of moulded plastic, I think when the car departs I will just leave it all in and buy a newer upto date sat nav when that time comes. Hope this finally sorts out some of the queries and saves you buying the "CR*P" massively overpriced and poor factory fitted unit. P.S. The Garmin is fully updatable cheaply and has camera data base which cost £20 a year to keep updated as many times as you want.
jlw654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 23:01   #35
mikealder
VOC Member

Another option is the "Brodit" Garmin ball (see Here) which you attach to a Brodit Pro-Clip specific to your model and year of car, very secure and a considerably cheaper way to fit a quality sat nav holder in to a vehicle, click on my blog link to see a few ideas from how I have installed TomTom kit in my car using Brodit addaptors, tomorrow I will be fitting a Garmin 3790T in my car, again using Brodit kit rather than the windscreen sucker as I hate having cables all over the car! - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 09:31   #36
Another

Thanks for the info - don't suppose you'd be kind enough to post a picture of the new part number V030758257 so we can see how it fits together

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw654 View Post
Garmin have collaberated with Volvo so in my research I went to the Volvo dealer and they came up with a replacement dashboard top insert where the manufactures unit would fit. This replacement has NO Holes but has a built in Garmin connecter for the 760/765 sat nav. There are connecting leads on the back and a connected sat nav ariel. The part number is V030758257 and is simply called "Holder". The price is an astronomical £230 odd pounds for this unit. When pressed a "trade" discount was applied making it £181.89. Fitting was quoted at a more reasonable £80. The sat nav sits on the connector and to release it you simply press down on top of the Garmin and it releases. This works in the opposite way the Garmin original, supplied with my 765 works, on this you press upward on the projection from the bottom to release. I have looked at the original Garmin as supplied and feel that their bracket minus the ball and suction cup could quite easily be, semi or permanently fixed to the "blank" facia as supplied in the car. This can then be drilled through to take the wires behind and into the wiring loom or back of cigarette lighter as has been previously suggested. So now the cost of my Garmin was £145 for the 765T with TMC receiver and I could get an auto electrician to remove the facia and wire it in without any wires showing for £50. Total cost is now £195 !! If you need to make it back to as new a replacement fitting for the car is available for approx £48. Very dear for a piece of moulded plastic, I think when the car departs I will just leave it all in and buy a newer upto date sat nav when that time comes. Hope this finally sorts out some of the queries and saves you buying the "CR*P" massively overpriced and poor factory fitted unit. P.S. The Garmin is fully updatable cheaply and has camera data base which cost £20 a year to keep updated as many times as you want.
Another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:05   #37
jlw654

Default Volvo Part

I have ordered my XC60 for September delivery and so I have not yet purchased the part. I asked the dealer to get the part in for me so that I could see it and they readily obliged. They did not know of this option so they were interested to see what it was.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:16   #38
jlw654

Default Re Mikes Solution

The Brodit solution is a good similar idea and allows the holder for the Sat Nav to be fixed into the vehicle and can be placed on the trim that is in the car where the manufacturers Sat Nav would have been installed. This still allows you to leave the Garmin cradle installed and hard wire in the power and TMC cable out of sight behind the dash. Then you can remove the Sat Nav from its cradle and take it with you. With using the original Garmin cradle fixed diectly it will not stand out as much and be very similar to the Volvo "part number" solution at a lot less cost. Having spent all that on a car I think I will decide not to "bodge" it and pay for the Garmin/Volvo part number V030758257 for the sake of neatness and ease, I am getting lazy !!
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 17:49   #39
Becks325

Default Removing the Garmin

I have the dealer installed Garmin navigation option, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the device. Everywhere I have read about it says that it's "portable" and "removable" but HOW? The main reason I opted for the Garmin was that I could remove it and use it anywhere.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 21:05   #40
jlw654

Default Remove

To remove it press down on the top edge of your Garmin against the springs and it can then be removed from the top edge first towards you.