Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

Views : 14427

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2023, 21:21   #31
Backinavolvo

Any tips for the diy replacement? New struts don't need coding?

Last edited by Backinavolvo; Apr 17th, 2023 at 21:23.
Backinavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 09:20   #32
SmartMAC

I have a very simple video I did here. You can see where the connectors are and how it looks behind the trim.
https://youtu.be/Vf8RJQ-9Wzg

You can buy the new struts from Volvo. They have a new part number and they are different from the originals. They sound different too. Quieter.
You need to pull the trim from both sides. Very easy.

For the LHS you need to start from the bottom where the small net is. Pull from the top and it comes out easily. There are 3 screws behind it and the upper part can be unclipped after.
Once you have that done, you will be able to see the connector for the strut at the top. disconnect and remove the strut from the tailgate (use a flat screw driver to do this). When you fit the new one you will see that it comes extended and it is just a question of fitting it and plugging it in.

The RHS is very similar but you do not need to remove the trim completely as you have plenty of space by just unclipping the area closer to the tailgate.
Take your time when re-fitting the trim as it interlocks with the roof lining and other parts of the plastic trim. It should go back easily once you see where the clips are.
It worked perfectly after the install.

Hope it helps
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 09:18   #33
DarrenHunt

After replacing with new struts, does the car need a software update?
DarrenHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 10:24   #34
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMAC View Post
I have a very simple video I did here. You can see where the connectors are and how it looks behind the trim.
https://youtu.be/Vf8RJQ-9Wzg

You can buy the new struts from Volvo. They have a new part number and they are different from the originals. They sound different too. Quieter.
You need to pull the trim from both sides. Very easy.

Great, thanks for the write-up and video.

Can you share the part number?

I have a 68 plate V60 and while the struts seem OK at the moment, they are starting to sound a bit arthritic so it is probably only a matter of time.
I bought the car 2nd hand and it doesn't have full Volvo service history, so I don't hold up much hope of goodwill from the dealer.
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 22:38   #35
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post

I have a 68 plate V60 and while the struts seem OK at the moment, they are starting to sound a bit arthritic so it is probably only a matter of time.
I bought the car 2nd hand and it doesn't have full Volvo service history, so I don't hold up much hope of goodwill from the dealer.
I had one strut go on my 68 V60. It went as I was opening the tailgate. It was a big bang then the tailgate dropped. Fortunately for me the dealer replaced both under warranty. The new ones are a lot better, at least so far.
If yours are a bit grumbly then I suggest you change them sooner rather than later, the tailgate is quite heavy.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 12:30   #36
JG81

I can add my car to the list of having this issue.

Did anyone manage to source an aftermarket pair of struts as a solution?

I was wondering if there are compatible gas/hydarulic struts as the power tailgate is not really a dealbreaker for me on the car.

Thanks

Jonathan
JG81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 14:44   #37
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post

You can slide the cover off them. You then find a rusty mess underneath. I covered mine in light grease and slid the cover back on. Went from a little noisy to quieter and smoother - and stayed that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 12:07   #38
JG81

Got a replacement strut off eBay and fitted within about 15 mins.

The YouTube video from the Spanish chap (see earlier in thread) definitely helped. Thanks!

Boot now opening nicely with no drop.

Seal/gasket had obviously gone on the old strut leading to the failure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6BAEAF2D-5B0F-4162-81B4-9ACAC8D0EA36.jpg (58.7 KB, 38 views)
JG81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 13:02   #39
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Had same problem on our 2008MY V70 and discovered that by removing the piece of trim that holds the boot light (5 minutes) it was possible to use camera on phone (flash) to read the part number on the strut.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 13:59   #40
Number 6

Car - 2019 V60 ph II
This is a fate that awaits use all with these struts on early cars, it only a matter of time before they fail.
After the first initial tailgate sinks a few inches after opening at the end of October I decided last weekend to investigate the failure of one strut.
The initial failure is through fatigue failure of the spring, brought on from the addition of rust on the spring surface, this has happened over multiple areas of the spring over time rendering the spring useless.
You would of hoped that the manufacturing Tier 1 supplier would have conducted the fatigue bench tests to identify the life expectancy of these struts, but have they considered the additional fatigue caused by the surface corrosion on a stressed surface.
Likewise with ELK75 (post 12) there is no identified aftermarket units after spending Sunday afternoon searching Europe /USA on the web, but plenty of early XC60, so I need advice to see if the SPA platforms are interchangeable and usable as these are approx. £80 new aftermarket.
I would agree that the replacement part number is 31690924 as identified by JollyGeo (post13) for the new replacement struts. I did not persist in chasing the existing component part number for the bother of removing the interior trim for a clear terminal failure.
The initial failure was the same as JG81 at the top seal, but consider there is no weather seal between the sliding covers, which still allows air and moisture to reach the spring.

Thanks to SmartMac for the video.

Has anybody enquired at Volvo support for their viewpoint on assistance, many responses are posted here for Volvo to have stepped in to assist as a quality concern.

Photo hopefully attached

Regards to all
No6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-21 134132.jpg (91.3 KB, 43 views)
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, sinks, struts, tailgate, v60