Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NEC CLassic Car Show

Views : 4245

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 20:50   #31
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Whose 740 was being broken into?
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 15:50   #32
kev240
Master Member

Thumbs down

Spent two days at the Classic Car Show at the NEC, lovely cars on the VOC stand, but felt it was not very welcoming, got a nod of the head when I said 'hello' to one official, and the guy that stuffed the Volvo Driver binder that I had bought into a Morrisons carrier bag didn't even say 'thanks'.
I spent more time on the Volvo Enthusiasts Club stand where the members were a lot more pleasant and engaged in conversation !
I was along with friends who were interested in other clubs, and they passed comment on the rather cold response on the VOC stand, when we visited their club stands we were given a much better reception, even enyoying a complimentary hot chocolate at one of the stands.
Very disapointed member.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 17:35   #33
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev240 View Post
I spent more time on the Volvo Enthusiasts Club stand where the members were a lot more pleasant and engaged in conversation !
I wasn't sure they actually existed ! When I try to get insurance most companies assume I am a member of their club and don't have the VOC on their list.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:28   #34
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Nec

The car being 'broken into' was the 740 as unfortunately the keys were locked in the boot. The breakdown service which Nigel had finally managed to gain access without damaging anything. Much relief as the alternative was a 350 mile round trip for keys, or 'removing' a piece of glass.

Having been on the stand I am naturally very disappointed with the comments about not being friendly - I did my very best with the numerous people I spoke to, and from what I witnessed so did everyone else on the stand - there were many visitors and very considerable time was spent with them trying to help and advise.

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 03:30   #35
940Graeme
Premier Member

Default NEC GCCG Stand

I am pleased to note that my "other" group - the Gay Classic Car Owners Club - had a stand at the NEC including this lovely 850R belonging to one of our members. Volvo's appealing to all..........of course! A great show, as always!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850R.jpg (63.4 KB, 26 views)
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 09:27   #36
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev240 View Post
Spent two days at the Classic Car Show at the NEC, lovely cars on the VOC stand, but felt it was not very welcoming, got a nod of the head when I said 'hello' to one official, and the guy that stuffed the Volvo Driver binder that I had bought into a Morrisons carrier bag didn't even say 'thanks'.
I was along with friends who were interested in other clubs, and they passed comment on the rather cold response on the VOC stand, when we visited their club stands we were given a much better reception, even enyoying a complimentary hot chocolate at one of the stands.
Very disapointed member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wickers View Post
Having been on the stand I am naturally very disappointed with the comments about not being friendly - I did my very best with the numerous people I spoke to, and from what I witnessed so did everyone else on the stand - there were many visitors and very considerable time was spent with them trying to help and advise.
I'll be honest, I've not been here long and got confused about who's forum I'm actually on! So VEC was the little one? VOC was the larger stand with the guy sat at a desk surrounded by free Volvo magazines? We had a chat with him about my dad's new XC60 and even though he didn't salute when I mentioned my XC90 he seemed friendly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940Graeme View Post
I am pleased to note that my "other" group - the Gay Classic Car Owners Club - had a stand at the NEC including this lovely 850R belonging to one of our members. Volvo's appealing to all..........of course! A great show, as always!
I was really pleased to see you guys there. In fact yours was just about the first stand we looked at. It's been quite a few years since I was at the Classic Car Show and I'm glad that such an event can welcome everyone.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 10:26   #37
kev240
Master Member

"I am pleased to note that my "other" group - the Gay Classic Car Owners Club - had a stand at the NEC including this lovely 850R belonging to one of our members. Volvo's appealing to all..........of course! A great show, as always! "

The 854R, (check the rear badge !), was a lovely car, well detailed and very clean, for an ex cop car, unmarked, had a very interesting conversation with the owner about the car and the amount of work he had put into it.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kev240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 14:29   #38
Roo
T5 - White

*Andrew has a big smile on his face*
I had a fantastic weekend and my 854 was very well received. Kev240, its chatting to people like you that made the weekend all the more worthwhile. I was a little apprehensive taking her to the show as the last time I displayed her she had very little interest (that was over 3 years ago though) I guess 850's are now coming into their own. which is good.

Just one thing though, T5, not R
The Following User Says Thank You to Roo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 17:49   #39
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Just one thing though, T5, not R
I didn't think it was an 'R' - I had a good look at it and it didn't strike me as being one (having had one before myself). It was superbly presented though, I dream of having a car that clean

I was going to stop for a chat but you were all having a good natter so I thought it'd be rude to interrupt lol. A very jovial and happy looking lot you were, easily the happiest stand in the show.

BTW I was parked next to your club a while ago -

Yup, thats the HotRod in the middle. It was at the Wings & Wheels show back in May IIRC. They were quite boisterous back then as well lol
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 00:37   #40
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wickers View Post
The car being 'broken into' was the 740 as unfortunately the keys were locked in the boot. The breakdown service which Nigel had finally managed to gain access without damaging anything. Much relief as the alternative was a 350 mile round trip for keys, or 'removing' a piece of glass.

Kind regards

Chris
Sounds like you should have had last years team back Chris, no complaints then?