Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Lucky' - Volvo Amazon 133

Views : 4571

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 15:25   #31
ClassicCarMan

Default Before & After Pictures of the Wheels

As requested. Before and after shots taken through the rain showers. Wheel trims not on yet, will wait until I have that new wheel nut before putting them on. Thanks.
ClassicCarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 18:08   #32
volvogv
Master Member

Those wheels look fantastic! Extra kudos for going back to stock wheels....
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvogv For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2014, 20:25   #33
ClassicCarMan

Default Your only supposed to take the B***** doors off!

Easter Bank Holiday Weekend was a cracker. Warm and dry. Car washed, polished and most of it waxed too. Car cover on at night now. Next came removing the drivers door. I removed the door handle and window winder (breaking the spacer in the process). Problem was that the door trim was backed with plywood rather than the usual cardboard so there was very little give. With that off the rest came off quite easily referring to my Haynes Manual and very expensive ebay buy (99p) Volvo 120 Series Autobook...I just got plastered in copper grease as did my clothing...With everything from the door removed, bagged and labelled so I know what everything is. I also found the door was in quite good nick, the bad corrosion at the top was actually was the quarter light frame which sits on top the door frame had rotted away completely and the thin strip of metal that holds the window scrapper rubber need cutting out and replacing. Of course the usual paint blisters and some of the very bottom is filler I expect.

So I then looked at the hinge screws. They were not going to budge in a hurry so I popped into Douglas and purchased an impact driver, then on trying it out found that due to the dashboard I would not be able to get them all out - no room. So that meant the hinge bolts instead but that meant getting the wing off. That process was not too bad (only one sheered bolt) but I found almost the whole top of the wing where it bolts to the body has gone and around the headlight (filler) and side light (corrosion) are in need of attention. I also saw bad corrosion and a hole once the wing was off on the car itself - the tubular part at the front end of the car needs replacing. I also will at some point need to get new head lights as the drivers wing had a sealed beam unit. Side light is OK though and the rubber, lens and surround are all in good nick as is the headlight bucket once it is cleaned. I attach some photo's of the aftermath.

Following weekend I took the wing and door to a bodyshop. First I was told that they would not look at anything until I had it sandblasted by another company - they could give me the name of, who they said was reasonable but it might take several weeks before they got done. Then I was to bring them back and the company next door could make repair sections and they would then get them back fit them, weld them, and paint them. However, I was told that the wing would cost more to repair than replace. He told me he could see just for the wing itself could easily take a days labour of a panel beater so that alone is £230.

With that I went home to think. I have since spoken to another bodyshop who also farm out the shot blasting but I would only need to go to them and they would do the necessary from start to finish. The downside is they are only open Mon to Fri, 9AM - 5PM so I need to take a day off work... I have also just spent a fortune on spares and tools (Dewalt cordless drill in B&Q half price for example - I know I am weak willed but it is a must when you own a non branded, chuck key, corded thing and you need a very long extension lead from the house to use it outdoors). Still removing the lock from the driver door handle, glass from the quarter light and cleaning up items, etc, has kept me busy. I am replacing all the glass in the door as it is the drivers door and the fact the glass is 43 years old. As someone told me, glass ages over time and looses its properties. It is true. I remember replacing the windscreen on my 1959 Morris Minor, the difference it make was huge, it repelled the rain better (no more rainx) and it (sounds daft) but it was clearer (no more scratches I suppose).

I am also going to replace the locks as currently I have one key that fits the drivers door, another key that opens the boot but neither of these keys opens the passenger door! As to the passenger door I will wait until the drivers door is completed before I remove it. I then have a reference point to look at and study when putting the driver door back together again as getting stuff off is easy getting it all back on and working is the fun part! One step at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door Off.jpg (297.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Door 1.jpg (226.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Drivers Door 2.jpg (239.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Front of Wing.jpg (297.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Hole in Tubular Frame - (front bonnet rubber can be seen top right).jpg (95.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Nasty Corrosion that need Attention.jpg (169.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Quarterlight Frame 1.jpg (171.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Quaterlight Frame 2.jpg (232.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Top of Drivers Wing - looking from above.jpg (259.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Wing Off.jpg (272.6 KB, 24 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClassicCarMan For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:20   #34
volvogv
Master Member

Here in the States we call that, "Project Creep". The deeper you dig, the more problems you find!
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 22:53   #35
ClassicCarMan

Yes your certainly right there - I always expect the worst and then if it is not as bad as I thought, it is a bonus!

Tags
133, lucky, volvo amazon