Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 fuel consumption

Views : 21451

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2010, 14:18   #31
KiwiRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufeua View Post
Nope - as far as I am aware only avail as a D3... dont even think there is a DRIVe now? Only 5 cyl diesels - NO 4 cyls anymore
You can still get 4 cyclinders DRIVe's in Scandinavia, I don't know why anyone would want one, far to small an engine for such a large car.

I don't really understand the D3, based on the mpg most folks here are getting and what a colleague at works gets from his my 175HP 2.4D gets just as good mpg. I don't see why the 2.4D was dropped, the D3 isn't any better, if anything its slightly inferior, since the 2.4D has a higher towing capacity.
KiwiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 14:59   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
You can still get 4 cyclinders DRIVe's in Scandinavia, I don't know why anyone would want one, far to small an engine for such a large car.

I don't really understand the D3, based on the mpg most folks here are getting and what a colleague at works gets from his my 175HP 2.4D gets just as good mpg. I don't see why the 2.4D was dropped, the D3 isn't any better, if anything its slightly inferior, since the 2.4D has a higher towing capacity.
Actualy the 1.6 D works quite well , it has torque if not BHP , the D3 is a cracking engine more low rpm "go" than the old 2.4 . Its there for tax purposes , ie low emission ..
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 16:49   #33
dufeua

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufeua View Post
1.6D drivE [109ps] is being replaced by D3 drivE [163ps] 1.6d is no longer avail as it only meets mandated Euro 3 targets. D3 is Euro 4 hence the change, 1.6 DrivE fits into the 'all the time normal driving pace' you can't normally go any faster these days..... relaxed and lower cabin noise with the 1.6D. D3 nice punchy overtake though but do you actually get anywhere? Next set of lights and the steady 1.6D is right behind you. You really have to get a pace on to increase the average speed. Even continental autoroutes fully loaded its more than adequate to exceed the speed limit. Why did Volvo go the D3 route and not upgrade the 1.6 to Euro v? Probably badge engineering .. I couldnt possilby have of those ... a mere 1.6 in a Volvo estate PAh. All of a sudden it was adequte and now its not. D3 is a nice option but its [was] also another £1900. D3 is the way to go if it hits the real day consumption figures as advertised.
Apoligies to everyone - I made a mistake the 1.6D is Euro IV [4] and the D3 is Euro V [5]. Sorry for the duff gen.
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 06:32   #34
KiwiRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Actualy the 1.6 D works quite well , it has torque if not BHP , the D3 is a cracking engine more low rpm "go" than the old 2.4 . Its there for tax purposes , ie low emission ..
The 1.6 works well if you only have a driver in the car, if you load it up like the family load lugger that it is, it struggles, you certainly can't load it up then tow a boat or caravan plus wife and 2-3 kids.

The D3 doesn't feel like it has more go low down than the 2.4D, it has less torque.
KiwiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:38   #35
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default What belt issues?

and we were pretty relieved given the D5 belt issue (Irishcarfan right back at the beginning of the thread)

Can someone tell me please? We have an '03 reg V70 D5 engine. Anything we should know about (121,000 miles)

Cheers
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 18:42   #36
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
The 1.6 works well if you only have a driver in the car, if you load it up like the family load lugger that it is, it struggles, you certainly can't load it up then tow a boat or caravan plus wife and 2-3 kids.

The D3 doesn't feel like it has more go low down than the 2.4D, it has less torque.
Thats a thought about a fully loaded car but i guess you would change down to 4th at lower speeds to compensate for that ..
The D3 feels very lively away from rest , whether it is gearing or more low down boost i'm not sure , but pulls off from rest like a scalded cat . However runs out of puff at 3800 rpm , you dont need to venture up in that area though .
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 19:17   #37
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The D3 feels very lively away from rest , whether it is gearing or more low down boost i'm not sure , but pulls off from rest like a scalded cat . However runs out of puff at 3800 rpm , you dont need to venture up in that area though .
Absolutely agree with that, it has nearly the same torque as the D5 (20 less I think) and I feel it's quite leggy in the gearing.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 22:48   #38
dufeua

As TommyWeaves kindly pointed out - after all this thrashing about has anybody got 'in a nutshell' the real world everyday consumption figures [excluding egos] for: -

1- 2.4D
2 - D3
3 - 1.6 DRIVEe

It would appear to me the quoted catalogued Volvo catA/B/C figures are completely irrellevant AND fictious.
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 18:38   #39
Clan
Experienced Member

Re 1.6 Drive E i have got 63 mpg from a non stop start C30 when i did 4 x 100 mile trips back and forth to the midlands from near bristol , without touchinig a motorway .. The C30 should be the most economic as it has extensive aerodynamic devices underneath , front centre and rear ..

Funnily enough the most economical versions i have seen are the V50 where i have seen over 73 mpg averages showing on the fuel computers .So it can be done but you have to drive it for economy .. thats never going over 2000 rpm or 60 mph and not driving in a hilly area and making every journey a long one .
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 23:32   #40
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I'm half way through my latest tank of fuel and my average mpg according to the computer is a dire 34!

Mind you that's all been done locally with appalling weather and road conditions and I'm not driving it economically.

All in all after nearly 4,000 miles I think mid 30s is worst case and mid 40s is best case scenario.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote