Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interesting selling experience so far - 760 GLE

Views : 2242

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2022, 20:51   #31
russwinchester

Just to ressurect this thread, I've had no joy with selling. Now on eBay with a £1000 start bid so someone may end up with a bargain and I will end up out of pocket!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165402160982
russwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 21:55   #32
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

If I didn't have my 960 goddess and s80 v8 fat slag #2 then I would be bidding but I have six cylinders already and I love that straight six smoothness and for getting tickets and blasting around the fens the V8 does that in spades.

Nice car though I hope someone buys it that will appreciate it
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 23:21   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Hopefully some of the previous watchers (i was one but i think you knew that) turn into bidders this time round Russ in the hope they can get a bargain.

That said, being realistic with fuel @ £Limbs/Litre, it might not be an easy sell of an allegedly thirsty mid-late 80s V6 auto.
As we both know, on a run they are surprisingly good and it's on the short runs they can get a bit juicy but overall, still not bad to run unless you compare it to something like a Toyota Aygo or similar.

Hopefully it finds an enthusiast who is more worried about preserving a rare piece of Volvo history than how many mpg they can get on their weekly commute and makes a decent price.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 00:15   #34
russwinchester

You’re quite right about economy, I’ve now sorted the fuel gauge (stuck float) and it’s not as thirsty as I previously thought. Did 70 miles of motorway today and I’d guess at mid 20’s plus I wasn’t hanging around). It really is in its element cruising at speed, it’s really surprised me.

Ps seems fo be a lot of Volvo action in East Anglia, my folks have lived in Ely for many years so I’m often over your way…not in the 760 mind.

Good news is I won’t be leaving the brand once the 760 goes, my wife has ordered an XC40 electric on lease. Chalk and cheese though 🙄
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 00:52   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Given the reported delays on all new cars at the moment, you may want to hang on to the 760 a while longer! :thumbs-up:

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 04:06   #36
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
You’re quite right about economy, I’ve now sorted the fuel gauge (stuck float) and it’s not as thirsty as I previously thought. Did 70 miles of motorway today and I’d guess at mid 20’s plus I wasn’t hanging around). It really is in its element cruising at speed, it’s really surprised me.
Both mine make the twenties although with my right foot being a bit leaden the S80 doesn't make much more than 23 mpg on Average.

The Goddess though is a peach and using cruise control she'll easily make 25-27 mpg and in true Brick RWD comfort and smoothness. She's all about the Space, Grace and when you need it overtaking a surprising amount of pace. But heck just look at the Smiles per Gallon that's something no EV has given me yet.

user222499_pic11633_1621640409.jpg

I really hope you get a good price especially as I have a hankering for different rarer volvos.

I am still beating myself up on not buying a rare 480 Turbo with an Autobox.. it ticked all my buttons, Volvo tick, Rare tick, Weird Looking tick and tick.

But I whimped out and didn't buy it I mean how many Volvo's does one man need?
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 10:43   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
I am still beating myself up on not buying a rare 480 Turbo with an Autobox.. it ticked all my buttons, Volvo tick, Rare tick, Weird Looking tick and tick.

But I whimped out and didn't buy it I mean how many Volvo's does one man need?
Don't be too hard on yourself, it only ticks two out of your 3 boxes because it's a Renault in a pretty dress.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 12:46   #38
Forrest
VOC Member

I’m not convinced the fuel economy argument stands up unless you do a lot of miles each year. If you can get 25mpg out of an old Volvo versus say 50mpg out of a reasonable size modern car the modern car would obviously halve your annual fuel bills. At the current £8 per UK gallon that means the modern car would save:

10,000 miles per year £1,600 / year,
20,000 miles per year £3,200 / year, etc.

Compare that with the depreciation and loss of capital return on the extra money you’d spend getting an otherwise inferior modern car and I’ve never been able to make it make sense.

I guess the icing on the cake in my case was, during the pandemic, investing the money I didn’t spend on a brand new car in oil stock which I sold when oil hit a 14-year high a couple of weeks ago; but I digress!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 14:28   #39
russwinchester

The auction for my 760 ends tonight. A few interested parties and a couple of bids but I don't think it's going to break any world records! To be fair I'm just pleased I've got any bids, couple of nice people have viewed it and commented on what a good example it is so that's reassuring, just hoping it goes to a fellow enthusiast who will keep it on the road.

I think most of the people watching the auction (currently 147!!!) are members on here or my mates, but anyway grab some popcorn and feel free to watch the anticlimax at 21:25pm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 15:12   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
The auction for my 760 ends tonight. A few interested parties and a couple of bids but I don't think it's going to break any world records! To be fair I'm just pleased I've got any bids, couple of nice people have viewed it and commented on what a good example it is so that's reassuring, just hoping it goes to a fellow enthusiast who will keep it on the road.

I think most of the people watching the auction (currently 147!!!) are members on here or my mates, but anyway grab some popcorn and feel free to watch the anticlimax at 21:25pm
Fingers crossed for a last hour rush of bids Russ!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: