Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 sudden power power loss

Views : 19319

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 13:46   #31
keithC70

Default stalling/loss of power

Bernard, I don't know what's in a D5 tank but many years ago I had similar problems on my petrol 265.
The Volvo garage told me the tank pump was failing, so I bought and fitted one. No change!
Volvo then told me the main pump was failing - yes you've guessed it, bought it, fitted it, - no change.

Finally the penny dropped - there was a metal gauze sock fitted over the petrol intake at the base of the tank pump. It looked clean and as new, unblocked.
I took it off and threw it away - no more fuel starvation problems!

Maybe it's something simple like that?
keithC70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 22:06   #32
Bernard333
Premier Member

Keith , thanks for the pointer , I think I recall there is a gauze filter on the inlet to the in tank fuel pump on my D5 . Since the problem peaked this January and I unplugged and replugged in some of the sensors such as MAF and O2 I have not had a repeat of the problem for which I should just be greatful but because the state of it at that time became so bad that I wouldnt risk driving more than a mile or so from home in case I needed a tow I am really wanting to know what caused it in the first place so if the weather permits over the next month or so will have a second look at everything. I know cars dont fix themselves but this situation feels to me like that because there is really nothing I have done that I could show that I have fixed the problem .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 16:23   #33
xzy1987¸

hi,

i have similiar problem on my volvo s80 d engine year 2002.it laso goes in limp mode at fast accelerating at aprox. 2200 rpm and preasure in injectors at 1400bar.I readed the error code and it was : 0094 - Fuel system leak detected - smal leak . i have already changed the fuel filter.What could be wrong ?

p.s. this erros does not appear in turning engine up to 4000rpm when the car is not moving,but when trying to accelerate fast in 3rh or 4th... it goes in limp mode.

If any clues please tell me,

Regards

Matej
xzy1987¸ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 20:04   #34
Bernard333
Premier Member

Matej , one thing we can definitely rule out are O2 sensors as its been pointed out to me that there arnt any on the early D5 engines including yours although I believe a lot newer diesels now do have them . Back in January when this problem was at its worst for me in addition to my V70 D5 I was also working an a V70 2.4T petrol which does have O2 sensors so it was probably these I disconnected as I had the cars jacked up side by side with various bits hanging off each car . On the D5 it definitely had a positive effect unplugging the MAF , running for about 7 to 10kM and then plugging it back in . As you have a fault code indicating the fuelling then at least you know what area of the car to check first , could be the start of a faulty injector as some D5s up to 2003 suffered from this until Volvo introduced improvements ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 20:29   #35
Djole

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Did your mechanic tell you what the fault codes were when you had the diagnostic done as that's a good place to start?

If you've not got the fault codes then as a starting point you'll need to get them read again so you know what the car thinks is wrong with it.

Cheers,
John
I've had the same problem but according to the diagnostic tests there is nothing wrong the car. The mechanic took it for a spin and experienced the loss of power I had . I've had to leave my car (V70 D5 Sport - 2007)overnight and he tells me trying to find out what is wrong is like looking for a needle in a haystack ! Can anyone please help??
Djole is offline   Reply With Quote