Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0w/30 castrol

Views : 4893

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 23:47   #31
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Well i actually discussed this recently with the service team at Rybrooks as UK said it does, but i actually have been under the car, i even had Clan check for me via the chassis number also in addition i doubt i would end up with a black R Design tip in 50 miles. i loveee carbon fumes.

interesting i have used the Rybrooks warrington bodyshop as well with excellent results!

I would like to know which sales staff you dealt with the irony would be even higher if it was the same guy! haha PM me if you want!

I will not lie i have not enjoyed dealing with the warrington dealer myself so much though
Hi Ninja, i can't remember the name of the guy who i dealt with at Rybrook Chester, although could probably find out if you really want, but i will say that Rybrook Chester were more honest about the car they were selling me than Rybrook Warrington. Rybrook Chester's definition of no dents or interior scratches actually meant no dents or interior scratches, in fact it was practically showroom condition, and they even let me view the vehicle inside and out on my pc via webcam before making the long journey up. I never did get the little paint touchup stick they promised me though.

Certainly, if you've got a 2.0D without DPF and i have one with, and they're both about the same age, it's all a bit weird, but quite frankly i'm not too worried about having a DPF if it's self-regenerating and doesn't involve a hefty bill at 75k. It's a pity we didn't have this discussion a few days earlier, because i was in MRG Chippenham on Tuesday having the vehicle recall (washer motor harness) work done and could have asked the mechanic for a definitive answer. I'll try to find out when i go back in a few months' time for the MOT.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 23:52   #32
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
I think it is because the common standard for the 2.0D as i highlighted is not 0w/30 even though it will be fine tbh.
Yes, but it's 0W-30 that i'm being recommended by MRG Chippenham. You'd have thought it wise to go for the option suited for more extreme conditions anyway if the price is similar. Maybe the independent that askim is using just didn't have the 0W-30 in stock so were trying to push the 5W-30 that they did have.

Remember that Edge 0W-30 is a very new oil so the car stickers and manual might simply be out of date. Next time you are in Rybrook maybe you could ask the staff, it would be interesting to see what they say, but MRG Chippenham have decades of experience servicing Volvo so i'm happy with what they advise. I actually have a vague recollection of querying it on the first service and i think they did give an explanation about why they were recommending 0W-30, but i can't remember their answer.

Last edited by froggyted; Mar 9th, 2012 at 23:58.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to froggyted For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 00:47   #33
volvozx6r

Sorry to bring up the throttle body issue again. however i thought id pass on my experience of this issue. id say that 30% of the throttle body issue have been through over tightened hose clip. You can heae it ping back when you slacken the clip. just thought it was worth a mention.
volvozx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvozx6r For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:46   #34
froggyted
Master Member

Have just had reread my last post about Edge 0W-30 and here's another thought: if you believe the Castrol literature, which i believe is available on their site, Edge is quite a unique oil and so competing OW-30 oils may not have all of the properties of this oil. Therefore, Volvo would probably not want to specify this oil as a preference in their literature because it may not be universally available, so that by specifying 5W-30 oils generally consumers have a wider choice.

I can't pretend to have any real technical expertise reagarding oil classification, but it does seem to me that the difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 is probably marginal and therefore the engine would be happy with either. However, why have an oil that is thicker cold and takes longer to make its way around the engine (increasing the risk of engine wear) when you can have a thinner one, if both of these viscosities have been recommended by the manufacturer? Here is a very useful article that may help to shed a bit more light on things:

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 11:37   #35
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
Have just had reread my last post about Edge 0W-30 and here's another thought: if you believe the Castrol literature, which i believe is available on their site, Edge is quite a unique oil and so competing OW-30 oils may not have all of the properties of this oil. Therefore, Volvo would probably not want to specify this oil as a preference in their literature because it may not be universally available, so that by specifying 5W-30 oils generally consumers have a wider choice.

I can't pretend to have any real technical expertise reagarding oil classification, but it does seem to me that the difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 is probably marginal and therefore the engine would be happy with either. However, why have an oil that is thicker cold and takes longer to make its way around the engine (increasing the risk of engine wear) when you can have a thinner one, if both of these viscosities have been recommended by the manufacturer? Here is a very useful article that may help to shed a bit more light on things:

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
hi froggyted

i think you have hit the spot on your post as the 0w/30 and 5w/30 are practically identical but the edge is made up by better base stock for sure

the techical data is as below as you can see the 5/30 has 2 different number is some of the test as the first one is the typical and the second will be the max:

edge professional a5 0w/30 5w/30

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.844 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 9.78 9.46/12.5
Viscosity, CCS -35C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5950 4800/6600
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 56.4 53.1
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 160 163
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 1.12 1.2/1.4
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -54 -45
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 213 207

obviously you can see that the magnatec is not as good stock base as the Edge and the most important the viscosity are practically identical and if i am not wrong (please let me know if i am wrong) the castrol 5w/30 is a group 3 oil therefore really not a "real" full syntetic oil group 3 "synthetic" motor oils must employ Viscosity Additives being petroleum based this why the level might change from batch to batch

and especially for Euro IV car the Edge will be better, the better combination would be edge 0W/30 and shell v power diesel and a lot of problem with the DPF should be reduced as you releasing a lot less ash in the DPF.

askim98
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:18   #36
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askim98 View Post
hi froggyted

i think you have hit the spot on your post as the 0w/30 and 5w/30 are practically identical but the edge is made up by better base stock for sure

the techical data is as below as you can see the 5/30 has 2 different number is some of the test as the first one is the typical and the second will be the max:

edge professional a5 0w/30 5w/30

Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.844 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 9.78 9.46/12.5
Viscosity, CCS -35C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5950 4800/6600
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 56.4 53.1
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 160 163
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 1.12 1.2/1.4
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -54 -45
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 213 207

obviously you can see that the magnatec is not as good stock base as the Edge and the most important the viscosity are practically identical and if i am not wrong (please let me know if i am wrong) the castrol 5w/30 is a group 3 oil therefore really not a "real" full syntetic oil group 3 "synthetic" motor oils must employ Viscosity Additives being petroleum based this why the level might change from batch to batch

and especially for Euro IV car the Edge will be better, the better combination would be edge 0W/30 and shell v power diesel and a lot of problem with the DPF should be reduced as you releasing a lot less ash in the DPF.

askim98
Hi askim, you have a more detailed technical knowledge than me regarding oils i think, but as far as i know Magnatec isn't a full synthetic (i seem to remember having a conversation about this with someone in Halfords years back). Thanks very much for the detailed spec which you have quoted.

Certainly, if you believe Castrol's sales literature, Edge seems to do wonderous things, claiming to be "Castrol's strongest and most adaptive range of engine oils yet", containing "Fluid Strength Technology". The fact that an Edge 5W-30 variant also exists muddies the water somewhat, because ninja is stating that strictly speaking this doesn't meet the 2.0D spec; also,when your in dependent was claiming that 5W-30 is a better oil for your engine maybe they weren't taking into account Edge 0W-30. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned Edge 0W-30 is being recommended by my main dealer as the best oil for my engine, and they obviously have access to the most up to date databases from Volvo in Gothenburg, so they will know what they're talking about. If you have problems finding the Volvo Professional variant of Edge 0W-30 (which has been further tweaked with input from Volvo engineers) you will probably find that some (but not all) main dealers can supply it. MRG Chippenham certainly do, so give them a ring if all else fails. The 1 litre topup bottles they are supplying me have the Volvo name incorporated on the label.

Interestingly, in aforementioned Castrol literature, Castrol are comparing Edge A5 0W-30 directly against a leading competitor 5W-30 rather than another 0W-30 oil.

With regard to Shell V-Power, i've tried it but find it too expensive, without any obvious improvement in performance, so i stick to Shell Fuelsave. I never used to take much notice of fuel prices until they rocketed recently, when i noticed that if you shop around the Shell Fuelsave is only about 1p dearer than supermarket forecourts, and no doubt a better fuel so worth that bit extra - but that's a whole debate which has already been done on this forum!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:57   #37
askim98

Quote:
Hi askim, you have a more detailed technical knowledge than me regarding oils i think, but as far as i know Magnatec isn't a full synthetic (i seem to remember having a conversation about this with someone in Halfords years back). Thanks very much for the detailed spec which you have quoted.

Certainly, if you believe Castrol's sales literature, Edge seems to do wonderous things, claiming to be "Castrol's strongest and most adaptive range of engine oils yet", containing "Fluid Strength Technology". The fact that an Edge 5W-30 variant also exists muddies the water somewhat, because ninja is stating that strictly speaking this doesn't meet the 2.0D spec; also,when your in dependent was claiming that 5W-30 is a better oil for your engine maybe they weren't taking into account Edge 0W-30. Anyway, as far as i'm concerned Edge 0W-30 is being recommended by my main dealer as the best oil for my engine, and they obviously have access to the most up to date databases from Volvo in Gothenburg, so they will know what they're talking about. If you have problems finding the Volvo Professional variant of Edge 0W-30 (which has been further tweaked with input from Volvo engineers) you will probably find that some (but not all) main dealers can supply it. MRG Chippenham certainly do, so give them a ring if all else fails. The 1 litre topup bottles they are supplying me have the Volvo name incorporated on the label.

Interestingly, in aforementioned Castrol literature, Castrol are comparing Edge A5 0W-30 directly against a leading competitor 5W-30 rather than another 0W-30 oil.

With regard to Shell V-Power, i've tried it but find it too expensive, without any obvious improvement in performance, so i stick to Shell Fuelsave. I never used to take much notice of fuel prices until they rocketed recently, when i noticed that if you shop around the Shell Fuelsave is only about 1p dearer than supermarket forecourts, and no doubt a better fuel so worth that bit extra - but that's a whole debate which has already been done on this forum!
the comparison was made by me not by castrol, i went through all the oil that are omologated for the 2.0d engine. the biggest problem of the 5w/30 it is the quality of the base stock as there is a lot of different between the average to the max i prefer to have something that all the time is the same.

the edge look the best at least for this car, opposite case if you have BMW or Merc the best in my opinion is Mobil 1.

askim98

Last edited by askim98; Mar 10th, 2012 at 12:59.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 13:26   #38
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:

there is a few variants of magnetec depending on viscosity and ACEA rating the earlier versions of it were only part the later are full synth.

the 5w-30 edge does not meet volvo specs although there is as you say the 0w-30 Edge Volvo spec which as far as i know was designed for the later engines (outside we do not have access to the pro range) but as far as i know it could be the same overall i doubt there is much difference.

regarding the fuel thing like you i have found supermarket fuel in the 2.0D to be awful at least with no dpf it smokes greyer larger amounts sounds rougher does not start as well on cold starts, fuelsave i find produces a small black amount and overall is my regular fuel and as it is getting near MOT time for mine i am going to be running her on some v-power as a treat as she produces pretty much nothing on that stuff from the exhaust and runs so smoothly!
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 13:47   #39
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
there is a few variants of magnetec depending on viscosity and ACEA rating the earlier versions of it were only part the later are full synth.

the 5w-30 edge does not meet volvo specs although there is as you say the 0w-30 Edge Volvo spec which as far as i know was designed for the later engines (outside we do not have access to the pro range) but as far as i know it could be the same overall i doubt there is much difference.

regarding the fuel thing like you i have found supermarket fuel in the 2.0D to be awful at least with no dpf it smokes greyer larger amounts sounds rougher does not start as well on cold starts, fuelsave i find produces a small black amount and overall is my regular fuel and as it is getting near MOT time for mine i am going to be running her on some v-power as a treat as she produces pretty much nothing on that stuff from the exhaust and runs so smoothly!
I agree with your idea of running the car on V-Power prior to the MOT and might do the same. As it was about 7p dearer than the Fuelsave last time i looked there's no way i'm running the car on that regularly - as we have both discussed earlier the car has adequate power anyway, and i doubt if V-Power makes more than a very neglible difference. (i haven't noticed any when using it). Back to the oil, though, and Castrol say that Edge maximises performance (by minimising friction etc.). Certainly, my car seems to have a bit more poke lately, and i can't work out why, it could be one of several factors: natural bedding down of the engine parts (at about 29k); the Edge Oil, only put into my car at the last service in November; software upgrades done at the last service.

With regard to the difference between Edge and Edge Professional, here's a quote from the Castrol literature:
"As a sign of its Professional quality, Castrol Edge Professional also comes with a flourescent signature colouration, when shone under a UV light. This visual demonstration is the signature proof point of Castrol Edge Professional, exclusive to Car Manufacturer workshops."
However, as you say, i doubt that there is anything other than a minimal difference between the 'ordinary' Edge and the Professional range. If you really wanted to use the Professional variant i should imagine that Rybrook would be able to obtain it for you, and may be using it in their own workshop.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 13:48   #40
askim98

Quote:

hi ninja59 you are right they sell them as synthetic but they arent really fully syntetic ( they can call them syntetic due to a loophole) as it still use additive derived from Petrol while Edge doesn't.

the reason why v power is clean and oudorless due to the composition of the fuel this is the only fuel that uses a GTL Synthetic compuond on top of the normal diesel this makes the car to typically loose some low-end torque , but you will have an increase in the middle and above of the rev range.

askim98

Last edited by askim98; Mar 10th, 2012 at 13:58.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to askim98 For This Useful Post: