Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reasonable fuel consumption?

Views : 8849

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2022, 22:59   #31
pjm84

Much better than my 2005 XC70..... wow that was a work of fiction!
pjm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 10:18   #32
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm84 View Post
Much better than my 2005 XC70..... wow that was a work of fiction!
Volvo economy has only really come on since the VEA engines, I can remember a mate having a cop car estate back in the 80's and it was horrendous on fuel.

Whatever they did aside for its documented failings they really managed an engine that's able to keep up with the best sippers.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 16:38   #33
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Volvo economy has only really come on since the VEA engines, I can remember a mate having a cop car estate back in the 80's and it was horrendous on fuel.

Whatever they did aside for its documented failings they really managed an engine that's able to keep up with the best sippers.
I'd disagree with that ! The D5 163BHP on the P2 V70 was very frugal. I had a 2004 plate for a while. Even my current 215bp V70 is pretty good if driven sensibly
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 19:24   #34
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I'd disagree with that ! The D5 163BHP on the P2 V70 was very frugal. I had a 2004 plate for a while. Even my current 215bp V70 is pretty good if driven sensibly
Well I'll cede to you as you actually had one but going on what others have said to me they weren't very economic, Hyundai were the same, dunno about today but the Stellar's used to eat it.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 11:16   #35
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
The lie-o-meter doesn't actually lie, it works on at the time averages and jumbles em up giving a figure that seldom agrees with the pump receipt.

This means when you are stuck in a jam it maybe only giving 25mpg but once on the free moving dual carriageway it's giving 55 mpg, by the time you hit the pump it's mixed them all up since the last reset and as you've seen normally about 2-5 mpg out.
That's a description that doesn't match reality too well.
What really happens is that the injection system opens the injectors at certain durations, to inject a certain amount of fuel each time. The amount is calculated by multiplying dwell time by fuel pressure. It reports the amount to the trip computer. The trip computer also gets information about the distance travelled, based on the signals from the ABS-sensors at the wheels.
The math is pretty simple. Add all injected fuel to compute the sum, then divide by the distance travelled to compute fuel consumption. Calculate the inverse to compute the range (as is custom in places like the USA and UK).

I've been told by people who work with these things that although the principle is simple enough, it's easier to get it right with petrol, since it's more uniform. Apparently the exact density varies somewhat with diesel, depending on the rate of various additives they put in there for environmental reasons or whatever. So the amount it really injects may vary slightly.
I've had/have both petrol and diesel cars with trip computers, and the petrol ones have indeed been more accurate.

But the math is quite simple. No "jumbling of averages" involved.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 10:15   #36
FreshAir

Quote:

Really? I would not class the 58.8 mpg I got driving from St Austell to the Midlands yesterday as poor. D3 MY2014 V70 manual.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 11:23   #37
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Really? I would not class the 58.8 mpg I got driving from St Austell to the Midlands yesterday as poor. D3 MY2014 V70 manual.
So we don't get off on the wrong foot, the D3 is a de-tuned engine designed for that purpose, it's the urban figures that can be lousy, my Insignia would do 54 mpg on a 70 mph jaunt but it was as low as 23 urban 2.0 CDTi auto, the S90 I had I could get near 40 mpg urban out of and over 60 on a 70 mph jaunt so I'd say based on that and what other Volvo owners have told me in the past the VEA is a leap up over the older stuff mpg wise anyway.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 11:28   #38
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
That's a description that doesn't match reality too well.
What really happens is that the injection system opens the injectors at certain durations, to inject a certain amount of fuel each time. The amount is calculated by multiplying dwell time by fuel pressure. It reports the amount to the trip computer. The trip computer also gets information about the distance travelled, based on the signals from the ABS-sensors at the wheels.
The math is pretty simple. Add all injected fuel to compute the sum, then divide by the distance travelled to compute fuel consumption. Calculate the inverse to compute the range (as is custom in places like the USA and UK).

I've been told by people who work with these things that although the principle is simple enough, it's easier to get it right with petrol, since it's more uniform. Apparently the exact density varies somewhat with diesel, depending on the rate of various additives they put in there for environmental reasons or whatever. So the amount it really injects may vary slightly.
I've had/have both petrol and diesel cars with trip computers, and the petrol ones have indeed been more accurate.

But the math is quite simple. No "jumbling of averages" involved.

Sorry to have to tell you this but the average isn't worked out across the tank by the car, it's worked out over a mileage period that varies normally over the previous 40 miles, the S90 you can auto reset and it reports increments of your overall consumption,

This mean that if you did 50 miles gently followed by 30 miles of crawling and stop starting the dash might say 45 mpg but the reality is when you fill up it may work out as low as 35 mpg because it's mixed the averages up for different scenario's you've driven,

If this isn't good enough then so be it have it your way but I've seen so many people convince themselves about mpg on the dash readout to then have the same car and it's nowhere near what they said they got from it, as an old mate once said to me "innit funny how we always get the **** car?" the time the readout is accurate is when all the use has been the same use.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 13:23   #39
yostumpy

Had my D5 18 months now, always check mpg with a fill up to a click, then top up to nearest .5 lt. Always within 1.0 -1.5 mpg less than the readout, whether it’s a 400 mile 60 mph motorway jaunt , or a 400 mile 38 mpg …ah! this bloody traffic, type jaunt. Some things you just know.
In another life, I used to do antique fairs, and a tally at the end of the day , would always, no matter what or how much was sold, mean cost of stock was around 25% of the takings. As I say, some things you just know.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 14:03   #40
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Had my D5 18 months now, always check mpg with a fill up to a click, then top up to nearest .5 lt. Always within 1.0 -1.5 mpg less than the readout, whether it’s a 400 mile 60 mph motorway jaunt , or a 400 mile 38 mpg …ah! this bloody traffic, type jaunt. Some things you just know.
In another life, I used to do antique fairs, and a tally at the end of the day , would always, no matter what or how much was sold, mean cost of stock was around 25% of the takings. As I say, some things you just know.
Yes, you do get used to your car and know what to expect from a journey. We once had an 1.8cc '88 petrol VW Passat estate that did 40mpg whether driving like a Granny or thrashing it.
Chugging around locally since February in the V70 my trips are mostly <10 miles each way so no surprise that the economy isn't the best. I've wondered about using Fuelly, but seeing the figures some of you guys get it might all be a bit depressing!