Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New V70 owner: advice needed!

Views : 6453

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2022, 10:36   #31
Tatsfield
Premier Member

So you can imagine what 20% extra power output and torque will do your you!
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 10:44   #32
graphnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
So you can imagine what 20% extra power output and torque will do your you!
Exactly, +20% on my old 220bhp would be insignificant, but 136 > 163 seems like a much more worthwhile upgrade! I've yet to find someone who had done it on this particular engine though.

Last edited by graphnic; Sep 26th, 2022 at 10:50.
graphnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:42   #33
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphnic View Post
To be honest, I've been surprised just how decent it is given the power output, but it would certainly benefit from some gains. This is by far the lowest power unit I have owned for at least 10 years, having come from a 220bhp petrol VAG engine, and prior to that a 5 series, but the car itself was in really nice condition so I decided to go for it.
The reason is that the torque if not so bad in the 136hp version, it's 258 lb ft which is the same as most 2 litre diesels. Sometimes it feels a lot more spritely though (surprisingly so), I think maybe when intake is cooler as it tends to be after gentle driving.

It is also because the higher power only comes into play over 3,000 rpm. So if using less than 3,000 rpm the increase is only 14% due to the extra torque. 14% is not nothing though.

I also have the D3 136hp version and keep toying the getting it Polestar'd to 163hp. I haven't so far as I tend to drive gently most of the time, plus less output means less stress on the powertrain, although it is designed for it, so everything should last even longer. The extra power would be useful for overtaking though, but it's a rare occasion when that is needed.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:52   #34
FreshAir

Quote:
Exactly, +20% on my old 220bhp would be insignificant, but 136 > 163 seems like a much more worthwhile upgrade! I've yet to find someone who had done it on this particular engine though.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211672

An S60, but as close as can be to the same car.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:52   #35
graphnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
The reason is that the torque if not so bad in the 136hp version, it's 258 lb ft which is the same as most 2 litre diesels. Sometimes it feels a lot more spritely though (surprisingly so), I think maybe when intake is cooler as it tends to be after gentle driving.

It is also because the higher power only comes into play over 3,000 rpm. So if using less than 3,000 rpm the increase is only 14% due to the extra torque. 14% is not nothing though.

I also have the D3 136hp version and keep toying the getting it Polestar'd to 163hp. I haven't so far as I tend to drive gently most of the time, plus less output means less stress on the powertrain, although it is designed for it, so everything should last even longer. The extra power would be useful for overtaking though, but it's a rare occasion when that is needed.
Yes, quite. The BMW 520D I had for a while was 182BHP, but the torque was only slightly higher at 280 lbs/ft, although the powerband felt much wider, so it felt a lot more pacey.

How have you found the D3 in the long-term? Anything to watch out for?
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:56   #36
graphnic

Quote:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=211672

An S60, but as close as can be to the same car.
Thanks, I did see that post actually - it seems quite positive.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 12:38   #37
FreshAir

Quote:
Yes, quite. The BMW 520D I had for a while was 182BHP, but the torque was only slightly higher at 280 lbs/ft, although the powerband felt much wider, so it felt a lot more pacey.

How have you found the D3 in the long-term? Anything to watch out for?
D3 has been great. Only 1 reliability issue (leaking hose from intercooler to engine). Reading the forum they all appear pretty reliable, no DPF issues for one. Known things I expect might show themselves on the basis of others are rear trailing arm bushes and front strut top bearings. My windscreen is already changed so I know I won't have that issue - if you get any signs of water leaks from top of windscreen, get it it fixed ASAP with proper screen out reseal - this is about the most common issue here I would say. That is for safety, but also because water and electronic controls do not go well together.

Great solid cars, I've had it for just over 2 years and really enjoying it. So comfortable, loads of space. In it for the long term. I tow a caravan with it as well, it's very stable towing, power OK for towing but then the V70 is not a company car, company cars tow way better up hills.... The DPF and DMF replaced in an Octavia 1.6 TDi in the past were proof of that.

I've had a 520d before as well as a company car, it was OK. Didn't miss it. Had a Passat 2.0 150hp diesel again after that and preferred it. Handling better, space way better (5 series is so big and yet small inside), power good. Have had a vRS Octavia diesel in the past, great car as well, just not heavy enough for towing.

Drove an XF a few months back, was dreading it thinking I'd prefer it. I didn't. Didn't find the steering as good of the Volvo, felt very remote, too light. Space in them is a lot less as well. Engine great though (3.0 TDi).

Not quite got past thinking about getting the 163hp upgrade on the D3 though....
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 13:18   #38
graphnic

Quote:
D3 has been great. Only 1 reliability issue (leaking hose from intercooler to engine). Reading the forum they all appear pretty reliable, no DPF issues for one. Known things I expect might show themselves on the basis of others are rear trailing arm bushes and front strut top bearings. My windscreen is already changed so I know I won't have that issue - if you get any signs of water leaks from top of windscreen, get it it fixed ASAP with proper screen out reseal - this is about the most common issue here I would say. That is for safety, but also because water and electronic controls do not go well together.

Great solid cars, I've had it for just over 2 years and really enjoying it. So comfortable, loads of space. In it for the long term. I tow a caravan with it as well, it's very stable towing, power OK for towing but then the V70 is not a company car, company cars tow way better up hills.... The DPF and DMF replaced in an Octavia 1.6 TDi in the past were proof of that.

I've had a 520d before as well as a company car, it was OK. Didn't miss it. Had a Passat 2.0 150hp diesel again after that and preferred it. Handling better, space way better (5 series is so big and yet small inside), power good. Have had a vRS Octavia diesel in the past, great car as well, just not heavy enough for towing.

Drove an XF a few months back, was dreading it thinking I'd prefer it. I didn't. Didn't find the steering as good of the Volvo, felt very remote, too light. Space in them is a lot less as well. Engine great though (3.0 TDi).

Not quite got past thinking about getting the 163hp upgrade on the D3 though....
That's all good to hear. I think I may need the rear trailing arms doing, as I seems to have a squeak back there. Going in next week to do a service, transmission oil change and cambelt kit, so will diagnose it then.

Interesting to hear about the windscreen. The dealer had it swapped for a new one because of a large chip or crack, so hopefully it will have been done properly. It's a Lucus unit with the heating elements built in. No leaks as far as I can see.

Your car history is a little similar to mine by the sounds of it. I was looking seriously at a Diesel Passat but the Volvo was a similar price but with less miles on the clock. I also didn't want to buy a high-mile DSG.

I had the 520D but found it rather uncomfortable, especially as it was a manual. I then had a Skoda Superb, but this was a 220bhp petrol (the CHHB variant one borrowed from the Golf GTi) which is a lovely engine. I was less than impressed with the overall fit and finish of the Skoda, but it was passable. Leather was rubbish. Ended up selling it as I had too much cash tied up in it... sold via Motorway for £440 more than I paid for it 18 months previous. Crazy times!

I think Volvo do a 14 day 'trial' of the map. Might take advantage of that when everything else is dealt with.
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 13:58   #39
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Yes, Polestar offer a remap for the 2013/14 136bhp D3, which takes it up to the 163bhp that was standard in 2011! And they charge you a good whack for it too...

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 14:03   #40
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Definitely get the 163bhp upgrade if you - even more is better too :-)) Mine's running about 185bhp now and it pulls much better from low revs with a gentle remap.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote