Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting a dashcam

Views : 16263

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:22   #31
AB-UK
Premier Member

With all of the massive forces in play during an impact as seen in the numerous YouTube videos, I cannot image any flimsily attached micro usb connection proving to be an impediment.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:09   #32
Fliegenpilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I strongly object to health and safety gestapo inventing potential problems where none exist. I seldom let such nonsense pass.
Quacker, let leave it, at least we now have your writing here saying that potential problems DO NOT exist. Good Luck and thanks for your pragmatic input in trying to help other forum users with your advise....
Fliegenpilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:34   #33
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliegenpilz View Post
Quacker, let leave it, at least we now have your writing here saying that potential problems DO NOT exist. Good Luck and thanks for your pragmatic input in trying to help other forum users with your advise....
You are welcome and I hope that they take note of it and remain vigilant of real dangers but learn to recognise insignificant ones and ignore those that do not exist.

Last edited by Quacker; Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:36.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:47   #34
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Re references to front screen radar unit interference. Reading through a lot of posts there are a lot of people worried that it is signal interference that Volvo refer to, "my" interpretion of this is a physical interference i.e sticking something on the outside of the windscreen that will get in the way and block the signal physically not electrical or radio, wifi, or gps signal interference.
I would personally not worry at all about mounting a dashcam next to the radar unit on the inside of the screen and I do not think any part of the inside of the screen would interfere with the radar unit as it is behind its field of vision. But obviously you do not want anything stuck in other areas of the screen that will obsruct your vision.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:56   #35
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Re references to front screen radar unit interference. Reading through a lot of posts there are a lot of people worried that it is signal interference that Volvo refer to, "my" interpretion of this is a physical interference i.e sticking something on the outside of the windscreen that will get in the way and block the signal physically not electrical or radio, wifi, or gps signal interference.
I would personally not worry at all about mounting a dashcam next to the radar unit on the inside of the screen and I do not think any part of the inside of the screen would interfere with the radar unit as it is behind its field of vision. But obviously you do not want anything stuck in other areas of the screen that will obsruct your vision.
Mine is tight to the left side of the intellsafe housing at the top of the screen and streams to my phone via wi-fi. Everything works perfectly and has done since my dealer fitted it there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 10:17   #36
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTAKT View Post
All very useful information. I am considering getting the F800PRO dual channel camera and was wondering if the two cameras need to be physically connected or whether you can just wire the rear one to the fusebox in the boot?

Contemplating doing it myself rather than having a 'professional' install it as I will take more care in doing it.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

I've just ordered and received a Thinkware F770 which I think is the same family as the 800 PRO It arrived within 22.5 hours "Beast from the East" notwithstanding. The rear camera DOES have to be hard wired into the front one. The rear camera DOES NOT need it's own power supply.

Like you I intend to fit it myself as after a lifetime of DIY I don't have a great opinion of the Skill / care levels of many professionals.

I'm still debating whether to run the rear camera feed over the doors or under the carpets in some way. (having first checked the length of the cable) The rear camera connection is a mini USB so I could get an extension cable, signal degradation permitting.

The cameras are neat and feel well made. The front camera measures 110 x 60 x 30 and the rear one 60 x 30 dia. (mountings excluded).

Frank

V90
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 11:39   #37
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I've got mine fitted in the middle of the screen directly under the rear view mirror, being a small camera it is virtually hidden by the mirror.
Despite a warning from the dealer, it doesn't appear to affect the front radar functions.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 18:59   #38
Ducks

I've got the Goluk T3 and its a decent piece of kit. Hardwired in my A6 and Fiat 500.

The A6 is going soon so will be moving it into the S90. Has anyone hardwired it in to the fuse box?

I'm thinking left handside of the mirror as the mirror from what I remember comes quite low
Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 22:31   #39
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
I've got the Goluk T3 and its a decent piece of kit. Hardwired in my A6 and Fiat 500.

The A6 is going soon so will be moving it into the S90. Has anyone hardwired it in to the fuse box?

I'm thinking left handside of the mirror as the mirror from what I remember comes quite low
I've got the Goluk T3 in my Volvo as well. Super little camera. It is hardwired but the dealer did this one and it is wired into a fuse that turns off when the car's system switches off. I know that the T3 does go into parking mode if the ignition is kept alive for long enough, so keep wondering whether it would be OK, without draining the car battery over say three weeks without driving, if wired into a constant live? That way the camera would wake up only when something substantial moved in its field of view.

Certainly my daughter's Qashqai has a camera I wired into the [cigarette lighter] power socket which remains live constantly. She often forgets to unplug it when leaving the car and I don't think I've set it to activate park mode. Its a cheap Koenig camera. The point being that it has been constantly on for a week or more while the car was not used and the car battery has been fine.

I've just bought an Aukey front and rear combination linked camera set and I've a mind to use a hardwire kit to plumb that into a constant live. The main concern I have with this is that there are two cameras sucking power when its recording and some little power when its sleeping, so have some doubts about wiring it that way.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 14:10   #40
drive_a_legend

Am quite happy with my very oem-like dashcam which I bought express from a Chinese Ali...
Even is cheap. Easy peasy to install also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E10601E2-4988-4FFA-969A-A0A764BD9D0D.jpeg (61.0 KB, 59 views)
drive_a_legend is offline   Reply With Quote