Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Purge ...

Views : 11170

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2015, 19:53   #31
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut160 View Post
I have had a nightmare with my motor. Eventually had the DPF removed, but the mechanic said an issue with an injector recommended using forte to see if that would clean it up,but after reading the forum decided to get some LM DP
I have a 2006 185bhp. slightly different layout with the fuel pipes, but think I have worked it out.
however how to you get the pipe clips off the rubber hoses, cant work it out is there a special tool? I am not a mechanic but fairly practical. what did you use Shadeyman?
dont want to damage the rubber hoses.
jubilee clips would be so much easier.
If I cant do will just put the DP into the fuel filter holder but LM specifies using in a closed loop system so rather do it properly
Thanks in advance
I just cut them off using a large pair of wire cutters and replaced them with small jubilee clips which I have removed and reused twice now with no problems at all ...

Not worth doing if you don't do it the way they advise so take your time and do it the way they recommend ...
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 20:01   #32
hut160

Thanks all, that all makes sense.
Shadeyman where did you get your tubing from . looks quite chunky from your youtube video
A job for the weekend.
just hope it sorts out the injectors.
wife has just driven away to pick up my son and i noticed/smelt quite a bit of particulation from the exhaust, just like a good old fashioned diesel!
will let you all know how I get on
hut160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 20:12   #33
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Brought the tubing off eBay(I'm lazy) but any good car spares place will sell small bore silicone tubing ..
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 16:24   #34
hut160

ok so have connected tubes. removed rubber feed tube to high pressure pump and connected the feed there and connected the return feed to plastic 4 way spigott. Turn engine on and it wont fire. Have tried priming the feed hose with LM via a small funnel and still no joy. Do you have to keep cranking the engine over for a while? I must have turned her over 10 times. Dont want to run the battery flat.
I then reconnected fuel supply starts straight away
what am I doing wrong?
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 17:02   #35
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut160 View Post
ok so have connected tubes. removed rubber feed tube to high pressure pump and connected the feed there and connected the return feed to plastic 4 way spigott. Turn engine on and it wont fire. Have tried priming the feed hose with LM via a small funnel and still no joy. Do you have to keep cranking the engine over for a while? I must have turned her over 10 times. Dont want to run the battery flat.
I then reconnected fuel supply starts straight away
what am I doing wrong?
I've found the best way is to siphon the Diesel Purge and insert the feed as soon as the liquid comes through.
If you're using an inline filter (which you should) this must be fully primed with DP also.
I either keep my source of DP high or use a non return valve to stop any running back away from the HP pump.
If you have an air gap, it won't run.
It works when you reconnect everything to standard because your low pressure pump is pushing fuel towards the HP pump. You don't have the benefit of the low pressure pump when doing the purge so you need to sort of mimic it.
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 11:34   #36
hut160

I give up!
tried using a syphon to prime the HP pump with a fuel bulb, the tube filled with LM, still didnt work.
I am getting some diesel forte and just gonna bung it in the tank
I tried taking fuel filter case off -plastic type housing with a strap wrench but that was too tight and knowing my luck I would have broken the housing, so will ask my indy to do it for me!!

DIY isnt as easy as it sounds
Old Feb 8th, 2015, 13:19   #37
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

If anyone does manage to do this with the different 185 engine setup then please post an update!
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 19:11   #38
hut160

ok
so I thought I would not be defeated, so I got a diesel fuel pump inline filter connected this to the feed, return and still no go!
The pump pushed quite a bit of fuel without being connected ie I did this first recycling back into the jar.
when connected fuel does return but not at the same rate, more of a trickle, but a consistent flow.
I have attached a jpeg of where all is attached .
perhaps I am connecting it up wrong.
The feed definitely is going directly to the high pressure pump.
the return as you can see is on the 4 way spigott without the ring
,this arm of the spigott normally returns to the main fuel tank ,top right is the return from the HP pump,top left is return from the injectors and bottom left is return from the common rail.
So what am I doing wrong? I cant see connecting elsewhere will make a difference as the spigott is all connected and I am placing the return to the return to the fuel tank.
Before I admit defeat I thought I would ask
I presume I have connected properly
does the 185 not like neat LM DP?
any ideas?
Thanks
cheesed off from Bournemouth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.JPG (34.7 KB, 48 views)
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 22:03   #39
Shadeyman
VOC Member

That's a very low resolution picture, can you take a few higher resolution pics of how you have it piped and upload them. It looks to me like you have it piped incorrectly.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 22:48   #40
hut160

higher res image of same pic. have disconnected for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (176.4 KB, 44 views)