Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre noise ????????????????????????????

Views : 3554

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 23:37   #31
Carrizos

wor wor wor - thats the noise tiggers make if I remember correctly.

Mondeo did that to me once - very slightly warped disc.
Carrizos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 17:17   #32
ptf

Been to my tyre expert and he reackons its not tyre noise although could not guarantee. The tyres on the fronts are block and do make more noise than the grooved, but will be a constant noise..

He told me to go back to supplier and as they diagnosed the noise,tell them I am not happy and get them to change them.

Trouble is its an 80 mile round trip and which cost me fuel, work time and is very inconvenient. Anyway, I called my local dealer (doves) and basically they are taking it in for a quick wheel swap to see if the noise goes, but they are going to have to charge me half hour labour for the priviledge,but if its not the cause then there will (apparantly) be no charge as it will then become a warranty issue, if it is tyres then I will contact the supplier and tell them I want two new tyres and re imbursment of the labour charge from Doves. How I will get on I dont know,but got to do something as its driving me mad, and need to find an answere as have a 1200 mile round trip to France over easter.
What could be the complication is that the supplying dealer say they could not hear any noise as I described.
ptf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 17:44   #33
Carrizos

Always best to have matching tyres front and back if possible. Good luck with the noise. On a different vehicle a few years ago I changed my BFG Mud terrain tyres around front to back and the van sounded totally different. There had been a ululating drone that it cured - I guess a bit like a guitar string that is slightly off pitch you can get that with any resonance.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 18:21   #34
ptf

The cars not due to go in until end of next week, so if I can borrow a trolly jack of my neighbour i may try this over the weekend as the tyres in question have a good tread depth on them so dont really need replacing.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 16:07   #35
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptf View Post
Been to my local dealer with the noise I have posted about (see thread new car, new noise) they also cannot find anything that could be the cause apart from tyre noise. The two front tyres do have a strange, very chunky tread, apparently made my MAX. could this really be then cause of the noise. I have also read on here somewhere, not in xc90 forum, but a v40 I think that there has been a wheel bearing type noise and it turns out tracking was not quite as it should be. The two rear tyres are brand new, and it seems that its the fronts that are causing this noise. I dont want to fork out for new front tyres just yet aS they have around 5 - 6 mm tread,but if it drives my wife mad then may have to, but then if its not, then two tyres have gone to waste and my wallet takes another bashing.
Not sure what year you have, but Haldax don't recomend using mismatched tyres as the Haldax units arn't designed to cope with that and it could cause damage to the AWD system.

I'd ebay two of them and replace with tyre that matching the remaining ones. You should get a good price for them on ebay.

If it's pre 2006 it might be a wheel bearing if they've never been replaced for the redesigned ones.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 21:10   #36
Carrizos

I wish I had used a camera to record the noise mine was making, do you have a camera or a phone that can record decent audio?

It would be good to have a recording of what an XC90 should sound like on here as well.

Mine has been away since Tuesday I hope it is back soon although I am enjoying the economy of the S60 curtesy car, it goes like s off a shovel - amazing for a diesel I am wondering if it has had a remap. 2wd is very skittery on wet surface take off though.

Last edited by Carrizos; Mar 10th, 2012 at 21:15. Reason: forgot to say something
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 07:31   #37
ptf

Just thought I would update. I took all the wheels off, had a good look at all I could see, nothing obvious, and swapped the back for the fronts.
Fingers crossed but the noise seems to be gone. Took it for a long drive, with my wife, on different surfaces etc, and consider we were listening for it, and before it was audible even when talking, I am hoping its cured. I have carried out some research, as you can imagine, and I came across a tyre problem called sawtooth, and it looked like my front right had this. Could be wrong,but the noise has gone, at least from the front.
Its still booked in my local Volvo so will leave it until I am sure its gone, but its also booked in the suppling dealer in two weeks time. I have told them that if it is tyre noise then I wanted the tyres replaced as I was not happy with a car that cost £26500 and made such a noise. I am still thinking I should go down this route. Thoughts please
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 07:40   #38
Carrizos

yes go for it is my opinion. Sawtooth is usually due to an alignment problem and the good tyres that you have put where the sawtooth ones were will prob develop the same condition whereas the sawtooth ones you moved may well wear smoother after a while...get them to do an alignment of all 4 wheels.

Last edited by Carrizos; Mar 12th, 2012 at 07:41. Reason: added suggestion to get alignment checked
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 16:27   #39
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I can recommend my tyre fitter. He knows his stuff, and is honest. He mainly does tyres and alignment, but also servicing too so he maybe able to help.

MTMC Tonbridge, ask for Harry.

http://www.mtmctyres.co.uk/
Make sure it's laser alignment. I'd also recommend MTMC in Tonbridge.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 12:30   #40
wadhurstdaisy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Make sure it's laser alignment. I'd also recommend MTMC in Tonbridge.
Another vote from me for Harry, call him on 01732-369888, he really does know his stuff.
wadhurstdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wadhurstdaisy For This Useful Post: