Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TCV boost pressure solenoid

Views : 7087

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2023, 22:14   #31
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacultureman View Post
Thanks Iain. Bit clueless here, so just T in at that point, take it for a drive and watch the pressure? What PSI should it go to and stay at approximately if the pressures fine? Also where would you recommend wiring the guage into?

Basically, yes.however the gauge doesn't need wiring, it works purely on pressure / vacuum via the t'd in pipe

Think it is about 20" of vacuum. will plug mine in tomorrow and check. I would be tempted just to leave it plugged in until you have a problem, The pipe will just come out the top of the bonnet and should come into the car through the door seal. When the problem occurs see if there is still full vacuum.
However I found my problem just by moving all the pipes and joints with the engine running with the bonnet open. Worth trying first.
Will take a picture of mine connected and with a vacuum reading and post tomorrow.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 09:27   #32
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Photos as promised
Vacuum is just over 20"
I connected in the T piece, pipe and vacuum gauge just after the little non return valve.
Took 5 mins in total
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9321.jpg (252.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9322.jpg (251.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9323.jpg (275.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by IainG; Mar 30th, 2023 at 09:30.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 13:04   #33
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
Photos as promised
Vacuum is just over 20"
I connected in the T piece, pipe and vacuum gauge just after the little non return valve.
Took 5 mins in total
Iain. Really appreciate your efforts here.So did you have to cut the pipe to fit the T joint? conscience that I may need to join it up again using the correct straight joiner afterwards, so would need to know which length and width to get. Or possibly replace the pipe
aquacultureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 14:30   #34
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Iain. Really appreciate your efforts here.So did you have to cut the pipe to fit the T joint? conscience that I may need to join it up again using the correct straight joiner afterwards, so would need to know which length and width to get. Or possibly replace the pipe
No just separate at the non return valve and insert pipe as in the photo then pipe connects back as normal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF2C0B86-5DBF-4DBD-B6C1-476720FA5716.jpg (212.9 KB, 9 views)
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 18:09   #35
aquacultureman

Quote:
Hi

No just separate at the non return valve and insert pipe as in the photo then pipe connects back as normal
Iain. Many thanks for your assistance. About to order a pressure gauge. Will update here very soon after testing.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 18:16   #36
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Iain. Many thanks for your assistance. About to order a pressure gauge. Will update here very soon after testing.
Not a pressure gauge but a gauge that will read vacuum
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 18:18   #37
aquacultureman

Quote:
Hi

Not a pressure gauge but a gauge that will read vacuum
Sorry vacuum gauge - Gunnsen - new old stock, same as yours
The Following User Says Thank You to aquacultureman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 17:16   #38
aquacultureman

Quote:
Sorry vacuum gauge - Gunnsen - new old stock, same as yours
So now Ive spotted a crack in the intercooler pipe, have ordered a new one, and getting it fitted this Friday. All good except for one thing - now I getting a warning light saying - 'power system service urgent' accompanied by the battery light on!! Does anyone think this related to the vacuum leak problems Ive been having so far? Im absolutely at a loss with this car. Could it be the alternator packing in?

Last edited by aquacultureman; Apr 5th, 2023 at 17:26.
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 19:06   #39
Simmy
Premier Member

alternators are a known problem on these cars attempting to start with a low battery condition can lead to srs codes to be generated and can be difficult to remove. make sure the battery is fully charged and is in good condition low voltages will cause all kinds of faults to be flagged that will lead you to think more things are at fault than there are. tcvs switch in and out and will need a full signal to talk with the ecu .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 20:16   #40
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
alternators are a known problem on these cars attempting to start with a low battery condition can lead to srs codes to be generated and can be difficult to remove. make sure the battery is fully charged and is in good condition low voltages will cause all kinds of faults to be flagged that will lead you to think more things are at fault than there are. tcvs switch in and out and will need a full signal to talk with the ecu .
Hello Simmy.
The battery is less than 6 months old, so should be good. A multimeter voltage test showed no charge increase to the battery after starting and revs, so strongly suspect the alternator is indeed giving up. Local mechanic says the same. Its just bad luck Im afaid. Do I need to tell the car that Ive fitted a new alternator?

I aim to finish this post soon with good news I hope!

Last edited by aquacultureman; Apr 5th, 2023 at 20:44.