Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav Fault - Help Needed

Views : 6755

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2019, 22:13   #31
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Compare the MK4025GAS with the MK4050GAS:

4025 cannot withstand the same shock as the 4050: 190G vs 300G shock.

Also, the 4025 is rated for +5°C to +55°C, the 4050 is rated for -30°C to +85°C

So you see looking purely at the shock handling capabilities, the 4025 is nowhere near as robust as the 4050.
And it certainly cannot handle the same temperature range as the 4050.
I myself have started by car at -15°C, and expected the nav to work, and it has, flawlessly.
If a 4025 was fitted, it likely would not work at -15°C, being 20°C lower than it's rated minimum operating temperature.

Anything automotive grade must handle high shock and vibration, and extreme temperatures.

I would NOT recommend you fit a 4025 HDD.
You will never experience 190g or even a quarter of that. If you do then you will be dead (very).
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 06:15   #32
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You will never experience 190g or even a quarter of that. If you do then you will be dead (very).
I was was quoting the specifications so that the reader can understand the difference between consumer grade and automotive grade.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:44   #33
chenry

Curious as to why so much time and effort being spent on getting the built-in SatNav up and working. As soon as I saw you had to control it with a remote control, the price of the updates and them being way out of date, I found out how to lower ours and used a Garmin instead.

Is the Volvo one worth the extra effort? I appreciate it might lower the music when making announcements, but it seems a lot of work to get it working and still have a hard to use, out of date system.

No disrespect intended, just genuinely curious.

- Colin
chenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:10   #34
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Everybody is different
I value built in integrated tech that works perfectly with the car.
Other people may not.
My maps are up to date.

I also have a portable TomTom.
The TomTom has its failings.
Every nav does.
My TomTom requires mucking about with power and cables.
It’s screen is not as clear.
I cannot operate it from the steering wheel

And in my view a totally integrated nav has less failings than my TomTom.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:41   #35
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
As soon as I saw you had to control it with a remote control
You control it with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel....
or the remote if you want a passenger to play with it
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:29   #36
Odysseus

I share the view of many on here that it’s nice to have the original equipment working as designed, and with up to date maps there’s really not much wrong with built in nav, even if the graphics are a bit retro.

In the spirit of curiosity though, I’m intrigued as to why anyone buys a dedicated nav device (Garmin, TomTom, et al) in this day and age, when the maps on your phone are almost certainly more accurate, traffic information is second to none, and the screens are such high resolution. I’m sure there are reasons but I can’t think of any. 🙂
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:04   #37
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
In the spirit of curiosity though, I’m intrigued as to why anyone buys a dedicated nav device (Garmin, TomTom, et al) in this day and age, when the maps on your phone are almost certainly more accurate, traffic information is second to none, and the screens are such high resolution. I’m sure there are reasons but I can’t think of any. 🙂
I bought my TomTom for one purpose only: for use in rental cars in other countries when on holiday.

Roaming costs for data connections to my phone are really expensive in some countries, and I also did not want to be "online" when on holidays.
So the phone stays off, and the TomTom is used to get me around the country in the rental car.

And I rent budget rentals cars where you are lucky to have a working radio... let alone a built-in nav...
Old May 10th, 2019, 17:19   #38
chenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Agreed. Initially we bought ours as we had cars that didn't have a SatNav, phones weren't great and roaming charges were expensive. Wife's from Italy and we go there a lot, so a portable SatNav we could pop into the hire car made a lot of sense. If we had the tech/roaming charges then that we have today, we'd have used our phones.

Just to say, I'm not against using built-in systems, if it's good. My Evoque's satnav is great, the wife's Abarth system is very good, plus it has Apple Car Play, so we use them.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

- Colin
chenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:49   #39
Brilliant Eclipse

Hello Folks, I have run the diagnostic and noticed two significant changes:

1. There is no longer a clicking sound from the multi-media unit.

2. Diagnostic menu 2.1 (attached picture). The HDD had previously shown as 'NG'. This now shows 'OK'.

When I boot the system it still says that it cannot read the HDD but I presume this is because the HDD is blank. Even with the DVD disc inserted, the Sat Nav does not automatically try to reset or update the maps so I think it needs to be forced to do so.

So, the next questions are, how do I initialise the new HDD and then install the maps again ? The only relevant options on the diagnostic menu look like the ones on menu 3.7 HDD Information (attached picture). Which option do you think I should use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_1 Circuit Check.jpg (247.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 3_7 HDD Info 2.jpg (276.7 KB, 11 views)
Brilliant Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 07:06   #40
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Good to here you have made some progress and that the HDD does not report error any more.
The next stage is unknown ground for all of us:

Can the HDD actually be forced to update from the DVD?

Or does the HDD need to be formatted first from some master system?

We do not know what file system it uses, we do not know if it needs formatting first. Is it RAW, FAT, NTFS, EXFAT, EXT??
I am guessing FAT32, but that is a guess.
Highly unlikely to be NTFS as that is a Microsoft Windows format and unlikely that they licenced it to the nav manufacturers.

One thing to try is in menu 3.7 HDD Information > (d) HDD Update > Exceute

No promises, no idea what will happen.

You will of course need the DVD disks to insert into the DVD drive.