Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S W Autos & The Mouthy Blonde

Views : 9293

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 22:11   #31
adieu
Master Member

Default Even

My car only made 195Bhp with 219Ilbs/ft @ 4495. But this is a map allowing me to run only 1.1 bar just to be on the safe side and don't forget I have an auto.

This is with bigger Turbo (T28 Garrett) and 2.5 exhaust cat back.

My car as standard with a rica map only made only : 173bhp @ 6400

340/310/280 yawn heard it all before........and never seen it happen.

Regards

Iain
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:12   #32
Aeroresh

Just to reiterate!

I never once mentioned my own car, I was asking a simple question of why go to the apparent expense of changing turbos, etc when a map would do the same job for less money. Stuart has now said that in this case it worked out cheaper than a map. End of story.

Im not here to justify myself nor my car to anyone, I was merely asking a valid question related to the thread which certain others have tried to turn around to suit their own agendas IMO. If anyone's got a problem with this, please pm me rather than boring everyone else and taking up space on the board. Rant over, Im off to have some brecky!
Aeroresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:07   #33
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroresh
Just to reiterate!

I never once mentioned my own car, I was asking a simple question of why go to the apparent expense of changing turbos, etc when a map would do the same job for less money. Stuart has now said that in this case it worked out cheaper than a map. End of story.

Im not here to justify myself nor my car to anyone, I was merely asking a valid question related to the thread which certain others have tried to turn around to suit their own agendas IMO. If anyone's got a problem with this, please pm me rather than boring everyone else and taking up space on the board. Rant over, Im off to have some brecky!
Hi aeroresh,

we were just using your car to try and higlight the fact that you wont get 304 from a chip or 340 from a 19t. Im sure you were sold you 19t as a 340bhp product, and i have given proof that this isnt true - just backing up the fact that julies gains are very good.

your believing rica's claims of 304 from just upping the boost, so yes if you believe that then 288bhp isnt very good with a bigger turbo and exhaust.

but as has been seen, chips alone (whatever make) will only give 260-270 bhp. so 288bhp on a std ecu is good dont you think.

just out of interest aeroresh, what sort of power do you think your car is making?

Last edited by bobcat; Feb 20th, 2006 at 10:10.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:24   #34
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70
I think my 19T and RICA made 265bhp at the crank at PE.

Aeroesh, would be interesting to see what figures you can bag on the PE dyno - just for comparison

Chris
Hi.
265BHP at the crank?? With a 19T and a RICA map?
There must have been something very wrong with your car then.... ?
My C70 (with 16T) made 282BHP at PE with just the RICA and a cat back.
Not 310 admittedly, but 265 is *very* low for that spec.

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:39   #35
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Hi aeroresh,

but as has been seen, chips alone (whatever make) will only give 260-270 bhp. so 288bhp on a std ecu is good dont you think.

Hi.
Ok then, if my ECU map only gave a max of 270 then that means my cat back alone was responsible for 12BHP!!
Given that almost everyone agrees that a cat back makes almost zero difference, then I must have a magic one, or in fact, it *does* make a lot of difference.
Please discuss.
Oh, and 288 is good!, but even though the ECU is standard, it is not a standard setup, so it is cheating a 'bit'. 288 would not be possible with 'tweaks' and a 15G turbo. The ECU can compensate for climate etc, and it is compensating for a more efficient turbo (in this case) which is going a long way to helping obtain that figure.
Makes you wonder why Volvo didn't make 'em like this in the first place. Actually thinking about it, I can answer my own question, Volvo wanted them to last and so 'underpowered them'.
Later,
Dan.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:00   #36
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi.
Ok then, if my ECU map only gave a max of 270 then that means my cat back alone was responsible for 12BHP!!
Given that almost everyone agrees that a cat back makes almost zero difference, then I must have a magic one, or in fact, it *does* make a lot of difference.
Please discuss.
Oh, and 288 is good!, but even though the ECU is standard, it is not a standard setup, so it is cheating a 'bit'. 288 would not be possible with 'tweaks' and a 15G turbo. The ECU can compensate for climate etc, and it is compensating for a more efficient turbo (in this case) which is going a long way to helping obtain that figure.
Makes you wonder why Volvo didn't make 'em like this in the first place. Actually thinking about it, I can answer my own question, Volvo wanted them to last and so 'underpowered them'.
Later,
Dan.
Hi dan,

what year is your c70? does it have the vvt?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:14   #37
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Hi aeroresh,

your believing rica's claims of 304 from just upping the boost,

Bobcat,

I would be a living genius if I could (safely) get 304 bhp out of an old 850 simply by 'upping the boost'! Rest assured our remap doesn't just up the boost we also alter the ignition and fuelling to suit.

Best Regards,
Hamish.
Chip Tuning Ltd.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:15   #38
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Bobcat.
MY2000 and it does have VVT on the exhaust side, but as we know that is for cold engine emissions regs only, no power benefit.
Also I believe Chris's is ME7 VVT, but his made a very low figure...
Cheers,
Dan.

Last edited by Dan F; Feb 20th, 2006 at 12:18.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:34   #39
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Bobcat.
MY2000 and it does have VVT on the exhaust side, but as we know that is for cold engine emissions regs only, no power benefit.
Also I believe Chris's is ME7 VVT, but his made a very low figure...
Cheers,
Dan.
i dunno, i remeber when i went to santa pod and a few t5's (rica'ed) came down in convoy. there was a c70 with vvt and apparently it was leaving the non vvt's behind when they were playing on the motorway.

im not sure if chris's power issue's were down to the fact that his 19t was hanging off - but we wont go there again.

so your power figure is also very good dan, still a bit short of 310 (maybe you have a boost leak?!!), but you do have the newer engine and doesnt your 16t have the angled dp?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:52   #40
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Bobcat.
I believe any ME7 turbo'd car had a turbo with the angled flange on the turbine side regardless of turbo size.
No, no boost leak, lol. My car has always been a 'good one' though.
Oh *and* it is red, so that makes it faster anyway.

Later,
Dan.