Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2042279

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 15:55   #3641
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Alan,

You've just been too efficient Alan, much unlike myself, (I still have a long list of jobs to do) but I'm sure a replacement project is just a few minutes away 'browsing' online, either 2 or 4 wheels would be good to keep you entertained, in between Bob walking duties of course😀

I think you'd touched on the subject of why old Volvos are now 'cool' with the kids, and prices. Nov issue of Practical Classics and market watch has a very good article about the author attending the Festival Of Unexceptional, and seems old Volvos are indeed the height of cool😀

Don't know if it will work but photo of said article hopefully attached.

Cheers
Stev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3346.jpg (220.1 KB, 6 views)
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 16:03   #3642
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

You've just been too efficient Alan, much unlike myself, (I still have a long list of jobs to do) but I'm sure a replacement project is just a few minutes away 'browsing' online, either 2 or 4 wheels would be good to keep you entertained, in between Bob walking duties of course😀

I think you'd touched on the subject of why old Volvos are now 'cool' with the kids, and prices. Nov issue of Practical Classics and market watch has a very good article about the author attending the Festival Of Unexceptional, and seems old Volvos are indeed the height of cool😀

Cheers
Stev
I’ve had some “ cool car”, comments, one from a young wench in a tricked up Golf.

Nice!😁
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 16:07   #3643
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

Cheers
Stev
I've taken the liberty of rotating the article so I can read it without laying down Steve:

Last edited by Othen; Nov 2nd, 2022 at 16:10.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 18:05   #3644
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I’ve had some “ cool car”, comments, one from a young wench in a tricked up Golf.

Nice!😁
Better that than comments from a tricked wench in a young Golf!

I know what you mean though Steve, i've had very few direct comments but overheard many, most of which are along the lines of "can't go wrong with an old Volvo" and similar.

As for them being the height of cool at the moment does that mean "we iz all down wid da kyds"?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 18:18   #3645
Moomoo
VOC Member

Well PHAT innit!⚡️
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 18:38   #3646
Steve 940
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Othen;2854749]I've taken the liberty of rotating the article so I can read it without laying down Steve:

QUOTE]

Much improved, a man of many talents!! 👍👍

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 06:04   #3647
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Better that than comments from a tricked wench in a young Golf!

I know what you mean though Steve, i've had very few direct comments but overheard many, most of which are along the lines of "can't go wrong with an old Volvo" and similar.

As for them being the height of cool at the moment does that mean "we iz all down wid da kyds"?
... perhaps I'll get a couple of tattoos and buy a hoodie..

Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 06:43   #3648
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've never owned a car that gets more comments than my 940, last week a group of yoovs wiv 'oods up shouted "cool old car" as I was sat next to them at the lights, I think they liked my bad boy ting exhaust 😂
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 07:22   #3649
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've never owned a car that gets more comments than my 940, last week a group of yoovs wiv 'oods up shouted "cool old car" as I was sat next to them at the lights, I think they liked my bad boy ting exhaust 😂
I'm not sure about the Barge Luke, but I'd say the approval rating for Great Aunt Maud is enormously high amongst all age groups. Last evening I bumped into one of the 6th formers from a local school where I'm a governor. He said he had been out for a driving lesson with his dad and they had seen me in GAM. The dad remarked to him what a lovely old car it was; the lad was was delighted to impress his father by telling him he knew the owner from school and that it was a 1963 Amazon and so on.

:-)
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 08:42   #3650
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Best way to see if it is now too lean is to put it on the CO meter. Also have you checked the PCV system? Unless you've cleaned it in the past 2 months, it's worth checking just to ensure all the various parts are clean and clear.
I'm about 95% sure I've fixed the issue by modifying the constant air temperature device Dave. I've tuned it by ear and checked the plug colour after a 20 mile run. I agree though: the only way of testing and adjusting properly is with a CO meter, so I've treated myself to one. It is a Gunson G4125, new and should be here early next week.

As I think I mentioned, F1 would let me use their gas analyser during a quiet period next week, but I don't mind investing in tools that I will use again; this one will also be useful for the Amazon and my two motorcycles.

:-)