Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2044674

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2022, 07:01   #3571
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The project aim is much the same as the RB: I am not going to restore the motor car (and it doesn't need restoring), I'll just do all the service jobs it may have lacked in the 33 year gap in its history) - all the usual stuff (before anyone reminds me - I already have a cam belt waiting to be fitted) plus a bit more: I'll probably change the front seals, hushers and check the valve clearances. Once I'm happy it is sorted and running well I may do a few improvements. I thought an electric fan (as worked so well with the RB), plus electronic ignition (the points replacement type by Powespark) would be sensible things to do. After that I'll get a new MoT and see if anything more comes to light; the budget might be something like £500 until the time the motor car becomes an historic vehicle. No Luke, you may not have RB2 to fit a turbocharger.

Overall OP BARGE has (I think) been a success. The RB has been a good project for nearly 3 years but went as far as I wanted to take it. The motor car has a good new owner. Bob and I had a nice (but tiring) 2 day adventure, and RB2 is home and will be a good project for me for the next year or so.

I changed the insurance from the RB to RB2 and it only cost about £45 (half of which was an administrative charge). I'll have to tax RB2 for a while, but that is okay.

:-)
Quote:
Well, that is the last job from the project list ticked off (less checking the valve clearances that I've shelved for the time being): I fitted the electronic points today...

So, that is the project finished... of course it isn't!

I checked the project costs spreadsheet - the total has been £409, so that was well within the budget I'd given myself (about £500). The only problem is I was going to do the work over a year - and I've finished in a month; what will I do now?

Last edited by Othen; Oct 1st, 2022 at 07:11. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:07   #3572
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I checked the project costs spreadsheet - the total has been £409, so that was well within the budget I'd given myself (about £500). The only problem is I was going to do the work over a year - and I've finished in a month; what will I do now?

Well you missed that 765 GLE bargain.

That needed at least a week’s attention!
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:20   #3573
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Well you missed that 765 GLE bargain.

That needed at least a week’s attention!
Did you mean the 265 GLE that sold for £5,200? I thought that was quite amazing - I have no idea how the new owner will break even on that one.

Hardly anyone ever makes money on doing up old motor cars, but if I get a little past the break-even point with the Barge by the time it is registered as an historic vehicle, and with GAM I'll be fairly content (same as the RB).

The Barge is a nice car to drive, so I'll just enjoy that for the next 17 months.

Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:29   #3574
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Did you mean the 265 GLE that sold for £5,200? I thought that was quite amazing - I have no idea how the new owner will break even on that one.

Hardly anyone ever makes money on doing up old motor cars, but if I get a little past the break-even point with the Barge by the time it is registered as an historic vehicle, and with GAM I'll be fairly content (same as the RB).

The Barge is a nice car to drive, so I'll just enjoy that for the next 17 months.

Yes Alan, 265 , sorry.

No brass to be made there, for sure!

I could spend hours just looking at the Barge, I was taken with it from day one!🥰
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 08:43   #3575
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Yes Alan, 265 , sorry.

No brass to be made there, for sure!

I could spend hours just looking at the Barge, I was taken with it from day one!🥰
Will you be attending the Trent Valley meeting on Sunday week Andrew (I've sent you the details)? If so I may drive up in the Barge.
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 10:39   #3576
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

... and the Barge is a really nice motor car to drive now that it is 'finished':

I was pleased to find that the heated seats still work this morn (I'm guessing they are thermostatically controlled because I can't find any switches for them). The £15 Chinese radio enhances the driving experience enormously - 1980s MW in glorious mono really was... rubbish.

I really enjoyed my little excursion around leafy Northamptonshire this morn.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 1st, 2022 at 10:59.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 14:05   #3577
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
I was pleased to find that the heated seats still work this morn (I'm guessing they are thermostatically controlled because I can't find any switches for them).
There should be switches for the seats Alan. Nothing down by the handbrake lever?

regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 16:12   #3578
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
There should be switches for the seats Alan. Nothing down by the handbrake lever?

regards
Lucien
Many thanks Lucien,

I've done some research this afternoon and the 1983 sales brochure tells me that only the driver's seat is heated (that was rather parsimonious of Mr Volvo back in 1983), it adds:
"The seat cushion and back-rest are electrically heated; the element switches on automatically at temperatures below 14C."
I've just had a look at the motor car and confirmed only the driver's seat is heated, the wiring appears to be original and disappears under the carpet at the front of the seat - I'm guessing it heads towards a sensor and thermostatic switch. I can find the driver's seat elements on the wiring diagram, but not an isolating switch, so perhaps the thermostatic control is built into the driver's seat?

The passenger's seat heater seems to be an optional extra as it appears in an additional box in the wiring diagram, but the Barge does not have that fitted.

The moulding around the handbrake does have two cut-outs for the standard Volvo 240 type switch blanks, but there appears to be no switch wiring contained therein (and the wiring to the driver's seat appears to be original and unaltered).

I'm pleased that the heated driver's seat works (I'm guessing up to 14C, it must have been cold enough to activate it this morn), but a little surprised there appears to be no isolating switch.

It would appear to be the standard set up, as Mr Volvo intended, so I suppose I leave it as it is. By chance I do have a spare heated seat switch from a later Volvo (acquired for the RB project) and it would be a simple matter to wire it in series with the driver's seat heater, but I think that would detract from the Barge's originality.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 1st, 2022 at 16:18. Reason: Grammar.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 16:58   #3579
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:

I've done some research this afternoon and the 1983 sales brochure tells me that only the driver's seat is heated (that was rather parsimonious of Mr Volvo back in 1983), it adds:
"The seat cushion and back-rest are electrically heated; the element switches on automatically at temperatures below 14C."
Well, there's something new to me, and I'm sure you're right. I took my driving test in a red Y registered 1983 245DL, in January, but I don't recall whether it had a switch for the seat heaters. I do remember the examiner climbing in and saying "you're brave taking your test in this, it must be like driving a fire engine!".

regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 18:33   #3580
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
Well, there's something new to me, and I'm sure you're right. I took my driving test in a red Y registered 1983 245DL, in January, but I don't recall whether it had a switch for the seat heaters. I do remember the examiner climbing in and saying "you're brave taking your test in this, it must be like driving a fire engine!".

regards
Lucien
A wonderful story Lucien.

I’m still slightly hoping someone corrects me and tells me there is a switch hidden away somewhere :-)

Alan