Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 77683

Replies : 1373

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2023, 23:23   #341
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I'm not so sure...

The price of petrol is entirely artificial - it fluctuates to control demand but the supply level is set by the oil producers themselves (Opec etc.) There has always been a belief that one day we will run out of oil but we keep finding it and despite global demand being high - there's no sign of it running out yet. Controversially fracking is helping with that. The actual cost of petrol is so much less than we pay at the pump - this is why oil companies are posting record profits but in reality it is not something they created entirely on their own.

There will always be petrol and diesel as we need to extract oil for so many other reasons, chemicals, medicines, plastics, fabrics, glues, sealants, hoses, etc. something the Just Stop Oil and Stinky Rebellion movements seem too dumb to recognise. And developing countries need oil, they're going through all of the development we did in the last 70 years except we called it progress and now some of us would criticise them.

One of the most stupid things in the UK that I cannot get my head around is the wholesale price of electricity is directly linked to the wholesale price of gas as that is the single biggest source. Again, it's purely ariticial, the cost of energy from nuclear and renewables (solar, wind) has not risen significantly in recent years - it's just that someone decided we were going to limit how much we made, close down powerstations, and increase the price to limit that demand so supply wasn't exceeded.

*sigh*
I don't think it's going to be many decades before the only people with petrol-powered cars are going to be weirdbeard old enthusiasts like myself.

Diesel powered cars will've gone the way of the dodo, as the only positive to them is fuel-economy & all the tax-breaks previously afforded to diesel will have evaporated.

That's going to mean a massively smaller number of petrol stations, the current number couldn't hope to all compete when you only have 20% of the customer-base. And once the vast majority of petrol stations disappear, that's going to introduce a bit of a monopoly among the few that exist. So while you currently drive past a petrol station on the way to where you're going or on the way home, you'll have to go out of your way to find one, and once you get there it's going to have a Monopoly Levy attached to the price.

I actually think it's going to smack the values of classic cars firmly in the nose with a rolled-up newspaper, too. People buy a Ferrari 288GTO because they can conceptually use it whenever they want ... as that concept goes away, I think it'll erode the value of such things.

I'm not painting a particularly fun picture of the future of Things Automotive. I guess it's better than everyone dying out due to famine, but I suspect the peak of enjoying cars is behind us.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 23:29   #342
Dan1971

The Ferrari owners won't care about the price of the fuel ....
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 09:02   #343
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
I don't think it's going to be many decades before the only people with petrol-powered cars are going to be weirdbeard old enthusiasts like myself.

Diesel powered cars will've gone the way of the dodo, as the only positive to them is fuel-economy & all the tax-breaks previously afforded to diesel will have evaporated.

That's going to mean a massively smaller number of petrol stations, the current number couldn't hope to all compete when you only have 20% of the customer-base. And once the vast majority of petrol stations disappear, that's going to introduce a bit of a monopoly among the few that exist. So while you currently drive past a petrol station on the way to where you're going or on the way home, you'll have to go out of your way to find one, and once you get there it's going to have a Monopoly Levy attached to the price.

I actually think it's going to smack the values of classic cars firmly in the nose with a rolled-up newspaper, too. People buy a Ferrari 288GTO because they can conceptually use it whenever they want ... as that concept goes away, I think it'll erode the value of such things.

I'm not painting a particularly fun picture of the future of Things Automotive. I guess it's better than everyone dying out due to famine, but I suspect the peak of enjoying cars is behind us.
Don’t agree with much of that.

Diesels have many advantages over petrol which is why they became so popular and machinery (tractors, big lawn mowers, excavators) will always be diesel powered. Diesels are less harmful to the planet, it’s just over crowded city centres where they have become unpopular.

And when we get to the point when the demand for motor fuel falls significantly, so will the price.

Classic car prices likely to remain high, especially now you can buy a Cortina or a Montego and drive through London without paying the ulez….
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Feb 12th, 2023 at 09:06.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 13:33   #344
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...NTExNy4wLjAuMA..

Latest "media" report.

This one below is for our friend who has the FE Victor in his signature cos he's a good egg imo.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/motori...ty-garage.html

And just like that he was gone again.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 14:24   #345
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Very interesting, in a market increasing by 14.5% overall petrol car sales soared by 14.5% while Battery Electric vehicles struggled with a near 20% increase in sales, hybrid electrics went up by paltry 40%, yeah no one is buying this electric stuff any more.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 15:53   #346
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
Although I'm out in the sticks I do have new neighbours who have already complained about the cobbles on the cobbled lane,the 'rural' nature of the rural setting and even how dark it is at night - I have no doubt, should legislation be brought out controlling woodburners, a whiff of smoke will see them complaining to the 'powers that be' in righteous indignation.
Fingers crossed they will embrace the rural lifestyle and the simple joys of things that we take for granted not having to live with immediate neighbours. Plus, if you're burning good wood, you're sorted anyway.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 19:07   #347
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Very interesting, in a market increasing by 14.5% overall petrol car sales soared by 14.5% while Battery Electric vehicles struggled with a near 20% increase in sales, hybrid electrics went up by paltry 40%, yeah no one is buying this electric stuff any more.
I didn't write it I only linked it and added "" to describe the media.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 19:23   #348
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
I didn't write it I only linked it and added "" to describe the media.
No you just read the Daily Wail headline and thought it backed your position so posted it without actually reading the content? So now you have had the big sums explained to you do you now accept that pure Evs and hybrids is a growing market?
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 20:15   #349
GMcL
0's and 1's

230212ElectricityGenDE.jpg

Based on carbon emissions today and the average consumption of our EV over the last month I'm not sure EVs are going to provide the answer.

1152g/kWh equivalent works out at 181g/km for our usage. My twelve year old diesel is rated at 139g/km.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 21:30   #350
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
No you just read the Daily Wail headline and thought it backed your position so posted it without actually reading the content? So now you have had the big sums explained to you do you now accept that pure Evs and hybrids is a growing market?
I actually posted it for 2 reasons.

1 - To give everybody a look at what the papers say and to carry on debating about it.

2 - I have also on purpose avoided the site for a few days to test a theory, the theory is if I vanish so do you, if I return you re-appear just like I said a few pages back.

Anyway, as I mentioned last week I'm on the move so we're packing the flat up ready for the van this week as we have a 50 odd mile jump to make so with that I bid you farewell and also my best wishes and hope that the childish way both you and I and a couple of others have been acting can now stop, I really can't ever remember you ever admitting to being wrong about a single topic that's been discussed here and that is telling to me as whenever I've interacted with others like that it's usually best to not try anymore, it could also be the nature of the net where what's typed doesn't read as intended, who knows, anyway as EC says, peace etc xx.

Last edited by SnineT; Feb 12th, 2023 at 21:32.