Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 78023

Replies : 1373

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2023, 19:21   #331
GMcL
0's and 1's

Out of interest were those numbers for new direct injection petrol engines or older ?
I know the NOx numbers for direct injection petrol are comparable with equivalent Euro VI diesel. My last two petrol (direct injection) engines have had particle filters which were introduced on diesel for Euro IV.

Skoda have just announced engines for Euro VII something previously thought would not happen.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 20:07   #332
John97Tdi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Out of interest were those numbers for new direct injection petrol engines or older ?
I know the NOx numbers for direct injection petrol are comparable with equivalent Euro VI diesel. My last two petrol (direct injection) engines have had particle filters which were introduced on diesel for Euro IV.

Skoda have just announced engines for Euro VII something previously thought would not happen.
It was from an old environmental health book so was a fairly dated and generic figure,- I'm sure more recent ( and probably more accurate)figures are available online. I thought my '06 XC70 with Euro 4 D5 would soon become a liability with local clean air schemes( currently being re-evaluated) but I do have other 'pollution' concerns at present. My sole method of home heating, a wood burning stove that also does the central heating is now being widely vilified as the spawn of Satan in respect of air pollution. I live 'out in the sticks' and it is my only form of heating but the 'writing is on the wall' for ever more restrictive pollution control,from cars and homes, as what is considered a 'safe level' of air pollution is constantly re-evaluated.
John97Tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 21:16   #333
The Thong
VOC Member

Especially in an energy crisis

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environm...ution-thought/

TT
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 21:27   #334
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
It was from an old environmental health book so was a fairly dated and generic figure,- I'm sure more recent ( and probably more accurate)figures are available online. I thought my '06 XC70 with Euro 4 D5 would soon become a liability with local clean air schemes( currently being re-evaluated) but I do have other 'pollution' concerns at present. My sole method of home heating, a wood burning stove that also does the central heating is now being widely vilified as the spawn of Satan in respect of air pollution. I live 'out in the sticks' and it is my only form of heating but the 'writing is on the wall' for ever more restrictive pollution control,from cars and homes, as what is considered a 'safe level' of air pollution is constantly re-evaluated.
As long as your wood is "good wood" then all is good and noone will get their knickers in a twist. Would the latest fashionable "wood pellets" work for you ?

Plus, if you live "out in the sticks" noone would be any the wiser of whatever you incinerated.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 21:57   #335
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Sounds like a very boring future world. Thankfully that's unlikely to ever come to pass. What about the retro/classic/modified/bangernomics car community? Surely is far larger than just performance cars, particularly in America.

The pollution angle is just being used by the government to get people to buy new so-called 'clean' cars. Just like when diesel was pushed.

Yeah, redblocks only! ICE cars are here to stay. Always bet on ICE. Petrol has come down again, although I could afford it even if it tripled in price.

Well that's up to the ears of the beholder. My straight piped redblock sounds good and beastly, with the occasional pop and bang. She likes to party. You can always sit there with your ear defenders on?
That is true, it’s all in the ear of the beholder. In my opinion the only decent 4 cylinder engines are generally 1l plus sports bike. The likes of the Big Bang R1 engines etc. play a few cars like the Abarths sound ok. But far from the ****ty golf’s and polos you see rolling around with stupid exhausts. I’m not a fan of the jap 3” exhaust notes either tbh, but again that’s me.

What they were explaining is that the older cars can be converted to electric which is happening more often with great results.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 22:02   #336
John97Tdi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
As long as your wood is "good wood" then all is good and noone will get their knickers in a twist. Would the latest fashionable "wood pellets" work for you ?

Plus, if you live "out in the sticks" noone would be any the wiser of whatever you incinerated.
I learned decades ago the folly of trying to burn anything other than very well seasoned/kiln dried wood. My main concern is draconian legislation to address those in inner cities in pursuit of 'hygge' lifestyles being brought out with no concern for those who actually use wood for heating in rural areas. Although I'm out in the sticks I do have new neighbours who have already complained about the cobbles on the cobbled lane,the 'rural' nature of the rural setting and even how dark it is at night - I have no doubt, should legislation be brought out controlling woodburners, a whiff of smoke will see them complaining to the 'powers that be' in righteous indignation.
John97Tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 23:20   #337
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
That is true, it’s all in the ear of the beholder. In my opinion the only decent 4 cylinder engines are generally 1l plus sports bike. The likes of the Big Bang R1 engines etc. play a few cars like the Abarths sound ok. But far from the ****ty golf’s and polos you see rolling around with stupid exhausts. I’m not a fan of the jap 3” exhaust notes either tbh, but again that’s me.

What they were explaining is that the older cars can be converted to electric which is happening more often with great results.
Count me out then, I only have a 2012 Gixxer 750 150PS for my 190kgs. Who knew Volvo owners were so picky ?.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Feb 11th, 2023 at 00:34.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 23:28   #338
Existential Crisis

I like the sound of a good four pot, in fact I like the sound of most engines. I also like the sound of silence.
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 01:17   #339
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Sounds like a very boring future world.
Agree, absolutely will be.

Quote:
Thankfully that's unlikely to ever come to pass. What about the retro/classic/modified/bangernomics car community? Surely is far larger than just performance cars, particularly in America.
It'll take a while to happen, but petrol is going to be consumed less & less, the price of it will therefore increase due to lost economies-of-scale, and it's not going to be worth keeping your interesting old car 'cos it'll cost you £5/mile to run & most of that will be in making the trek to the closest place that even sells petrol.

Quote:
The pollution angle is just being used by the government to get people to buy new so-called 'clean' cars.
Yes, the pollution angle is being used as a way of getting people to buy cars that ... ahem ... cause less pollution.
That would seem pretty obvious ... ?

Quote:
ICE cars are here to stay. Always bet on ICE. Petrol has come down again, although I could afford it even if it tripled in price.
It's going to be way more than triple, when the production quantities start to properly back off!
That'll be a while yet though, I don't see it really happening within the decade, there's still a lot of Developing World that need transport & nobody is going to be able to produce an EV for as little as Tata can produce a cheap basic ICE car.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 08:52   #340
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
It's going to be way more than triple, when the production quantities start to properly back off!
That'll be a while yet though, I don't see it really happening within the decade, there's still a lot of Developing World that need transport & nobody is going to be able to produce an EV for as little as Tata can produce a cheap basic ICE car.

I'm not so sure...

The price of petrol is entirely artificial - it fluctuates to control demand but the supply level is set by the oil producers themselves (Opec etc.) There has always been a belief that one day we will run out of oil but we keep finding it and despite global demand being high - there's no sign of it running out yet. Controversially fracking is helping with that. The actual cost of petrol is so much less than we pay at the pump - this is why oil companies are posting record profits but in reality it is not something they created entirely on their own.

There will always be petrol and diesel as we need to extract oil for so many other reasons, chemicals, medicines, plastics, fabrics, glues, sealants, hoses, etc. something the Just Stop Oil and Stinky Rebellion movements seem too dumb to recognise. And developing countries need oil, they're going through all of the development we did in the last 70 years except we called it progress and now some of us would criticise them.

One of the most stupid things in the UK that I cannot get my head around is the wholesale price of electricity is directly linked to the wholesale price of gas as that is the single biggest source. Again, it's purely ariticial, the cost of energy from nuclear and renewables (solar, wind) has not risen significantly in recent years - it's just that someone decided we were going to limit how much we made, close down powerstations, and increase the price to limit that demand so supply wasn't exceeded.

*sigh*
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Feb 11th, 2023 at 08:56.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote