Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 912830

Replies : 6542

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2022, 16:56   #3251
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Good research chaps. That is more or less as I remembered it:
a. Douglas was first to produce flat twins (fore and aft) before WW1.

b. BMW followed in the 1920s with an inline crank design - I had not realised the bit about the first BMW being a copy of the Douglas motor.

c. ABC produced inline crank flat twins before BMW, and even had a patent wrangle with the Germans back in the day. The 400cc twin from 1920 looks very impressive for its day: OHV, 4 speed gearbox and would do 70MPH:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_motorcycles
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 15:23   #3252
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This one might be a good indicator. It would be a bit too new, has a huge mileage (262,000) and has been laid up for years:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255871990...Bk9SR8ilmKGhYQ

... but is an indicator of close to the bottom of the market for project motor cars. The vendor (one who dabbles in the motor trade rather than a dealer I think) has realised the historic vehicle premium is just over the hill (although in 2027, not 2026 as he/she claims) - and so it trying to cash in on the historic vehicle bandwagon early. I think too early as 5 years is quite a long time to pay tax on an otherwise unattractive vehicle; in my opinion this one is only worth £500, but I'll watch it to see if the historic premium has started affecting 740 prices yet.

This 740 made £870 so perhaps there is a tiny bit of early historic vehicle premium showing through?

I'm just a little suspicious that the final bid may not have been genuine, it is always a bit dubious when a bidder with a very low eBay score (9***2Feedback score (1)) shows up late on in the auction (today) when the other bidding took place 3 days ago. As always, I hope I'm wrong... we'll see.

Old Dec 18th, 2022, 07:09   #3253
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Following my research into 700 series motor cars, this quite nice looking 760 from 1989 failed to get a single bid at £3,250:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394327175...mis&media=COPY

I suppose this one will reappear at a lower price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It has been listed at that price a few times I believe, I can only think it is because it is a saloon it isn't attracting the bids. I doubt one that tidy will come up again any time soon especially with such a rare interior!! If I could afford it and had the space I'd be all over it, I wish I hadn't broken my first 1988 760 turbo saloon for parts now and instead kept it. I broke it as an engine donor to turbo my 360 which never happened and has now been sold. I have fitted the 531 head to my 940 though so part of it lives on.

It was a pale metallic green 1988 turbo saloon, slushbox with tan interior, absolutely gorgeous car that ran very smoothly, the biggest automotive regret I have is breaking that car
Quote:
This old friend has appeared yet again:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394363051...Bk9SR7DzmeacYQ

... the seller is trying it again at £2,650, having failed to get a bid at that price (and I think a few higher prices) previously.

Ho hum
... and having disappeared from sale by classified ad a few days ago, this old friend has reappeared, this time in an auction:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394382812...Bk9SR_70h8CkYQ

... I wonder at the efficacy of running a 7 day auction just before Xmas (it ends at 9 AM on Xmas eve) - perhaps the vendor hopes someone will get it as a stocking filler at the last minute .

I've lost track of how many times we have seen this one in various selling formats over the past few months. If I recall correctly Luke said he had seen it for sale quite some time ago. I do so hope the vendor is not going to stoop to shill bidding; I'm slightly suspicious already as a bidder with a very low eBay feedback (1***8Feedback score (3)) seems to be pushing things along already at only £775.

The auction does not seem to have a reserve this time, but I wonder whether the vendor would actually sell if bidding only gets to say £1,500 (perhaps 1***8Feedback score (3) is a banker to make sure it doesn't sell too cheaply)?

We'll see.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 18th, 2022 at 07:16. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 08:21   #3254
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

... Talking of 14X car prices, I just saw this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Volv...UAAOSw2lxfjtvV

£4,000 sounds a lot to me for a complete rot box (just look at those sills), unregistered LHD import, but I suppose if someone spent £15,000 on it then it would be a really interesting car - worth £20,000 though? I don't know...
Alan
In this column we often see motor cars on sale for a very long time, this one must be close to the record:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144859362...UAAOSw2lxfjtvV

... it is a 1973 Volvo 145 Express in a distinctive blue. We first commented upon this one in November 2020 (the post above refers, but unfortunately the eBay link is too old to work, this is an excerpt from the URL: Volvo-145-Express-Very-rare-model-1-of-2-in-the-UK-Runs-but-needs-resto). It was 4 grand then, and seems to have gradually snuk down to £2,500 over the past 2 years. I still think it is a load of rubbish.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 18th, 2022 at 08:31. Reason: Correction.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 08:34   #3255
Steve 940
Premier Member

Indeed Alan, I can recall that 145 being up for sale when I was first looking at Volvos.

Bit of a shed, and its quite likely to have deteriorated further since the advert photos were taken.

I think this one has two possible routes to see, someone with deep pockets and time, with perhaps an interest in classic Volvo rallying might like as a period service backup. A bit of added decoration in parc ferme??

Or perhaps more likely, a source to break and sell individual parts to other owners to keep the old girls on the road.

Trouble is that the 145's seem not be as desired as 240's for some reason, not sure why, but then again as you know I have a perverse hankering for a 145 although not that one.....😀😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 08:48   #3256
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Indeed Alan, I can recall that 145 being up for sale when I was first looking at Volvos.

Bit of a shed, and its quite likely to have deteriorated further since the advert photos were taken.

I think this one has two possible routes to see, someone with deep pockets and time, with perhaps an interest in classic Volvo rallying might like as a period service backup. A bit of added decoration in parc ferme??

Or perhaps more likely, a source to break and sell individual parts to other owners to keep the old girls on the road.

Trouble is that the 145's seem not be as desired as 240's for some reason, not sure why, but then again as you know I have a perverse hankering for a 145 although not that one.....😀😀

Cheers
Steve
You are right about 140s not having developed a cult following as Amazons and 240s have, and also the same is true of 740s. The same happens with all sorts of motor cars and motorcycles: older Fords are worth a fortune, the same age Vauxhalls are cheap; 1970s Honda 4s are really expensive, similar Suzuki 4 strokes are cheap. I don't know why: 'it's like that 'cause its the way it is'.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 09:56   #3257
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
In this column we often see motor cars on sale for a very long time, this one must be close to the record:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144859362...UAAOSw2lxfjtvV

... it is a 1973 Volvo 145 Express in a distinctive blue. We first commented upon this one in November 2020 (the post above refers, but unfortunately the eBay link is too old to work, this is an excerpt from the URL: Volvo-145-Express-Very-rare-model-1-of-2-in-the-UK-Runs-but-needs-resto). It was 4 grand then, and seems to have gradually snuk down to £2,500 over the past 2 years. I still think it is a load of rubbish.

The guy imported it to sell on (I think) and my understanding he may of overpaid in the first place and owes him a bit. It has more value in Sweden and Netherlands but it needs a lot of welding and 140/240 repair panels aren’t great quality so to make a decent car is going to be time consuming and expensive. I don’t think the seller is trying to rip anyone off, he’s just totally missed the mark on this car and it’s value in the U.K. Me personally I’d rather a standard 145.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 10:05   #3258
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
The guy imported it to sell on (I think) and my understanding he may of overpaid in the first place and owes him a bit. It has more value in Sweden and Netherlands but it needs a lot of welding and 140/240 repair panels aren’t great quality so to make a decent car is going to be time consuming and expensive. I don’t think the seller is trying to rip anyone off, he’s just totally missed the mark on this car and it’s value in the U.K. Me personally I’d rather a standard 145.
That is the real value of this excellent forum Mitch: people often have first hand knowledge. Thank you for the explanation: I wasn't implying the seller is trying to rip anyone off, rather that he has had his fingers burned (as you confirm).

Old Dec 18th, 2022, 11:24   #3259
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I doubt that this one will make £900 - off the road for 4 years, no MoT, doesn't run, needs trailering away - £500 maybe, or £250 for scrap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275571936...Bk9SR6Lklf2hYQ
I have noticed the vendor has lowered the asking price to £800 with just a few hours of the sale to go. That may be a bit too little, too late; it does give us an idea of 740 values at the bottom of the market.

Old Dec 18th, 2022, 11:42   #3260
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have noticed the vendor has lowered the asking price to £800 with just a few hours of the sale to go. That may be a bit too little, too late; it does give us an idea of 740 values at the bottom of the market.

A non-running B200? £800??

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: