Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 904127

Replies : 6513

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2022, 17:21   #3191
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Ah! Now that is interesting! Almost certainly shill bidding in the auction, then chumney decided he could do a bit better and wants 9 grand for his pile of bits. I think that is pushing the price hard, unless the seller can show there is nothing missing from the Vincent (the Villiers is of negligible value in comparison) as when restored it would only be worth 20 grand.

It looks (from the pattern of bidding at the previous auction) that the genuine bidding dried up at about £6,200, and this bidder:

8***mFeedback score (107)

Nudged it on all the way from £3,500. I still think £9,000 is an ambitious price for a pile of single cylinder bits and won't leave any profit margin.

I've just read the new ad, and chumney claims it was a spurious bidder (who is named and shamed) that spoiled the previous auction. Maybe, and maybe not. I think the pile of parts will be for sale for some time at 9 grand.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 16:50   #3192
Bob 1967
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Dutch Auction?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction

Seems to closely resemble what's happening!
I think I countered that with "It's more like a Dutch Oven!"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Dutch%20oven
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 18:15   #3193
Moomoo
VOC Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275539657...Bk9SR9bjw4GfYQ

It’s not going to sell for anything like that price is it?🤨
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 18:58   #3194
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275539657...Bk9SR9bjw4GfYQ

It’s not going to sell for anything like that price is it?🤨
I thought that was a fairly sensible price for an historic motor car Andrew. I think the vendor is an occasional member of this forum.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 19:34   #3195
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I thought that was a fairly sensible price for an historic motor car Andrew. I think the vendor is an occasional member of this forum.
Too many imperfections, I think Alan!

The car is good but , as I say too many knocks!

Last edited by Moomoo; Dec 9th, 2022 at 21:22.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 22:30   #3196
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I've just noticed the asking starting price has just been cut to £3,150 (still no bids). If that called a 'falling auction' where the price keeps getting reduced until someone buys?

I still think it is too expensive for a polished turd.

I’ve been following this auction, the 740 estate failed to get any bids at £3,150. I suppose we see it a few more times until it gets to £2,500.

Old Dec 9th, 2022, 22:39   #3197
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Too many imperfections, I think Alan!

The car is good but , as I say too many knocks!
Maybe Andrew. The seller is a genuine chap I think. If I recall he inherited the motor car from a relative and has spent a bit to recommission it. If he got it MoT tested and took some better photos I think it would make the money.
Old Dec 10th, 2022, 06:44   #3198
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

I regret to report that I was exactly right, this was obvious shill bidding by another seller and this one has also had his fingers burned. A classified ad appeared this morn at £5,995:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195463659748

... it this wasn't so pathetic it would be amusing. It looks (to me) like genuine bidding at the auction topped out at about £3,000, but chumney thought he/she would add another £1,700 or so on with some shill bids and see if a sucker followed. Fortunately no one did and the seller looks foolish.

I find this obvious shill bidding really irritating - perhaps it is something about red motor cars?

:-(
Quote:
Ah ha!

The asking price (classified ad) has suddenly dropped to £4,995 - only another 2 grand to go until it sells .
I've been keeping an eye on this one... the sale ends this morn (it is a classified ad with offers invited). I don't think it will sell so we'll probably see it again, but it probably won't be worth re-advertising until after the holidays. If I remember correctly this motor car has been for sale since October (I suspect the day after it passed a MoT test), this is from when BicycleBoy saw it on 3 November (having already been on sale for a while):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
It's a good place to log and track the UK 240 market.

Here's a nice saloon that's sat for aeons at £6.5k, vendor has finally thrown it to the market to decide with a no-reserve auction:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195449039987

And we all love a GLT estate, again no reserve auction:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225234209444
... the vendor has tried lots of tricks to shift it including shill bidding at auction, but I think he/she has been greedy and is now paying the price. January and February are going to be hard times to sell large, thirsty, non-historic cars of no particular note - even in red.

I'm still struggling to see this motor car making more than about 3 grand.

PS/ This vendor is the one also selling the Austin Ambassador and a Ford Cortina - neither of those has sold either .

Last edited by Othen; Dec 10th, 2022 at 06:57. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2022, 10:00   #3199
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I’ve been following this auction, the 740 estate failed to get any bids at £3,150. I suppose we see it a few more times until it gets to £2,500.

... by way of comparison, this 760 diesel estate made £3,000 at Mathewson's auction last week:

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=96&pn=5&g=1

... with just 87,000 miles (according to the MoT history). I think that puts the 740 above at no more than £2,500.
Old Dec 10th, 2022, 11:13   #3200
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
This one might be a good test of the bottom of the market:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354428701...p2471758.m4703

Bobwalkin time.

PS. Bob and I are back home. This one is another 'barn find', it hasn't been run since 2018 and the registration plates have been removed so I can't check the MoT history. It looks a bit rough, and one has to wonder why it was shelved 4 years ago. Bidding seems to have gone along briskly, but in small increments so I wonder whether there is a friendly (to the seller) bidder nudging it along a bit to get things started. I'd say this one would be much more risk than Phil's estate that sold for under £500 a few days ago, so if bidding goes over a monkey I'd suspect a bit of shill action
Bidding was quite brisk early on with this 'barn find' 740. The bidding pattern does look like it is shill with a new eBay user (7***3Feedback score (2)) pushing the price up quickly from £300 to £540, where it seems to have stalled with a day to go. If that happens we normally either see the shill bids retracted just prior to the end of the auction, or the motor car advertised again on Monday.

I can't help thinking the 740 is already at the price it is worth.