Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 79770

Replies : 1405

Users Viewing This Thread : SuffolkBoy

Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:36   #311
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Trompé.

sur quels points ?
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:41   #312
Fastpatsilents

Don't flatter yourself, plenty of posts from me from last summer in this section, which is when I stopped lurking and started posting.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326961

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=326144&page=2

Now of course to fit your conspiracy theory you'll no doubt conclude that the admins have retrospectively allowed me to edit my posts and that I've gone to the trouble of logging in with multiple usernames to respond to my post and give it credibility.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 17:06   #313
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

@ James, I see you are rightly monitoring things right now, so could you please close ban this account, I've tried to stay away from them but they just appear, as discussed before no hard feelings and I do not want to continue to be part of the friction that is happening here, you may also want to delete everything back to the last postings about actual cars.

All the best you've been ultra patient imo but I can't not log in and if I do they're on me within 20 minutes.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 18:03   #314
GMcL
0's and 1's

Anywho, it appears Volvo has no problem with electrification with sales trebling from 2021 to 2022:

https://www.ft.com/content/70a0a502-...b-5593b7ad7136

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 22:42   #315
John97Tdi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
@ James, I see you are rightly monitoring things right now, so could you please close ban this account, I've tried to stay away from them but they just appear, as discussed before no hard feelings and I do not want to continue to be part of the friction that is happening here, you may also want to delete everything back to the last postings about actual cars.

All the best you've been ultra patient imo but I can't not log in and if I do they're on me within 20 minutes.
It's a bit of a stretch considering your extensive record of trolling to claim victim status here,but no more outrageous than most of the conspiracy theories you have promoted,at length, and with what I and others sometimes saw as malicious intent,throughout the forum threads. I hope you can find a less disruptive outlet for your talents wherever you go.

Take care

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 23:38   #316
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Back on topic,

If anyone reading is looking to change cars go hybrid, do not go full EV it's not matured enough yet and whole package wise it's no cleaner than an ICE car is
In terms of total lifecycle emissions a new EV becomes cleaner than a new ICE car after about 1.5 years & from there it's massively better, I poasted this linky a couple of weeks back (I think it was this thread).

Charging availability is a different matter & will depend on circumstances. British cities aren't as urban-sprawl-without-matching-public-transport as Australian ones, and using PT is obviously way better than buying an EV from an environmental POV!!

If you're wanting to be environmentally responsible, then of course NO new car is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Anywho, it appears Volvo has no problem with electrification with sales trebling from 2021 to 2022:

https://www.ft.com/content/70a0a502-...b-5593b7ad7136
I'm not a subscriber, but the headline seems to be saying it's their electric vehicles tripling sales? I don't know what proportion that makes of their total vehicle sales these days, but given that demand's been outstripping supply for anything that has wheels(*) over the last 2-3 years that doesn't mean a huge amount. At least it justifies their investment!

(*) I wish I'd thought of attaching old Hornby motors to skateboards & selling them for a squillion pounds apiece as EV's in 2021 - would've made a killing!!!

Last edited by Forg; Feb 9th, 2023 at 23:42.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 08:15   #317
GMcL
0's and 1's

What you have to keep an eye on with EVs is how clean or otherwise the countries electricity generation is. The CO2 equivalent g/kWh. They never tell you that only the 0 emissions at use number.

Due to the switch from gas to brown coal where I live the equivalent figure is 68g/km for our EV. There will be much political nashing of teeth that the switch to EVs has not cleaned up the air as much as expected and the motorist must pay. Forgetting it's the generating side that is polluting.
Either way you are going to pay more for electricity and motoring in the future.

I also find it quite funny the mayor of London can announce vehicle pollution is causing bad air and people should walk, cycle, use public transport forgetting there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of buildings with gas or oil powered heating systems silently releasing emissions while not moving, further concentrating the pollution. Yes, vehicles pollute but they are not the only source of pollution. London is also surrounded by five international airports.

Old Feb 10th, 2023, 08:52   #318
Fastpatsilents

The ULEZ has reduced pollution by 26%, a significant amount which will save lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...droidApp_Other
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 08:59   #319
GMcL
0's and 1's

It would appear the Guardian is contradicting the Government:
https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes...burning-london

I'm not quite sure how one action can be credited with a result when the are always multiple actions in progress.

The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 09:38   #320
Thekilt

It’s on cold mornings like it has been recently, that I can’t wait to get an electric car, and will always sing their praise. You see the amount of emissions coming from cars and with the steam coming out, my 2 year old son walked behind the back of our car the other day, and while passing he got a face full of it. Even walking down the road on the pavement, his height he gets most of the blast. No wonder there are so many children with breathing issues such asthma. Electric cars solve this issue, and yes the CO2 emissions are just transferred up the line, but that’s better at a remote power station than being presented to it in the face around your home and local town.

Look at the sides of the roads with dead plants and grimy residue within tunnels etc. I understand there will still be rubber and brake dust, but the majority of the emissions form the exhaust are solved.

And then there is the sound. Just sitting at some cafe's near the road in Swanage during the summer, and the noise some emit is awful. I love a decent engine tone from an i5, Straight 6, V8, 10, 12 etc but there is a time and a place and when sitting enjoying a coffee in a tranquil seaside town is not one of them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post: