Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 914032

Replies : 6542

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 23:00   #3181
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

My boss thought he was doing me a favour by giving me an Allegro as my company car. He wasn't so happy when I told him I'd taken legal advice and yes, his gesture could be construed as constructive dismissal.

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 23:42   #3182
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
When these came out, I lost my mind.
I thought they bore no relation to the Princess I had the pleasure of being a passenger in, on way to holiday in Rush Co. Dublin (before it became a housing estate )as a young boy.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19288/lot/503/

My father was a Chauffer and coach driver at the time.
We were asked " Is that a Rolls Royce? " by the locals.
"No" we replied proudly "It's a Princess".
We had fun doing the Royal Wave as we passed!

That thing looks like an inflated Fiat Ritmo.
I'd buy it just to crush it.
Ah, but it's not a Princess 4-Litre R! The "R" stood for Rolls-Royce who supplied the engine in those (later) models.

As for the Fiat Strada/Ritmo aka Seat Malaga in certain markets (the first and last LHD car i've driven and will remain so!), the shape is where the similarity ends between those and the Princess/Ambassador range of BL/ARG cars.
Purely out of interest, not far from me is a bloke who seems to have several classics, one of which is an 83 (i think) Fiat Strada Convertible. Actually looks like quite a nice car and unlike many other Italian cars of the time, doesn't need to be swept up because it's rusted to nothing.

I've always fancied fitting a T series engine in an Ambassador, perhaps even the T16T which would make it a lot more rapid. Maybe if i win the lottery some time soon i'll have a blue one with 200bhp of turbo power.............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 07:53   #3183
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Following my research into 700 series motor cars, this quite nice looking 760 from 1989 failed to get a single bid at £3,250:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394327175...mis&media=COPY

I suppose this one will reappear at a lower price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It has been listed at that price a few times I believe, I can only think it is because it is a saloon it isn't attracting the bids. I doubt one that tidy will come up again any time soon especially with such a rare interior!! If I could afford it and had the space I'd be all over it, I wish I hadn't broken my first 1988 760 turbo saloon for parts now and instead kept it. I broke it as an engine donor to turbo my 360 which never happened and has now been sold. I have fitted the 531 head to my 940 though so part of it lives on.

It was a pale metallic green 1988 turbo saloon, slushbox with tan interior, absolutely gorgeous car that ran very smoothly, the biggest automotive regret I have is breaking that car
This old friend has appeared yet again:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394363051...Bk9SR7DzmeacYQ

... the seller is trying it again at £2,650, having failed to get a bid at that price (and I think a few higher prices) previously.

Ho hum
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 06:25   #3184
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
This one might be a good test of the bottom of the market:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354428701...p2471758.m4703

Bobwalkin time.

PS. Bob and I are back home. This one is another 'barn find', it hasn't been run since 2018 and the registration plates have been removed so I can't check the MoT history. It looks a bit rough, and one has to wonder why it was shelved 4 years ago. Bidding seems to have gone along briskly, but in small increments so I wonder whether there is a friendly (to the seller) bidder nudging it along a bit to get things started. I'd say this one would be much more risk than Phil's estate that sold for under £500 a few days ago, so if bidding goes over a monkey I'd suspect a bit of shill action
... £530 already and brisk bidding, I'll start watching
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 15:41   #3185
Moomoo
VOC Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374393246...Condition=3000

Well, well!🧐
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 16:05   #3186
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That pile of parts that might one day resemble a Comet 500 (plus some Villiers bits) made £6,517 at auction. Not cheap!

Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Ah! Now that is interesting! Almost certainly shill bidding in the auction, then chumney decided he could do a bit better and wants 9 grand for his pile of bits. I think that is pushing the price hard, unless the seller can show there is nothing missing from the Vincent (the Villiers is of negligible value in comparison) as when restored it would only be worth 20 grand.

It looks (from the pattern of bidding at the previous auction) that the genuine bidding dried up at about £6,200, and this bidder:

8***mFeedback score (107)

Nudged it on all the way from £3,500. I still think £9,000 is an ambitious price for a pile of single cylinder bits and won't leave any profit margin.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 7th, 2022 at 16:11.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 16:27   #3187
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Good morn chaps,

Ebay reminded me that this one had been relisted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325448067...&segname=11011

... I'm pretty sure (from memory) that it was previously for sale with a SP of £3,500, it must have failed to find even an opening bid at that that price, and has appeared again starting at £3,300.

I still think that is too expensive for what it is, my observation is that 740s don't sell well (compared with 240s) and this one is nothing special. It is a 1987 motor car, so a few years until it qualifies as an historic vehicle and has a bit of a patchy history. The 740 had a rest for a couple of years from 2019 to 2021, and the Nov 19 MoT failure report is a bit worrying:
Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Front Direction indicator not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Brake cable damaged (1.1.15 (a))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
corrosion inside nsf arch . not prescribed area
osr sill corroded
Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
I'm not sure what the motor trader's story would be to cover that, but if I were a potential buyer (I'm not) I'd take some convincing. Maybe someone fixed all the corrosion issues, then spent thousands of ceramic coating for the paint and 'underside protection' - or perhaps someone put some filler in the rust holes and gave it a thick coat of underseal? It seems odd (to me) that someone spent so much on the motor car's appearance but didn't bother to fix the leaky footwells, sagging headlining, fuel gauge and sunroof.

To me it looks like a polished turd that is worth 2 grand. Clearly the vendor disagrees.

I've just noticed the asking starting price has just been cut to £3,150 (still no bids). If that called a 'falling auction' where the price keeps getting reduced until someone buys?

I still think it is too expensive for a polished turd.

Old Dec 7th, 2022, 16:43   #3188
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've just noticed the asking starting price has just been cut to £3,150 (still no bids). If that called a 'falling auction' where the price keeps getting reduced until someone buys?

I still think it is too expensive for a polished turd.

Dutch Auction?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction

Seems to closely resemble what's happening!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 16:44   #3189
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Dutch Auction?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction

Seems to closely resemble what's happening!
Ah yes, I remember now, I've heard the term Dutch auction previously.

PS. having just read the description though, this isn't quite the same. Only the starting price is being lowered, a Dutch auction would be where the 'buy in now' price was dropping.

Last edited by Othen; Dec 7th, 2022 at 16:47.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 17:04   #3190
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah yes, I remember now, I've heard the term Dutch auction previously.

PS. having just read the description though, this isn't quite the same. Only the starting price is being lowered, a Dutch auction would be where the 'buy in now' price was dropping.
I have always thought of it as a "catch-all phrase" that covers most eventualities Alan so i would use it in this situation although i agree, it seems to not quite fit this time. Each to their own though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: