Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 900564

Replies : 6504

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 09:03   #3171
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I know this one isn't a Volvo (but we often go on tangents here). I was curious about the other offering from the motor trader selling the red 240 saloon that keeps dropping in price (a long way to go yet though). The dealer has a very rough Austin Ambassador for sale at £1,695:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195493671...cAAOSwp1tjg1mQ

... it had been off the road for so long there is no MoT history recorded for it (so I'm guessing at least since about 2010). This motor car is only worth scrap value, but that seems to be this motor trader's comfort zone .
Hmmmm, interesting! The lack of MoT history suggests it went off the road pre-2006 which is how far the history usually goes back. Last change of V5C was 7/1/22 suggesting the dealer bought it then. It's had 6 previous owners according to ebay which in ~23 years (1983-2006) is one every 4 years ish.
Blows my first theory of it being bought new at retirement and run until they gave up driving and then left to the widow until her demise.
Sadly some muppet has converted it to single carb and added a manual choke (should be twin carb 100bhp with FASD - Fully Automatic Start Device on HLS/VDP models) and the number plates look very new which suggests it possibly had a cherished plate on it which was sold separately. Could explain the lack of MoT history on that registration.

There is a small but fiercely loyal following for Princess/Ambassador models, wonder why none of them have snapped this up? Price wise i think it's £700-1000 overpriced, the sheer rarity of the car and particularly this model do give it a premium but it is a restoration case for sure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 09:21   #3172
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmmm, interesting! The lack of MoT history suggests it went off the road pre-2006 which is how far the history usually goes back. Last change of V5C was 7/1/22 suggesting the dealer bought it then. It's had 6 previous owners according to ebay which in ~23 years (1983-2006) is one every 4 years ish.
Blows my first theory of it being bought new at retirement and run until they gave up driving and then left to the widow until her demise.
Sadly some muppet has converted it to single carb and added a manual choke (should be twin carb 100bhp with FASD - Fully Automatic Start Device on HLS/VDP models) and the number plates look very new which suggests it possibly had a cherished plate on it which was sold separately. Could explain the lack of MoT history on that registration.

There is a small but fiercely loyal following for Princess/Ambassador models, wonder why none of them have snapped this up? Price wise i think it's £700-1000 overpriced, the sheer rarity of the car and particularly this model do give it a premium but it is a restoration case for sure.
Thank you Dave, I thought you might know about this sort of motor car, that is fascinating.

I'm amazed this one might be worth £600-£900 (I thought it might be weighed in for £200 scrap), and that it might be worth restoring. The Princess/Ambassador followers must be a hardy bunch.

In a similar vein, I came across this 1979 Allegro Vanden Plas:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255862291...Bk9SR9ywo5WcYQ

... I think the last MoT ran out about 5 years ago, so a bit longer than the seller implies since it was last used. It is an rough as a badger's arse, and I'm a bit alarmed that the seller claims it is now tax and MoT exempt - there is no way that has been roadworthy in years.

Is this one scrap value, or would it also be worth restoring?

Last edited by Othen; Dec 5th, 2022 at 09:25.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 09:24   #3173
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That 5 cylinder 2 stroke Kawasaki made £22,250 at auction. I thought that a pretty reasonable price.

I'm wondering whether I should have bought that 5 cylinder Millyard Kawasaki: it is too late now, but I think it would have made me quite happy
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 10:05   #3174
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you Dave, I thought you might know about this sort of motor car, that is fascinating.

I'm amazed this one might be worth £600-£900 (I thought it might be weighed in for £200 scrap), and that it might be worth restoring. The Princess/Ambassador followers must be a hardy bunch.

In a similar vein, I came across this 1979 Allegro Vanden Plas:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255862291...Bk9SR9ywo5WcYQ

... I think the last MoT ran out about 5 years ago, so a bit longer than the seller implies since it was last used. It is an rough as a badger's arse, and I'm a bit alarmed that the seller claims it is now tax and MoT exempt - there is no way that has been roadworthy in years.

Is this one scrap value, or would it also be worth restoring?

Accusations of masochism have been levelled at BL Wedge followers Alan, that is true!

I've had a couple of Ambassadors, a 2.0HL and a 2.0HLS plus my dad had one of the first as a company car.

More accusations of masochism go to Allegro owners too but they ride amazingly well for a small car and the 1500 engine makes them quite nippy. As the one you've found is a VDP and still has its picnoc tables intact, it may well fetch a surprising amount.

Appears to be up together mechanically (notwithstanding the brake problem mentioned by the seller) but it's a few cosmetic bits that let it down.

A fairly easy resto and an easy colour to paint (they left the factory with a multitude of different shades of Sandglow so won't matter too much about an exact match as long as the car is all one colour) plus good support from the owners club and various autojumbles should see it doing the show circuits fairly quickly.

Quote:
I'm wondering whether I should have bought that 5 cylinder Millyard Kawasaki: it is too late now, but I think it would have made me quite happy
It would have terrified your neighbours too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 14:28   #3175
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Accusations of masochism have been levelled at BL Wedge followers Alan, that is true!

I've had a couple of Ambassadors, a 2.0HL and a 2.0HLS plus my dad had one of the first as a company car.

More accusations of masochism go to Allegro owners too but they ride amazingly well for a small car and the 1500 engine makes them quite nippy. As the one you've found is a VDP and still has its picnoc tables intact, it may well fetch a surprising amount.

Appears to be up together mechanically (notwithstanding the brake problem mentioned by the seller) but it's a few cosmetic bits that let it down.

A fairly easy resto and an easy colour to paint (they left the factory with a multitude of different shades of Sandglow so won't matter too much about an exact match as long as the car is all one colour) plus good support from the owners club and various autojumbles should see it doing the show circuits fairly quickly.

It would have terrified your neighbours too!
Strangely, I'm quite attracted to the idea of an Allegro project (not as much as the 5 cylinder 2 stroke Millyard Kawasaki).

This one seems to be doing quite well for a cooking motor car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255846593533

... nearly £2,500 with a few hours of the auction to go, that is sort of 240 money.

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 16:39   #3176
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Strangely, I'm quite attracted to the idea of an Allegro project (not as much as the 5 cylinder 2 stroke Millyard Kawasaki).

... nearly £2,500 with a few hours of the auction to go, that is sort of 240 money.

My brother had a 1750 SS Allegro, it was a hoot , when it was in the mood but it had all the traits of its ilk.
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 20:03   #3177
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

This Allegro didn’t get any more bids and so finished the auction at £2487, not meeting its reserve. I have no idea how much the seller was expecting, but that seemed quite a healthy price to me.

These are pretty ugly motor cars, and the engineering is nothing special, but they do have a certain charm (to me).

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 20:06   #3178
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Nice, but better to go for a 1500 or 1750 to gain the 5-speed box and extra power and torque. You are likely to be luckier with the colour as well, rather than having a Mobile Turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
My brother had a 1750 SS Allegro, it was a hoot , when it was in the mood but it had all the traits of its ilk.
If memory serves the 1750SS was a limited run "sports" version with twin headlamps, a fancy set of go-faster stripes and (most were) silver paintwork. Twin carb 1750 engine, put out about 95bhp i think so was quite a lively performer, at least for the day. I believe its successor was called the Equipe, pronounced "A-keep" if you were posh, "equip" if you weren't and "Eck-wipe" if you were ridiculing it.

Granted the Allegro was styled my Mr Magoo, Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller but at least they met for the exercise, unlike the Maestro where not only did the styling committee never meet, they were never told they were working on the same car!

That said, they are surprisingly nice to drive, you don't really see the outside from behind the wheel (although early models with the square "Quartic" wheel the outside might be preferable!), they're very comfortable and ride very nicely, courtesy of the Hydragas suspension.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 20:37   #3179
Dippydog
Premier Member

Friend of mine in the '70s had a 1750 SS pretty nippy for its time,his was white with a black vinyl roof[posh or what] In the mid '80s I had a 2L HLS Ambassador which was written off after being hit by a drunk driver in a Transit van actually a very good car that I liked a lot.A chap round the corner from me has a 2L HL Ambassador that he uses as a daily driver.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 21:05   #3180
Bob 1967
Master Member

Quote:

When these came out, I lost my mind.
I thought they bore no relation to the Princess I had the pleasure of being a passenger in, on way to holiday in Rush Co. Dublin (before it became a housing estate )as a young boy.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19288/lot/503/

My father was a Chauffer and coach driver at the time.
We were asked " Is that a Rolls Royce? " by the locals.
"No" we replied proudly "It's a Princess".
We had fun doing the Royal Wave as we passed!

That thing looks like an inflated Fiat Ritmo.
I'd buy it just to crush it.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Dec 5th, 2022 at 21:16.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post: