Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 76391

Replies : 1373

Users Viewing This Thread : baggy798, The Thong

Old Feb 9th, 2023, 13:47   #301
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
As a hybrid owner. I disagree.

Go full electric if it suits your circumstances; and indeed if you want it.

Or go full ICE if not.

Obviously this is subjective and I’m sure a fellow T8 owner will be along shortly to tell me that I’m wrong and hybrids are great!

Hybrids are great for BIK reasons if your circumstances don’t fit a full EV. Outside of that, cost outlay I don’t think makes it worth it.

And just look up ERAD on here for when the complex hybrid systems go wrong….
Funnily enough when I was changing to the V90 Cross Country I was looking at the T8 hybrid, as I thought the 30 mile electric range would suit my lifestyle for most if not all of my local miles, I then "did the math" as they say. The £10k premium for the hybrid buys a lot of fuel, which together with the potential problem with the erad units, lead in the end to the head ruling the heart and a D4 purchase.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 13:50   #302
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
As a hybrid owner. I disagree.

Go full electric if it suits your circumstances; and indeed if you want it.

Or go full ICE if not.

Obviously this is subjective and I’m sure a fellow T8 owner will be along shortly to tell me that I’m wrong and hybrids are great!
If I had to choose just one car for all my motoring needs today it would be a diesel hybrid. Diesel for distance, electric for city driving preferably with a 50+ mile range.

BEV has a looooong way to go, we're still at the replacing the horse with an engine stage of 100+ years ago switching from horse drawn carriages to petrol cars. People are used to cars looking like cars, I'd love to come back in 50+ years and see what a "car" looks like. It won't be what we know today.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 14:27   #303
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Bwahahaha 😂 😂

You’re a joke pal
Well that's the gift of the internet where people like you can spout off about people like me with very little chance of ending up face to face.

Ok I'm old now but I wasn't always and there's plenty of people who would disagree with you quite firmly anyway because when I mentioned the fists they never come out on anyone other than those that attacked either me or whoever I chose to assist who were being attacked at the time first, even as an old man four 20 somethings ran away a few years ago when I intervened on their little lets beat one fella up party, they'd managed to split his face open before I got there and I actually saved them at the same time as the level of attack would've probably left him dead in the road, see unlike a lot of people my first reaction isn't to pull the phone out and film it, howbout you?

I guess you're wondering if I'm ex mob? nope not so but what they teach them is in me as a natural thing, never had any martial arts training either but it just comes out when there's a flashpoint, maybe I was Bruce Lee before, na he was still around long after I arrived, maybe it's my mum Dirty Harriot where I get it from, got a great B&W of her at the range back in the 50's doing Police arms training, do you feel lucky punk? well do ya!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 14:31   #304
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I'm going for a lie down now, I feel dizzy.🤣🤣🤣

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 15:06   #305
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Well that's the gift of the internet where people like you can spout off about people like me with very little chance of ending up face to face.

Ok I'm old now but I wasn't always and there's plenty of people who would disagree with you quite firmly anyway because when I mentioned the fists they never come out on anyone other than those that attacked either me or whoever I chose to assist who were being attacked at the time first, even as an old man four 20 somethings ran away a few years ago when I intervened on their little lets beat one fella up party, they'd managed to split his face open before I got there and I actually saved them at the same time as the level of attack would've probably left him dead in the road, see unlike a lot of people my first reaction isn't to pull the phone out and film it, howbout you?

I guess you're wondering if I'm ex mob? nope not so but what they teach them is in me as a natural thing, never had any martial arts training either but it just comes out when there's a flashpoint, maybe I was Bruce Lee before, na he was still around long after I arrived, maybe it's my mum Dirty Harriot where I get it from, got a great B&W of her at the range back in the 50's doing Police arms training, do you feel lucky punk? well do ya!
Strange as it was only after the 1975 Sex Discrimination Act that WPCs were allowed to handle firearms.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:08   #306
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
Strange as it was only after the 1975 Sex Discrimination Act that WPCs were allowed to handle firearms.
Perhaps your pay grade isn't high enough to work it out.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:12   #307
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Anyway in response to Cull and Fastpat I'm wondering why when you never visited this part of the forum before you now find yourselves participating in it since I was asked to leave the lounge, is there something appealing here now that you didn't realise before or am I such a Piper that you just had to follow.

As I said earlier I'm being re-located soon and will probably take the opp to not be here anymore as it's getting draining now.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:23   #308
Moomoo
VOC Member

Is there a French expression for deja vu when the deja vu is unwelcome?🤔
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:25   #309
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Is there a French expression for deja vu when the deja vu is unwelcome?🤔
Well I was told I and several others were not allowed in the lounge anymore, seems that's not the case and it's just I, so I moved here and for a while it was nice until the same names followed me out, Pal lol.

https://tenor.com/en-GB/view/pied-piper-gif-18164155
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 16:34   #310
Moomoo
VOC Member

Trompé.