Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Replace the Alarm Siren Module

Views : 54154

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 22:38   #21
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

I have been meaning to add to this thread for ages, but forgot where I left it!

In my kit from Rufe also came a new bonnet switch/lock.

I didn't need this, it seems to be an alarm addition kit that I got rather than a service kit, so if anyone needs a new bonnet switch/lock, you can have it for free.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 15:06   #22
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Dont foreget peeps the phase 1 v70 has a differant type of siren fitted
(9162941),I am doing mine as we speak,i am replacing the battery pack with a new one,there is a bit of soldering involved,the good news is, the four nicad batteries cost £12.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 19:14   #23
Dynosaur
GoldMember

After about 12 months of waking up to a near-empty battery (as drained nightly, by the duff siren), I finally got round to peeling back the mudguard and swapping out mine today.

Easy-peasy lemon-cheesecake.

My kit came with a regular bolt rather than a security jobbie (it'd take a pretty determined thief to remove the front wheel and drill out the mudguard rivets, just to disable the siren).

Anyroadup, to remove the existing round-ish head security bolt, I cut a slot in it with me trusty Dremel disk and she came out with a short, flat and hairy screwdriver .... and ne'ry a murmur.

I now look forward to getting more than a one shot start-or-bust tomorrow morning.
It's nice not to have the Alarm service message staring at me, every time I start her up.

Next - resealing the fuel tank and finding the duff injector with my shiny, new leak-off tester.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 21:50   #24
Nick44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynosaur View Post
(it'd take a pretty determined thief to remove the front wheel and drill out the mudguard rivets, just to disable the siren).

And drill out the locking wheel nut.

Ha Ha. That's exactly what I thought.
Volvo overkill as usual.
Or maybe overengineer.
Maybe just "Volvo" we love it really.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 20:30   #25
Bernard46

Just replaced the siren on my 2001 S80 using the instructions from Swedishandgerman - excellent instructions. The only difference in my case was I did not bother with disconnecting the battery - I didn't see why it should be necessary. It all went smoothly but boy is that siren in an akward place - right up at the very top front of the wheel arch - I don't know how Swedishandgerman managed to get the photos. The wheel arch cover was a bit of a pig to get off initially until I realised it had some built in clips holding onto the top of the wheel arch (up beyond the pop rivets) and even then it took a bit of bending to keep it partially out of the way. The only other difference I noticed was that the two nuts referred to seem to be plastic 'catches' rather than proper nuts and they held a strange metal plate up against the plastic wheel arch cover - this metal plate didn't really seem to do anything (not even offering any armour protection) and I was a bit concerned at refitting the plastic "catches" since it would be very easy to strip the plastic by using too much force - without a fair amount of force the metal plate didn't seem to be that flush with the plastic wheel arch cover, but we'll see how it goes. Anyway having done it all in about an hour I tested it out by locking up with the key fob and then poking my hand thgrough the open window - the alarm went off as expected and apart from a message telling me the alarm had been triggered and to check the car I haven't seen any sign of any more messages, so no need to reset anything.

Having got the old alram off I did a bit of searching around on the web for the part number (Bosch Australia F005 V00 0210) and it seems the same siren may be fitted to Audi TTs and the price of these Audi spares may be a little bit cheaper than the Volvo part (possibly because you don't get a frustratingly useless bonnet release catch thrown into the package for some wired reason). Anyway I didn't follow this up too closely buy if you are looking to save £20 or so it might be worth a bit of research here.
Bernard46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 14:16   #26
Nick44

Hi Bernard,
The "funny metal plate" is there is case the car is fitted with wider alloy wheels and is a tyre rubbing stop.
Yes I know that sounds daft, but there you are.
I replaced the siren module on a mates 2001 V70 last weekend, and you are right about the madness of the bonnet catch etc included in the kit.
I am relliably informed that the complete kit, with all the rivets, plastic trim clips, stickers et al is still considerably cheaper than just the siren module service replacement because the kit is an accessory rather than a part, and as such retails at less.

Thanks to Rufe at FRF for info and pricing.

From Rufe:-

I can see you have specifically asked for the siren on its own, but the reason we do not sell that is because it works out a lot more expensive to get just that. If you order the siren on its own the retail price is £156.00 including vat (we can supply it cheaper, at £134.16 including vat). This is just the siren, no rivets, no clips, no bonnet catch with microswitch, no security bolt. Its the exact same siren in the exact same box as it will be if bought in the kit below. If for some reason you still want to go for just the siren of course we can do that, but I can't imagine any reason why you want to get just that? The part number of the siren is 9452709. I know of other dealers who have been quite happy to supply just the siren on its own to customers who have not the difference but I feel I have to point out the fact that the kit is much cheaper, and you get all required parts for fitting.

Just to be absolutely clear, if you buy the siren kit in the quote below then you will get all of the following items:

* Siren (With Internal Battery) [9452709 x1]
* Bonnet Catch (With Microswitch for Alarm) [9483764 x1]
* Security Bolt [986937 x1]
* Black Plastic Headed Undershield Rivets [979878 x10]
* Plastic Clips [3541113 x11]
* A pair of new window alarm decals [9162875 x2]
* 5A Blade Fuse [967851 x1]

Here are the current prices and ordering information for these items.

All Prices shown Include VAT at 20% -

-------------------------------------------------
Alarm Siren Kit: [9499758]
Retail Price £111.46 / Our Price £91.40
(18% online customer discount off this item)
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:03   #27
Bernard46

Thanks for the info about the metal plate Nick. I must admit I feel a bit horrified that someone would fit tyres so wide that the side of the car needs protection from them rubbing against it, but I guess there's no telling what some people would do. I doubt that the plate will provide much protection since it is held on by two plastic "nuts" which I imagine any force at all (let alone the force of a moving tyre) would very easily remove the nuts and the plate. Its not as if the existing lorry-width tyres need to be wider - they are staggeringly wide anyway.

I was aware of the price of the siren alone (you do have to wonder about the logic used by these companies sometimes) which is why I purchased the kit (from FEF actually) - my speculation was really in relation to the Audi TT siren which I think is the same and seems to be available for quite a few quid less, but I freely admit I have not researeched this in detail since I've spent my money and its academic to me now. Interestingly Volvo don't seem to think it necessary to include two replacement plastic nuts (and why not metal ones) for the metal plate - to my mind this would have been much more sensible than everything else other than the pop rivets and the security bolt.

Just as a mater of interest do you have any idea why Volvo package the bonnet release catch with the siren - it strikes me as completely off the wall.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 20:51   #28
Nick44

Hi Bernard,
Yes I do,
The bonnet catch is there as it is a kit to equip a car with an alarm that doesn’t have one, That’s why you get the stickers too.

The metal plate thing is ( I understand) to get around MOT regulations. Normally if a wheel fouls the bodywork that constitutes a fail.
See this interesting thread:-

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=35058

Quote from user bigtree.

“I panicked about this, but it is a known issue, even to vosa, the MOT people!. Have a look at their website.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk and type MOT 35 in the search box. “
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 22:57   #29
Bernard46

Nick,

Well knock me down with a feather! Why on earth do Volvo design a prestige car like the S80 such that the wheels can rub the body work!! I have Option 2 tyres and so far (108K miles) I have seen no sign of any tyre rubbing and I probably use full hard lock every day getting out of my drive. The metal plate was in pristine condition - I even washed it since I had it off! the really interesting thing is it makes the wheel arch a bit narrower, so presumably makes tyre rubbing more likely - maybe the MoT folks don't mind rubbing on metal but do mind rubbing on plastic, although it didn't seem like it based on their article. By the way did you think there was any positive conclusion from them? I thought their comments were a typical piece of official sitting on the fence type of comment, so that they couldn't be blamed for anything.

Your comment about it being a kit makes sense with regard to the bonnet lock, but its a bit of a strange kit - why not include the interior sensor etc. I also do have some small doubts since I once tried to get my dealer to fit a Volvo phone kit after I'd had the car for a few months and despite ordering the additional bits and pieces they found out that the car did not have the correct wiring loom (or so they said) to attach the bits to, so I do wonder if you can fit an alarmed bonnet catch to a car which did not have a factory fitted alarm in the first place - maybe its the only bit you can add to the S80 after its left the factory!

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:46   #30
keithdixon

Fantastic write up, had ordered the parts from Rufe, the kit was 91.40 plus 5.99 p&p

I did not fancy removing the bumper and had read this thread.
As mentioned, jack front right corner (UK) and remove wheel, drill some rivets with 6mm undo 2 plastic nuts, a quick tap with a chistle on the security bolt holding the siren in place.
Swap siren and put back together.
Total time 30mins ish.

Did not replace the bonnet catch.
(Took me longer to find my rivet gun!)
keithdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keithdixon For This Useful Post: