Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed restriction to 115MpH

Views : 10859

Replies : 107

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 23:30   #21
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
But more likely at 120 than 70.
Assuming the 112 - 115 is limited in the same way as the existing speed limiter you have normal performance up to the limit. Tell me where in the UK on a public road you can safely drive at 100 mph +
Actually, would it surprise you to find out that the stats show you're more than likely to have a speed related accident:-

Types of Speed-related Crashes

 Most collisions involved loss of control of the vehicle, usually on a bend. Other reasons included
vehicles travelling around blind bends, or following other vehicles too closely.
 Collisions were more likely on unclassified rural roads, with excess speed being more likely on 30 mph
roads, and inappropriate speed on 60 mph rural roads.
 Male drivers under 30 years old, and especially under 21 years old, were more likely to be involved in
speed-related collisions.
 Car drivers and motorcyclists were more likely to be involved in speed-related collisions than drivers of
other vehicles.
 Drivers who crashed while exceeding the speed limit were more likely to be assigned contributory
factors such as ‘aggressive driving’, ‘careless, reckless or in a hurry’, ‘impaired by alcohol’ or in a
‘stolen vehicle’.
 Drivers who crashed while travelling at inappropriate speed were more likely to be assigned factors
such as ‘careless, reckless or in a hurry’, ‘vision affected by road layout’, ‘vision affected by rain, sleet,
snow or fog’ and ‘slippery road (due to weather)’.

Also, interstlingly

The risk of injury in any collision is influenced by many factors, including the vehicle’s speed, its design,
strength and occupant protection systems, whether the occupants were wearing seat belts, the nature of the
other vehicle(s) or object(s) struck, and the medical care received by the victims.
However, car drivers are much more likely to be injured in collisions at higher speeds. On average, in frontal
impacts, belted drivers have a 17% risk of being fatally injured in impacts at 40 mph and a 60% risk at 50 mph.
Having said that, half of drivers who were fatally injured were in an impact of 34 mph or less.

So whilst you would be more likely to be mortally injured at +115mph, you're less likely to actually crash at that speed, due to the road I expect or from the sounds of it anyway, i.e. being able to see further ahead, I've also read elsewhere that there are fewer crashes on motorways per mile than on any other road.

http://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/a...iate-speed.pdf

My opinion, the 70mph on dual carriageways is outdated and should be increased anyway, the 70mph is based on old tech, cars are much safer nowadays, the advances in safety and technology in cars and roadside has leaped ahead whilst the old laws have stagnated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 09:56   #22
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post

My opinion, the 70mph on dual carriageways is outdated and should be increased anyway, the 70mph is based on old tech, cars are much safer nowadays, the advances in safety and technology in cars and roadside has leaped ahead whilst the old laws have stagnated.
December 22nd 1995 saw the temporary introduction of the 70mph speed limit.
You are right Bashy. Technology has moved ahead.
It has been muted for years to have the present 70mph national limit increased.
In reality, millions have been spent to reduce speed on motorways, by erecting gantries and cameras every few yards. Probably in preparation for the day we will all be driving milk floats.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 10:21   #23
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
December 22nd 1995 saw the temporary introduction of the 70mph speed limit.
You're 30 years out.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 10:25   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
Don't Volvo claim something along the lines of 'You cant be killed in a Volvo'?
yes , they say " No one will be killed or seriously injured in any of our new cars from 2020 " adding the speed limiter is the only practical way to do this , as any thing that goes wrong when doing ultra high speeds is instant death in any car. Also killing many innocent drivers driving properly on the way of course.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 11:07   #25
AB-UK
Premier Member

"mooted"
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 11:20   #26
Hubband

I am writing two different posts because I would appreciate an actual answer to this question instead of an ideological discussion of the point at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post

But when googling I may have found my answer that it can be done with a DICE and Vdash.
Could you explain, please? Thanks.
Hubband is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubband For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 11:41   #27
Hubband

On another note...I do not understand why so often, when people ask a question, other people feel the need to start lecturing them instead of just giving an answer or refraining from participation in this discussion.

This is especially painful to watch when these arguments are based more on vague feelings than facts. May I point out that out of the ~3'000 road fatalities in Germany, the only developed country with no speed limits on their freeways, only 199 involving cars happened on the Autobahn (https://www.destatis.de/EN/Themes/So...nts/_node.html).

This number makes no mention of the type of cars (old vs. new with lots of safety tech) or speeds (much of Germany's Autobahn is now restricted) involved.

The corresponding number in Britain is slightly lower (~130 when adjusted for population; https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...n-results-2018), but when you look at road fatalities globally, you will find that Germany has lower relative numbers than all but ~10 countries in the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate). So I am not sure that "high speed kills" is a balanced statement.
Attached Images
File Type: png traffic-accidents-selected-types-of-road.png (23.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Hubband; Aug 21st, 2020 at 11:45.
Hubband is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hubband For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 12:18   #28
Automatic Only

Whilst this currently doesn't affect me as my car is an MY20 and isn't restricted in this way, I'm increasingly thinking that my next car is not very likely to be a Volvo. Yes I hardly ever go this fast but to have the option to do so is important to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Automatic Only For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 12:42   #29
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubband View Post
On another note...I do not understand why so often, when people ask a question, other people feel the need to start lecturing them instead of just giving an answer or refraining from participation in this discussion.

This is especially painful to watch when these arguments are based more on vague feelings than facts. May I point out that out of the ~3'000 road fatalities in Germany, the only developed country with no speed limits on their freeways, only 199 involving cars happened on the Autobahn (https://www.destatis.de/EN/Themes/So...nts/_node.html).

This number makes no mention of the type of cars (old vs. new with lots of safety tech) or speeds (much of Germany's Autobahn is now restricted) involved.

The corresponding number in Britain is slightly lower (~130 when adjusted for population; https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...n-results-2018), but when you look at road fatalities globally, you will find that Germany has lower relative numbers than all but ~10 countries in the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate). So I am not sure that "high speed kills" is a balanced statement.
It's an internet forum, that's what happens on internet forums.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 13:32   #30
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
You're 30 years out.
Yep!
You are right.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post: